Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: finally had it with pinto
rosey1

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
finally had it with pinto

after £600 and the 5 garage and with the advise off here still cant get pinto to run right so dont think i will put on road this year .the question is what engine shall i put in and is there anyone who is willing to put one in for a fee
02GF74

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
don't recall seeing you posts about yourt problems.

also knowing your location may entice offers of help.

pintos are as simple as they get - what have changed from standard to give your problems, and what problems?

BTW there is a 2.1 pinto for sale on here.

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another pinto is the easiest option. And I still dont understand how you are still struggling. There must be something fundamentally wrong somewhere.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rosey1

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
not sure why they cany sort it but it wont set up and dont want to chuck more money at it .
and its had mild cam stage 2 head and brand new carb

speedyxjs

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
don't recall seeing you posts about yourt problems.

Linky

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Righto back to basics

Still the same problem, wont rev?

Ticks over ok?

What does it do when it wont rev, does it seem to bog down and chuck out black smoke? Or does it spit back through the carb? Or does it just stumble?

Cam timing checked properly? If its a fast road cam it needs to be set with a timing disc

Compression tested? Should be even across all cylinders

Valve clearances checked - these are non standard for a fast road cam and usually something like 0.25 and 0.2

Try to rev it and then cut the engine without letting it tickover. What colour are the plugs?

I had a similar problem trying to run an electronic ignition coil from a points dizzy. The coil overheats in a few seconds at anything over tickover and the engine wont rev then stalls. Are you using the correct coil for your dizzy and have the proper power to it? (Ballasted or unballasted)

Is your ignition timing set correctly. You should expect to run a minimum of 12deg at idle with a fast road cam. Anything less and it wont run properly.

If I were closer I would come and have a look, but unfortunately you are miles away

David

[Edited on 24/6/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mad-butcher

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
When you bought the carbs did you buy them specifically for the pinto and jetted for same.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
i would start with, where are you?

if you put your location in your profile then there maybe someone close to you that could pot round and take a look

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ever had the engine running properly? If so what changed? How many teeth has your cam belt got? Early sierra/capri/cortina cam belts had different amount of teeth to the later pintos in sierras. Maybe worth a count.

I'd be thinking about buying another pinto in, easy change and if the problem is still there, flog it again and look at you fueling ,pump or carb!

If its dgav or dgas don't have a return to the tank, just block off the fuel return on the carb (bit of pipe with a bolt up and fuel clip will do nicely) and make sure you have the fuel supply on the inlet and not on the return!!

Do you know if the carb is a worker, try and borrow another dgav or dgas to try...

Can we have some nice close up pictures of your set up especially carb area?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

jpindy3

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i would start with, where are you?

if you put your location in your profile then there maybe someone close to you that could pot round and take a look

you took the words right out of my post,

i rember in other posts people aksed where do you live i carnt remember if thay replied,

i think thay like to be a secret scwiral

you know what i mean,tree rat

miikae

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Scunthorpe as from a previous post i seem to remember

Mike.

If it can be done it i will be done .

BenB

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto shminto.

The god of the Otto cycle is trying to tell you something

Scrap the pinto and move into the late 20th century!!!

If it's costing you money (and time) to pay someone to get the pinto running you'ld be better off doing a quick conversion... Zetec??? I seem to remember shelling out £500 to get a Xflow working (only for it to well and truly shaft it's distributor on a long drive)- could of done a nice little engine swap for that money!! For the time and money I could have done a fuel injected zetec with megasquirt....

Then again, how difficult can it be to get it running? Spark, fuel and compression. If you've got all three and yet it runs like a pig it's either timing or a fuelling problem!!! A timing lamp and a visit to a Krypton tuner should suffice...

britishtrident

posted on 25/6/09 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto's are old and obsolete but very very simple, and from the symptoms you have previously described only about 5 things can possibly be wrong with your engine/car all of which take only 5 to 10 minutes each to eliminate with simple checks and if you can't work logically through those ............ my advice is just sell up and buy yourself a nice MX5 with a dealers warranty.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

James

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
There must be someone near Scunthorpe that can come and have a look?

I had a look at your pics Rosey and it's a really lovely looking build- well done! Did you make the hood/screens yourself?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

rosey1

posted on 25/6/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
you would think the car garages could sort it and they cant find out whats wrong so what chance do i have at the end of the day i am a butcher
britishtrident

posted on 25/6/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosey1
you would think the car garages could sort it and they cant find out whats wrong so what chance do i have at the end of the day i am a butcher

Garages haven't a clue modern mechanics are generally idiots these days nobody wants a job that involves getting your hands dirty and too make matters worse Maggie Thatcher all but killed proper apprenticeships --- I know butchers and groccers who have built bloody fast racing cars.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Benzine

posted on 25/6/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Maggie Thatcher all but killed proper apprenticeships

The swirly ice cream, I don't know if you know, was invented by Margaret Thatcher when she studied chemistry at Oxford. Just one of the wonderful things she did before she was betrayed.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Staple balls

posted on 25/6/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

The swirly ice cream, I don't know if you know, was invented by Margaret Thatcher when she studied chemistry at Oxford. Just one of the wonderful things she did before she was betrayed.

You mean the low grade ice cream that's filled with air and chemicals, rather than nice dense stuff made properly, with flavours and actual dairy products?

So, that's another thing that she buggered up.

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 25/6/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you? Im a mobile mechanic and you seem to be easily parted with your cash, £600 and still not right.

Paul

rosey1

posted on 25/6/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
scunthorpe
jacko

posted on 25/6/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can we start at the beginning what is the engine doing ?
will it start and run /tick over ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.