Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY wheel alignment
Northy

posted on 1/7/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
DIY wheel alignment

Hi all,

After a 3 year lay up of my car I think I'm now not as brave as I used to be and have realised that the suspension is basically all set up to shit!

Any pointers on what I need to do? I know the principals, just not sure the best way to do it on the Avon.

I've read some threads on here, that suggest centring the rack first, but I'm not sure what that means

What sort of figures should I be aiming at to set everything to?

Cheers,

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 1/7/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
I've read some threads on here, that suggest centring the rack first, but I'm not sure what that means

You should check that the steering rack is truly centred in terms of its mount across the car. Put the steering on full lock one way, measure how far the steering arms extend past a known chassis point then do the opposite lock and compare the measurements. They should be the same assuming the chassis is straight.

Andy

nick205

posted on 1/7/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would recomend you buy/borrow a copy of this book by Des Hammill on setting up kit cars. Very easy to read an understand and gives real world advice - i.e. man in the garage with basic tools - on how to check, measure and adjust to get the best out of your car.

http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php?prod_id=V4207&prod_group=Performance Tuning & Modification&

Northy

posted on 1/7/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Where is the 'blush' smilie? I've just gone and got my copy of that from upstairs to have a read

Thanks,

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/7/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
That book must be gold plated... 2 sellers on amazon for new books, one price at £68.03 plus postage and the other at £104.96 plus postage,............ Are they MAD ????

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Northy

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up about the book lol, but it I read in another thread on here somewhere about centring the INTERNAL part of the rack in the chassis, not the rack case.

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

G

Graham

andyd

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Was my first reply not good enough?

By using the lock to lock method it shouldn't matter if the outside casing is "off" compared to the internals... or am I making it up? I've not tried it myself but it makes sense to me.

Andy

Northy

posted on 2/7/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, ok, I think I understand.

So lock to lock the distance say from the centre of the chassis to where the threads start on the rack tie rods should be the same? If they are not adjust the rack 'accross' the car (alter both tie rods) until it is?

Is that correct?

G

Graham

nick205

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
The rack needs to be central in the car, it also needs to be parallel horizontaly and vertically to the lower wishbone inner pivot points. The track rod inner ball joints should also be in line with the upper and lower wishbone inner pivot points - all this will help to eliminate (or minimise) bump steer.

First up disconnect the TREs from the uprights and wind the steering lock to lock and check that the steering wheel is correctly centred within the travel of the rack. Then adjust your track rods to be exactly the same length and reconnect the TREs to the uprights - now check and adjust the toe of the front wheels to the desired setting by adjusting BOTH track rods by EQUAL amounts so they're still exactly the same length.

If when you drive the car in a straight line the steering wheel is not in the correct dead ahead position then you know your rack is not centred in the chassis and which way to start moving it.

ETA...

...this assumes of course that your front lower wishbones are exactly the same length (worth checking) and that your ride height is level across the front of the car - i.e. front lower wishbone inner pivot points are parallel to the (flat/level) floor (again needs to be checked). You'll also need to check that camber is equal left and right too and then re-check after making rack/toe adjustments.

At the rear of the car, check that the wheels have between 2-3mm total toe in across the car - IIRC the Avon has rosejointed wishbones at the rear so this should be easy to adjust. Getting this right makes big difference to the way the car rides over uneven roads and passes round bends.

On top of this you'll need to consider corner weighting the car - search for posts on here for details of bathroom scale methods.

Lots to consider, check and adjust - it's quite time consuming, but very rewarding when you can feel improvements in the cars handling.

[Edited on 3/7/09 by nick205]

andyd

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds logical to me.

I'd first ignore the tie rods and just make sure the measurement from the known chassis point (and centre of one of the front rails sounds like a good bet) to the start of the threads is equal.

After that the amount the tie rod ends screw on should in theory be the same for both sides but will no doubt be slightly different to compensate for whatever toe-in/out you want to run. But you'll know that the rack is moving an equal distance from straight ahead to full left lock and from straight ahead to full right lock.

Edit to say: Yeah... what Nick said ^^^^

[Edited on 2/7/2009 by andyd]

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.