Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Veypor External Buttons - Resistor needed ??
johncarman

posted on 3/7/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Veypor External Buttons - Resistor needed ??

I have a Veypor VR2 dash and would like to fit external buttons on the steering wheel, I have found the schematic for hooking up the buttons here:
http://www.veypor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037&view=previous
The diagran looks simple enough but I am confused by the text, what does the line "pin 3 must be pulled to ground with a resistor, then when the button is pressed it should short it to +5v" mean ?? I understand the short it to +5V but do I need a resistor somewhere as well ?? Any electronice people here who can help out ??

Thanks,

John

Madinventions

posted on 3/7/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

From the sound of it you need a resistor between pin 3 and pin 1 (ground). This resistor should be around 4700ohms (4K7) to 10K and this value is not too important. It's purpose is to provide a 'weak' connection between pin 3 and ground to ensure that whatever is behind pin 3 always sees a defined logic level. If pin 3 is left disconnected then it is possible that the voltage on this pin can 'float' and the circuitry could see unpredicted levels and start to do funny things.
Anyway - tedious bit over. Connect a 10K resistor between pin 1 and pin 3. 10K resistors are colour coded either brown, black orange, or brown black black red depending on the type.

HTH,
Ed.

Madinventions

posted on 3/7/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
In fact, like this:

Ed.

02GF74

posted on 3/7/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ wot he says - maplins will sell resistor - 17 p, you need low popwer ones - make sure they get meter out and measure it - monkeys that work there cannot read the codes and too many a time they gave me wrong one whcih is really effing annoying as I then have to go back to get the correct value.

if you are stuck, don't want to spend 17 p or don;t trust maplins staff, I can pop one in post to you.

johncarman

posted on 6/7/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thats great, thanks guys, makes sense now !! I think I've a 10k resistor kicking around.

Thanks,

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.