Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sky + question
mookaloid

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
sky + question

What happens with Sky + when the telephone line is disconnected?

What do you miss out on?

Thanks

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

ChrisW

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you're outside the 12 month term from getting the box (or you bought the box outright), you loose nothing.

Well, the Interactive stuff won't work, but who uses that anyway?

Oh, and if you do multiroom, they will shut down your second card unless both boxes phone back from the same number. It's their way of checking you've not sold the card to your neighbour!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
i think it uses the phone line to call a freephone number to sky to check its plugged in and everythings above board. ie, make sure the phone number it calls from is the phone number registered for you. makes sure your not using a home subscription in a pub or something

also used for entering sky competitions on the interactive button i think, but can live without that

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SteveWalker

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you use boxoffice, you'll only be allowed a certain amount of credit before the box refuses to do so any more, until it can download your choices to SKY for billing.
the_fbi

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Oh, and if you do multiroom, they will shut down your second card unless both boxes phone back from the same number. It's their way of checking you've not sold the card to your neighbour!

Thats what its supposed to do, but it certainly doesn't, at least for me.

Mine hasn't been on a landline for 36 months, its been 50 miles from "home" for 18 of them and had at least 1 card change (new issue) which "activated" automatically without a phoneline.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
don't they do system updates over the phone line?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GrumpyOne

posted on 10/7/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I took the phone line out as soon as the engineer had left, I have Sky + and multiroom. Hasn't made a blind bit of difference to it and I have had it for years.

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

blakep82

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
well, at least thats what they're supposed to do i've never heard mine phone anywhere....

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

they definitely do that

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JUD

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Never plugged mine in and everything works. Obviously I don't use boxoffice or interactive.

Some updates come via the sat signal - extra channels, changes to the channel structures, changes to to new HD TV guide recently.

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Hellfire

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
We disconnected the connection to the phone line years ago and only connect it temporarily when we want to watch a box office movie.

Phil

ChrisW

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
No, they're all done over the air. The Sky OS is quite large and would take forever to upgrade over the phone.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

mookaloid

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys.

You are going to love this: I have it connected to the telephone line using a wireless line extender system (DECT) which is what sky installers sell you if the box isn't near a phone line.

Apparently DECT systems cause drop outs on the sky sound and picture by interference hence I want to disconnect it.

Unplugging it now.......

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StevieB

posted on 10/7/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I actually received an additional charge for not having the live connected.

When I spoke to Sky (spoke, shouted = same thing!), the guy credited the charge back to me and told me that if I connect the phone line peridically won't be an issue. Since then I've managed to get a phone line extended to the multi room box and had no more 'problems'.

JoelP

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
mine too is disconnected.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 11/7/09 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
In our experience all that plugging the phone line into a sky box does is cause the phone line to sound sh*te and the internet to keep dropping off...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.