Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Blocked for sale adverts
balidey

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Blocked for sale adverts

What happened? All of a sudden I can't access the for sale threads unless either the advert is older than 48 hours, or I pay to be a contributor. I know that the obvious answer is to pay up, but I don't remember seeing any announcement that this was about to happen. Or did I miss it?
I know its not much to become a contributor, and it does help the running of the site, but I am a member on several forums and each one seems to be wanting money and each forum just says 'its only a few quid, look at all the benefits you get'.
I'm am going to contribute, (looks like I'm being forced too, which is not nice) but its going to have to be after the end of the month.

Andy W

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Icanttypeverywellwithonearmtiedbehindmyback

Andy

Werner Van Loock

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
just noticed it too

sad move, what's next, pay per view?

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
ive given my 4ps worth in the other thread, but to fellow posters - I really hope this doesnt put you guys off hanging out here!

P.s. you could always u2u the user who has posted the "for sale" thread if the title interests you

Craig

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit disappointed that there was no notice given, but at the end of the day it is only a fiver.

I understand that some will moan, plenty of forums to join etc. etc., but I've always found this site to be the broadest knowledge base, and full of friendly faces (or avatars!).

Thus, my hard earned cash has been electronically transferred - just means I can't have as many beers in the pub tonight.

Worse things have happened!

[Edited on 17/7/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at it from the other side, I'm glad my contribution now gets me something. It's just a shame it is not something extra rather than taking something from non contributers.
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
oh well all my stuffs definitely better being sold on e-bay then

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
oh well all my stuffs definitely better being sold on e-bay then

You'd rather pay 10% to eBay for everything you sell than a one-off fiver contribution to this site? If so, I'm glad my efforts (and expenditure) are appreciated.

Chris

[Edited on 7/17/2009 by ChrisW]

balidey

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone merge these threads?

Actaully I'm looking forward to being a contributor, I'm dieing to see whats in the club shop

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Chris
Since you're there - can I pay cash or cheque ?

See my post here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=117710

Cash is also fine, but in person only. I'm not too keen on giving out my address!

Chris

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
It’s not me I’m talking about but the folk who are able to view my items that seems to have reduced

or if I contribute does that make them available to view be anyone (even non-contributors) without the 48 hour delay? I could have sold the stuff by then.

tegwin

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the death bell I hear.... .... ..... Excelent way of putting new members off...

Especially the restrictions on the for sale/wanted section...... Thats a baaad move!

[Edited on 17/7/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Fair in two weeks then?

Chris

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Again, if you go on eBay, the chances of you putting less than a 3 day auction are pretty slim.

By then, any non-contributor can see you are selling an item of interest (as long as you make the subject sensible) and will come back after 48 hours.

All this does is give contributors a chance to grab the bargains first.

Just be glad I didn't link the wait time to number of posts, Whippy. Even if it was a minute delay per 'post, you'd be waiting a week to see anything! And yes, that is a hint!

Chris

quote:
It’s not me I’m talking about but the folk who are able to view my items that seems to have reduced

or if I contribute does that make them available to view be anyone (even non-contributors) without the 48 hour delay? I could have sold the stuff by then.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think those posters who have contributed to this sites overwhelming success by their selfless dedication of advice, time & support to other locost members, should by default get contributor status. The unsung hero’s of Locost Builders.

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Paid by PayPal Chris

Thanks John! Another fiver for the new server fund

Chris

balidey

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody double standards if you ask me, ChrisW asking for all this money going towards so called 'server updates', when he hasn't even got the contributor message under his name. Disgraceful
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I always meant to ask….just how huge is this server thing?!! Seems to hold an amazing amount of stuff, is it about the size of a fridge? What did it cost to buy? Does it host other forums or is it just dedicated to this site, I noticed other forums that looked very similar and thought they may also be on it? Maybe not don't know

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I always meant to ask….just how huge is this server thing?!! Seems to hold an amazing amount of stuff, is it about the size of a fridge? What did it cost to buy? Does it host other forums or is it just dedicated to this site, I noticed other forums that looked very similar and thought they may also be on it? Maybe not don't know

It looks just like the one in the meerkat advert.... sort of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hnoVqwkGo

Chris

Fozzie

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Is that the death bell I hear.... .... ..... Excelent way of putting new members off...

Especially the restrictions on the for sale/wanted section...... Thats a baaad move!

[Edited on 17/7/09 by tegwin]

It is only in the 'For Sale' section and for 48 hours for goodness sake!

People usually join the site because it is a car builders forum.......to get help, advice and encouragement......

Not to join up just to sell whatever for free.......

A 'one-off' fiver is just over the cost of one months car mag ......... or a couple of tinnies........

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Fozzie

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hnoVqwkGo

Chris

Looking at that vid on youtube I have got to say that shirt and tie does not suit me.....simples.....

However...your 'smoking' jacket suits you Chris....

Fozzie

mcerd1

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

do you accept scrap car parts as payment ?

-

andyharding

posted on 17/7/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cash is also fine, but in person only. I'm not too keen on giving out my address!

Chris

BULSTRODE COURT

Not hard to find if you do a search...

Staple balls

posted on 17/7/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have 2p from me.

If there'd been a post laying out the plans for the site, a new server etc. and asking people to donate, you'd probably have got more money and more goodwill from members.

Certainly I'd've donated (again, apparently) to keep LCB improving and get some not crap ancient forum software.

Saying, "nope, you're not allowed to see X and Y during Z, unless you pay" and giving no notice, well. The cash will be staying in my paypal account.

Just my opinion like, but Carrot > Stick

Fozzie

posted on 17/7/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
Have 2p from me.

If there'd been a post laying out the plans for the site, a new server etc. and asking people to donate, you'd probably have got more money and more goodwill from members.

Certainly I'd've donated (again, apparently) to keep LCB improving and get some not crap ancient forum software.

Saying, "nope, you're not allowed to see X and Y during Z, unless you pay" and giving no notice, well. The cash will be staying in my paypal account.

Just my opinion like, but Carrot > Stick

Not quite getting your point here...sorry

No one is being asked to 'contribute' again ...in fact, it is only the 'for sale' section for 48 hours for those who have never contributed. They don't have to......

Considering the amount of web traffic this site gets, break-downs are rare, and when they do happen, they are fixed pdq (pretty damn quick).

Many have made use of the extensive photo archive, and use it to the max...........old and outdated maybe.....but it works.......and easy to navigate.....

Fozzie

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.