Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 205 Gti engine problem
locosaki

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
205 Gti engine problem

Hi all,

I'm posting this on behalf of my brother,He has developed a problem with his 1900 gti.Anyway here is what he has posted else where,I thought I would try it on here.

Anyway,I done my first track day and the car was going superb but with 15 mins left of a 2 hour session a problem developed,I'll describe to the best of my knowledge.

I was flat out in 4th gear going up the straight,I braked and selected third before going into a corner,I checked the rear view mirror and there was nothing but blue smoke.I got back to the pits and lifted the bonnet,There was oil all over the top of engine which had obviously blown from the breather,I also noticed the destinct lack of power aswell when this happened !!

The car still starts(not quite as easy as before) There is no rattles,The engine still sounds fine ! Am I correct in thinking that this could be a piston ring problem ?

If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated,As it stands just now,I'm thinking of pulling the engine out and rebuilding the bottom end.

Cheers guys

Mike

[Edited on 18/7/09 by locosaki]

jpindy3

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
have you
eccsmk

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
*****EDIT*****

sounds like oil surge to me maybe a baffled sump is in order

[Edited on 18/7/09 by eccsmk]

[Edited on 18/7/09 by eccsmk]

RichardK

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
self worzling grommit knackered?

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
ring land gone
RichardK

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, we have detail now sounds like a ring or valve stem oil seal maybe, need a compression test really.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locosaki

posted on 18/7/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys,The car has a baffled sump,I had to fit it !!!

I will get a compression tester on Monday and will check the cylinders,My automatic reaction was also rings but I know nothing about Peugeots !!

Cheers Guys

eccsmk

posted on 18/7/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote

i really should read things properly

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/7/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
They have a bottle brush arrangement in the breather pipes. Take it out, clean it and replace it.

If that doesn't work - rebore, rings.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

joolsmi16

posted on 18/7/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
GTI

valve steam oil seal, as both the 1.6 and 1.9 engs are know for this prob...
rusty nuts

posted on 18/7/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Unlikely to be valve stem oil seals as the engine was covered with oil . Typical valve stem seals symptoms is smoking after a period of idling .
nick205

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
If the valve stem seals have never been done they will need doing on a Pug. However that's unlikely to be your problem here - as above stem seals result in smoke on start up and after idling.

I'd start be removing and thoroughly cleaning all the engine breather and oil filler pipes followed by a an oil and filter change. Use a genuine Pug oil filter, they're not expensive and they have the correct pressure relief valve built in.

As touched on above the oil filler cap is an integral part of the oil breather system. These tend to get clagged up over time with oil deposits which chokes the breather system. At worst it will be full of white gooey mess. From new it's fitted with a ball of wire mesh designed to seperate oil from oil vapour before it's recirculated into the inlet tracts. The best thing to do is simply replace the filler cap with a genuine new Pug one.

While you're cleaining the breather system also dismantle the air inlet hose from the throttle body and give the body/butterfly a really good clean out with carb cleaner including the little idle bypass air passage that runs through the casting over the top of the butterfly. Lightly oil the throttle linkage afterwards as the carb cleaner tends to get verywhere and remove any existing lubrication.

The drop in engine power was most likely due to the engine sucking in a looad of oil which will have fouled the plugs and then burnt off giving the smoke output you noticed. As a matter of course I'd remove and replace the plugs to ensure you start afresh.

Good luck

[Edited on 19/7/09 by nick205]

britishtrident

posted on 19/7/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming the sump wasn't over filled either a b choked breather or knackered piston rings.

If it is an oil control ring it won't normally show up in a compression test or a even a proper cylinder leak down test..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

locosaki

posted on 19/7/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input,much appreciated.

I've been for a look at the car today,I'm of the opinion that it's requiring rings,It does tick over but not as good as before,The oil pressure when cold used to be 80PSI,now when ticking over its down to 50PSI(until revved it goes back up to 80)

I would have thought if the breather was choked you wouldn't be able too see it breath at the oil cap,Even when I removed the dipstick today when the car was running there appeared to be a lot of back pressure there also.I will check all breathers this afternoon before pulling the engine out tomorrow.

Thanks again

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.