Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A few questions about my new BEC
bi22le

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
A few questions about my new BEC

Hi all I am now a BEC owner! collected this on Thursday and have driven it for about 3 hours so far due to weather!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1109152.htm

It is amazing, more fun, faster and and more useable than I thought it would be and I had high expectations! Not an ounce of regret in getting a BEC!

I have a few questions though.

RE: Digidash 2 LITE
1) My fuel gauge only goes to 90% when full up so I dont trust it on the lower levels incase it runs out. common problem? Any quick fixes. The tank looks like a factory MAC1 with built in sender.
2) Whats the expected oil pressure on a GSXR1000 K4 on tick over? The Oil warning comes on at about 6PSI. It has no oil leaks or cooling issues so Im happy just to lower the pressure warning on the DD2. if it springs a serious leak surly the PSi will be 1 or 2 PSI.
3) Gearing flickers between gears sometimes. Setting up the DD2 a bit better and getting the ratios correct may solve this. Does anyone else get this on thier DD2 with R1, GSXR or equivellent?

RE: drive chain.
1) There is an excessive nocking coming from the rear of the car when changing gear. Im thinking its due to some slack in the prop \ Diff coupling that nocks when the power is removed then reapplied. It does not do it when not changing gear. It is not the gear linkage as I have checked it. Diff oil is good. any ideas?

Oh and the steering wheel is about 10deg of centre and I cant find anywhere to remove that angle! any advice?

Sorry for the long post!!

Bi22le

02GF74

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Oh and the steering wheel is about 10deg of centre and I cant find anywhere to remove that angle! any advice?

depends on hwat steering wheel and column.

most are splined so in whcih case unbolt the steering wheel and move over by one or two splines.

If you cannot do that, then thare are spline in rthe coloumn UJ and on the rack itself - so same again.

if you cannot do that, then you need to wind one track rod end in ansd other outr by same amount to maintain same tracking.

tomgregory2000

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

if you cannot do that, then you need to wind one track rod end in ansd other outr by same amount to maintain same tracking.

Do not do this!
Make sure the rack is centered NOT the wheel
If you adjust the rack so one arm is longer than the other when the wheels are pointing forward you will ruin the feel of the car as the arms will be moving in different arcs to eachother and make the car skittish over bumpy ground and under braking.
So center rack!!
Then look at moving the colum on the splines where it attachs to the rack.

richardlee237

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
The last bike engine I worked on was 650 Matchless circa 1960 so I stand to be corrected

BUT 6 psi oil pressure sounds horribly low and 1 or 2 psi suicidal.

It must take a differential of 5 psi just to circulate the oil around the galleries and filter.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

blakep82

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
well, i don't have a bec myself, i drove one once, soooo i could be wrong

fuel gauge: you might find the level sender doesn't go the full range in the tank, empty should still read empty though. might need taking out and the float rods adjusted if it has them.
maybe try taking out a can of fuel, and drive til it runs out, see what the gauge says? that way you know if empty is accurate

someone on here last week (?) had a bike engine, not sure which one, it was about 6psi on tick over i think, going up to about 60psi when driving, so it might be ok. you'll need more answers on that though, its an important one

gear indicator seems to have the wrong settings. should be easily corrected. all it does is knows the realtionship between engine speed and road speed and displays which gear is the right one.

clunking when changine gear, its what bike engines do

steering, do NOT adjust it by the track rods, its the worst idea i've heard i think
if you've got a sierra rack it'll have splines in the rack, adjust it there. if you have 2 UJs in the collumn, you should have 4 places where you can adjust it, and if you have a removable quik release steering boss, thats a fith place you can adjust

[Edited on 19/7/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cloudy

posted on 19/7/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Oil pressure is VERY low, for comparison mine runs 28psi hot idle with water like castrol power1 racing

James

www.warnercars.com

afj

posted on 19/7/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
oil pressure sounds right the service manual for the R1 i know not the same is 6.5 psi at 1000 - 1100 rpm

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hobbsy

posted on 19/7/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Clunks when changing gear coming from the diff are normal but disconcerting at first.

Oil pressure is maybe ever so slightly low - my R1 is under 10 psi at a hot idle, maybe about 8 or 9.

cloudy - 28psi sounds quite high at idle unless you idle is very high - what engine is that?

Its usually around 10psi per 1000rpm when hot with a bike engine - until the PRV opens!

huskychaser

posted on 19/7/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Re bec!!

Hi, if i had payed that sort of money i would expect it to be all correct!!!
nitram38

posted on 19/7/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1 is 6psi hot idle and around 60psi above 3000rpm. Mine is as per the manual. I suggest that you do a search for a manual online, they are out there.
Noisey beggars, BEC's. It will take you a while to feel comfortable with all of the wirrs & clunks.
It's the BANGS that you want to watch out for!

02GF74

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

steering, do NOT adjust it by the track rods, its the worst idea i've heard i think

good point - but I bet kwik fit and every other garage up and down the country will wind in one track rod when doing tracking - I cannot see them undoing both sides and counting trurns or measuring the overall track length to centre of rack.

s2gse

posted on 19/7/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
i have a GSXR1000K4 in my MK indy

the oil pressure on a gsxr 1000 k4 would be 15 psi to 60 psi at 3000 rpm
oil pressure and levels are very important on the gsxr's make sure you have plenty of oil

when you put a bec into 1st gear they do make a heavey clunk

life's to short and so was the drive

blueskate

posted on 19/7/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had a few issues with the dd2 and the gear indicator. Turns out the gear ratios had been loaded in wrong, and the speed calculator hadn't been configured correctly. Connect up your pc up tot he dash and check the ratios first. If you get stuck u2u me and i'll give you my mobile number.

Semper Paratus!

gaz_gaz

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
i just looked at the gsxr manual and it says

OIL PRESSURE SPECIFICATION

100 - 400 kPa (1.0 - 4.0 kgf/cm2, 14 - 57 psi) at 3 000 r/min., Oil temp. at 60°C (140 OF)

If the oil pressure is lower or higher than the specification, the following causes may be considered.

Now is it just me or does that seem to be a rather large acceptable tolerance?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.