Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3 V8 Outboards, 1 boat!!!
donut

posted on 21/7/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
3 V8 Outboards, 1 boat!!!

While on holiday in the South of France i spotted this day boat that was erm....slightly over powered!

or not!!

3 V8 Outboards 1 boat!
3 V8 Outboards 1 boat!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 21/7/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cool - imagine his fuel bill

I often wonder how well they would work in a car - must be quiet light and with 350 hp pretty impressive - another form of oBEC.

Anybody know of any reason why it wouldn't work or anybody done it.

Ah - here we go - really Locost - looks like a seagul will do the job http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/09/12/outboard-motor-car-does-40-miles-an-hour/

[Edited on 21/7/09 by Ivan]

donut

posted on 21/7/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling would prob be a problem. I imagine you would have to carry more water than a std car.

Nice idea though!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 21/7/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
long hose pipe or drive next to a lake ......

surely it would need approx what ever an 11 litre engine producing x hp would need.

(or large truck radiator)

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Not enough...

Liam

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
LOL! Out of interest, what units are boat engine bragging stickers in? Is that 350 cubic inches or bhp?
Marcus

posted on 21/7/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thems is horses dude

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

scutter

posted on 21/7/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not enough...

How fast a fish is that man planning on catching, wholely agree that you can never have too much power though.

Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Liam

posted on 21/7/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
That's nothing, losers! I've got one of these down at the marina. Thinking of fitting some outriggers to hold a few more engines either side as I find it under-powered when trying to out run the police chopper with a particularly heavy load of drugs and guns.

Liam Rescued attachment outboards.jpg
Rescued attachment outboards.jpg

Ninehigh

posted on 22/7/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
That's nothing, losers! I've got one of these down at the marina. Thinking of fitting some outriggers to hold a few more engines either side as I find it under-powered when trying to out run the police chopper with a particularly heavy load of drugs and guns.

Liam

Who are you, Jeremy Clarkson? Or his evil twin?

donut

posted on 22/7/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Oh lordy!!

Andy

02GF74

posted on 23/7/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

I often wonder how well they would work in a car - must be quiet light and with 350 hp pretty impressive - another form of oBEC.

Anybody know of any reason why it wouldn't work or anybody done it.

There was talk on Land Rover forum to fit one one each wheel meant to have pretty decent power to weight. Dunno if it went much beyond the discussion stage.

Ninehigh

posted on 25/7/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
There'll probably be some nutter that does it!

Stuart_B

posted on 25/7/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
i has looking in to it, as i had a chance at a 200hp v6, the only problem i could not over come, has the gearbox issue, every think else i think i could do.

plus as well if you can get a efi one, which you could tilt it so it is horztaily,and then soem how mate it to a type 9 box, and then the water pump, will be router though a very big raditor, with a large fan.lol

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Confused but excited.

posted on 28/7/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Outboard engines were used in bikes in the early sixties.
A 600cc Konig in an AJS 7R frame did 140 mph without any difficulty. IIRC he used a Ford heater matrix as a radiator.
I fancied putting a 250 Konig in a 125 frame that I had, after reading about the AJ. So I scooted of to the chandlers in Frodsham and asked if he had a second hand one in. The reply I got was, yes I have a reconditioned one here, it's only £85.
: That was 14 weeks wages for me then.
The dream died.
But recenty I started to wonder what a straight six two-stroke in a 7 would sound like?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ninehigh

posted on 30/7/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Very loud I'd imagine!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.