Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: audi 20v
goodall

posted on 27/7/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
audi 20v

hi, i have recently been taking a 90 quattro 20v to pieces as a parts car for my other audi

however iv started to think about locosts again
the engine is 2.3 5 cylinder 170bhp outa the box, remap and decat and the like meant to give 200. the engines a small smaller than pinto dimensionally comparing it to a 1800 pinto i have. so im thinking will fit in a book size chassis. i need work out a gearbox, was thinking about a 924 bell on a type9 however anyone any better idea would like to hear

it also has some ok looking hubs for using on the rear perhaps, id need design a rear end make them work but nothing too hard, attached a pic the hubs aswell the engine

gregs

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
go for it is my view - you'd loose a couple of inches off the engine height throwing the intake (I think 5 ITBs would look particularly cool!)

I have a pipe dream of fitting a VW 16v into my RH, my current thinking for gearbox is using a V6 type 9 and using the spare inch to make a adaptor plate....

zilspeed

posted on 28/7/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Some light research required first.

I understand that there is a degree of modularity between 4 and 5 cylinder VAG engines of that era - that engine being a 5 cylinder version of the the 4 cylinder KR found in the Golf 16V of that era.

If that is indeed the case, look to the ESTfield website where they have at least one car fitted with a KR engine, there may be some details of how they did the gearbox in there.

Found the page.

ESTfield VW

They used a Lada gearbox...

[Edited on 28/7/09 by zilspeed]

Volvorsport

posted on 28/7/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
if its the same block pattern as the 2.4 6cylinder diesel , then a volvo RWD box will fit .

Find an M46 , and you can use the bellhousing with an adapter plate for a getrag 265 .

that said the volvo 5 cylinder will be lighter than the audi !! , and has the same conservative power figures .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

SeaBass

posted on 28/7/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Agh.. The good old 7A! I was the proud owner of a 90Q 20v Sport.

It's an absolute anchor of an engine - it's also very tall when sat upright which it's not designed to do.

It's one of the first implementations of VW 4 valve per cylinder technology and the design of the heads is not the best. As you mention 200Bhp is supposed to possible with modification.

I'm aware of someone round here installing one running MS and five throttle bodies into a scimitar! Not sure if he's got it running yet.

JC

[Edited on 28/7/09 by SeaBass]

goodall

posted on 28/7/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
is the volvo 2.4 6cyl gearbox easy come by, i guess would be as easy asa 924 bell...

have looked at volvo engines and they are a lot nice lighter modern design, however its a shade bigger also i got this engine absolutely free! and its lighter than a pinto (not hard, i know) but way more powerful and smoother

the head design is very similar but i think the blocks are fairly different from the vw engines, and bell pattern may be different

as for fitting it upright, ill probably leave canted over, as itll give more length for itb intake runners. however i have seen a 400bhp+ turbo version fitted bolt upright should be ok with correct mods

id be interested in seeing a link to the scimitar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.