Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Loom
givemethebighammer

posted on 19/3/04 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Loom

Thinking about building my own loom, not to save money, but because it seems a better solution than trying to modify a pre bought one. Basically I get the correct number of wires all of the correct lengths in all the places I want them. I have wiring diagram schematics, I just need a few pointers as how to go about the task (i.e. where to locate earth points, which circuits require relays etc.)

Anyone know any good web sites or books to read for a beginner in this area ?

jonti

posted on 19/3/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Good old Haynes do a "techbook" called
'Automotive Electrical Manual'.That's quite good and available in softback from your local Halfords. Can't remember how much it was but it was less than a normal Haynes Manual.

Or you could browse your local library....mind you they get a bit arsey if you take the books back with grease all over them !

OFROK

splitrivet

posted on 19/3/04 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Having seen how they put a protoype loom together when working at the local lucas factory it seems straight forward.

Pins are hammered into a board to folow the looms path with the components (lights etc) marked on the board.
The wiring is run alongside these pins to the components with a longish tail at the component end when complete the wire is wrapped in tape usually self amalgating and removed from the board.
The tails crimped with bullet or spade connectors in situ on the vehicle.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

David Jenkins

posted on 19/3/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I worked out my wiring diagram on the train to and from work, followed by a layout diagram that showed what went to which terminal.

I then laid the wire out on the chassis, tying it down using the tie-wraps you get with kitchen bags, leaving lots of spare at each end.

Once everything was laid out I checked it a few times, then bundled it up using spiral wrap - if I was doing it again I'd use split corrugated tube.

Loom finished! Once it was all bundled up and lashed down I wired up using my layout diagram.

Finally I tested each circuit by putting one fuse in at a time.

I can post the diagrams if people really want - but they're a bit specific to my car! (and if the pictures area allows me to put them up).

rgds,

David

JoelP

posted on 19/3/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=8749

try the attachment half way down this thread. Muchos background informationos.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

givemethebighammer

posted on 20/3/04 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
thanks just what I needed.
MK9R

posted on 23/3/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I worked my loom out while i was at work I drew a circuit diagram using Powerpoint so i could easily make changes and print it out again. I've attached it at the bottom of the page(click on the plugs etc to be linked to the next page).

I wanted to be able to remove the loom, scuttle and dash easily without having to cut any wires, so i i used loads of plugs!

I found the page the layout page really useful when trying to work out which wires went to which area of the car and thus what plug i could use.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Julian B

posted on 23/3/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I was also going to have a go at loom building. I have quite a bit of experience wiring Racks of equipment for tv studios.
I think the biggest problem will be the connectors, and tooling.
I don’t know where you get multi-pin ford style connectors, how much they cost and do you need special crimp tools? The price this might make it more cost effective to by a loom

I’m still pondering

DNA Locost

posted on 25/3/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Julian B, build the loom yourself mate, I am.
Ive probably got simular experience to you because I used to wire up test rigs for a telecoms company.
I too was worried about expensive crip tools but after routing my cables I join them to pre-made connectors chopped of motors in my scrap yard. sorted.
The cost of connecters and tools ammounts to quite a lot when you've finished the whole car. you can get all you need from a scrappy and hide them down your trousers or in your tool box so you dont even have to pay for them.

PioneerX

posted on 25/3/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Question.... How many different cable colours would you need? I was planning to build me loom, but buy lots of roll of cable because I need lots of different colours seems to not make this option cost effective.

What do people think?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 25/3/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 4 (black, blue, green and red) but it wasn't necessary as i used labled each induvidual wire. The different colours do help a little when laying out the plugs etc though.

I did use 7 core trailer board wire for the lighting though (just easy and neat).

[Edited on 25/3/04 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Julian B

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think i will do the same with the wiring. I used on my old car a loom from a Sierra but because of incorrect lengths etc it was a bit of a dogs dinner.
If you look at the attached picture the owner of this car has managed to get the speedo and rev counter behind the wheel.
He hasn't used the steering column cover , and i guess the two switches on the steering wheel are for the indicators.
I cant work out how he as the column covered though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.