Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to change driveshaft cv boots
main82000

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
how to change driveshaft cv boots

hi all
trying to clean up all the donor parts before i start the build but can i for the life of me take apart the shaft

its a seira part can anyone help me sort this problem
thanks in advance

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't bother mate, just get the flexi boots that stretch over the cv joint itself, pretty tough to pull over even with the cone and use plenty of lube.

I got mine off ebay

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 2/8/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
If it is a lobro jointed shaft, there is a circlip on the outside of each end of the driveshaft.

Whip the circlip off, loose the cv boot clip and robert is you dad's brother the cv joint should come straight off the end of the shaft.

My advice (having stuffed a cv right up whilst reconditioning) is to centre punch a dot on the shaft, mark the joint to line up with the shaft so you can line it back up when you put it back together.

Do one joint at a time...

If you disassemble the cv itself, again mark the body and the cage (toughened) and make sure you maintain the relative position of each of the six balls.

Thoroughly de-grease, lightly oil annd reassamble by lining everything up again.

Stick the boot on the shaft, fill the back side of the joint with 50% of the grease and the front with the other 50%.

Do the clips up and job's a goodun.

austin man

posted on 2/8/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is a boot which can be fitted without the need to split the shaft, the boot is very elastic and is fitted using a special cone and grease. A very effective method and I would recommend it, much easier than splitting the shaft. Go to the famous bay of e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-UNIVERSAL-STRETCH-CV-BOOT-KITS-DRIVESHAFT-GAITERS_W0QQitemZ180384771057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM ?hash=item29ffc52bf1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hope this helps

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

main82000

posted on 3/8/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys

i will go down the stretchy road makes perfect sense

thanks craig

DavidW

posted on 4/8/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I used the stretchy boots although they didn't come with a cone so I used the end of a plastic ribena bottle, fairy liquid and a bowl of hot water.

It was quite easy using the above.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.