Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Banging from diff when in 6th (continued, part 2 help still needed!!)
asl

posted on 10/8/09 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Banging from diff when in 6th (continued, part 2 help still needed!!)

Hi all. Just under a month ago I posted on here about a knocking noise from the rear of the car when in 6th. Thanks for the suggestions but I have ruled them all out.

It is the diff that makes a banging noise like when you first select first.

The car drives normally at all speed / revs in all gears except 6th.

As soon as I select 6th and give it throttle (it is fine when no and a little throttle in 6th) I get an intermittant bang and stutter in performance. It is like the diff is momentarily disengaging.

Due to the above we think that is has to be a gearbox and more specifically a 6th gear problem.

I'm not familiar with the blade gearbox but is it possible that the 6th gear cog of damaged?

Is this an engine out job to get to the gearbox?

Has anyone got or know a link to an electronic manual for the blade engine / gearbox?

Any suggestions what I could do???

All help greatly appreciated!!

edited as I clearly can't spell!!

[Edited on 10/8/09 by asl]

JUD

posted on 10/8/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nathan,

Sorry to see you still have the problem.

A friend of mine had some teeth stripped off second gear on a blade. The symptoms on that were similar to what you describe - a sort of intermittent hesitance based on the worn parts alignment.

I don't recall a banging noise though. Perhaps that is some sort of shunt through the drive train into the diff?

Strange this would happen on 6th gear. The 2nd gear problem my friend had was due to numpties being over aggressive with 1st to 2nd gear changes during demo runs out.

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

mad-butcher

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
what year is the blade

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not impossible, in theory, but very difficult /awkward to do with the engine in.
Unusual for 6th to go, but very possible that the selectors are bent, causing another gear to try to engage as well at 6th position

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
my first look would be to make sure
Diff mounting bolts are TIGHT
prop uj's have no play
Drive shafts have no play
Rear wheel bearings are TIGHT
Suspension bolts are TIGHT
Reverse box bolts are TIGHT all of them
Iv just had similar problems and what can seem gear related maybe summink else.. Bike engines as you know rev very high and are very highly stressed.. Theres a lot of stuff that will come loose.. You have to check it virtually all the time

Steve Hignett

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
As above (and above and above!) 6th gear isn't the one that springs to mind when you think of gears and selector arms being bent in a Blade. More 2nd, from people that can't ride, and 3rd from people that can ride too well (wheelies etc)

If it is the selector fork or arm, then it could be misguiding it a tad, but if it is the cog then it cold have broken teeth and it could be this that is making it jump and therefore bang.

In my opinion it would be a thousand times easier to do any job like this with the engine on a bench and not in the car as you will have to split the casings, so one side that is held in the car won't be supported...

Each cog will cost you upwards of £90, can't remember how much selectors are.

You should (at this point), in my opinion give Andy Bates a shout and ask his opinion about it. He really is as helpful as people (inc. me!) say he is!

Cheers,
Steve

asl

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the advice. Although you mention that 6th is unusual it kinda makes sense as I had just done a track day in it and had been having problems all day with my gear linkeage. I was missing gears, ending up in neutral and then it would suddenly grab a gear. It was very untidy and I'm thinking I might have damaged a cog along the way.

I will double and triple check all the other things that Yosamite mentioned and then give Andy a call. I am going to put a cable shift in at the same time so will hopefully avoid the box of neutrals again!!

Coose

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds more like you've knocked the corners off the dogs on 6th. Buy a good second-hand gear cluster, drop out your motor, whip out the gear cluster and build the best one out of the two.

Spin 'er off Well...

ReMan

posted on 10/8/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
It sounds more like you've knocked the corners off the dogs on 6th. Buy a good second-hand gear cluster, drop out your motor, whip out the gear cluster and build the best one out of the two.

Bear in mind , finding a GOOD 2nd hand cluster is (politely) tricky.
The worst thing is on a 2nd hand box there is going to be "some" wear, weather or not it works perfectly, you won't know until you've rebuilt the whole engine and got it back in the car
You ask me!

If it helps, I should have a good 6th gear pair for free, as mine have always been 2nd and 3rd that have gone flakey. as mentioned.
Once this happens, it may well bend the selectors as it jumps out of gear under heavy load.

Anyway, with a bit of luck it's something else, but I doubt it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.