Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scam or Genuine?
Dusty

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Scam or Genuine?

Anyone had this recently. I do have e-billing with Virgin but it contains no personal identification. I'm suspicious but don't want to loose my services.

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by Virgin Media to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
Virgin Media
Billing Department

Link points to www.tecitec.com\/virgin\/loggin\/reupdate\/verify.php
I've V'd the forward slashes in case it's toxic.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have your own on-line access to your account with Virgin? If so, use your own URL to access their web pages and go to their customer services.

If you don't, get one of their bills (or similar documentation) and phone their customer services.

DON'T use the link if you're at all suspicious. For a start, the English grammar in that e-mail is suspect, e.g. "we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill."!

[Edited on 14/8/09 by David Jenkins]

RichardK

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Scam springs to mind but if you go to virgins website LINKY and log in and view your bill then any problems with you account will be in there I would have thought.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 14/8/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Careful there - tecitec links to Brazilian sites and comes up on scam reports. Avoid.
fov

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
tecitec isnt owned by VM so it is 100% a phisihing attempt

Domain name: tecitec.com

Registrant Contact:
Merpetsales.com
Peter M una ()

Fax:
Nairobi, KE 254
KE

P ?

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
get with them over the phone !
BenB

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's a scam! Why the hell would VM use tecitec? They own enough websites of their own!!!
Dusty

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I'm being a bit slow again. Logged in to my account and all seems well. It's a scam but I didn't instantly pick up on it. Only by hovering over the link and looking at the address did it seem odd. I suspect there are plenty of non-brilliant computer users like me who would be fooled.

[Edited on 14/8/09 by Dusty]

JoelP

posted on 14/8/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
there is a simple way to avoid the risk of being caught out! If you recieve an email like this, NEVER click on a link, no matter what. If you think its a genuine email, navigate to their website yourself and find out.

Report it to your mail provider as a phishing scam and they might be able to more effectively block it in the near future, so others dont get caught out.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

James

posted on 15/8/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
your most recent payment of bill

?????

Come on!!! You don't need computer skills to know it's a scam,... just a basic use of English language!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 15/8/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Richard Quinn

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

?????

Come on!!! You don't need computer skills to know it's a scam,... just a basic use of English language!

Cheers,
James

Come on!! Have you ever phoned VM and spoken to any of their reps in New Delhi?

Ninehigh

posted on 16/8/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

?????

Cheers,
James

Come on!! Have you ever phoned VM and spoken to any of their reps in New Delhi?

Cos you trust the reps in New Delhi? If they told me where I lived I'd have to get a letter to confirm they had the right details

RoadkillUK

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
It's definatately a scam.

I've had 2 of these emails now, both link to a different address, last one was in russia, although both links were dead by the time I followed them.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 16/8/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
It's blatantly a scam, you don't have to get further than the first two words "Dear Customer". If you have a mail (e or snail) regarding personal information, it will have your name on it rather than a generic title.

The very suspicious grammar in the rest of the email confirms it, and always check the properties of any link included, from the URL you should be able to see if it goes to the companies web site or not.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.