Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drilling Through Porcelain Tiles!
scootz

posted on 16/8/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Drilling Through Porcelain Tiles!

What a complete and utter PITA!

Takes forever and costs a fortune in drill bits... lucky if a £10 bit can handle two holes!

Wonder if Sikaflex could stick toilet roll holders, etc. to the wall

blakep82

posted on 16/8/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon sikaflex will do it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/8/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
You mean normal porcelain wall tiles? Just buy a tile bit from B&Q for a few quid or use a new good quality masonary bit and turn the chuck by hand first to cut through the glaze and then take it slowly afterwards. It's as easy as that.
Humbug

posted on 16/8/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a glass/tile bit that's lasted for years for the odd job I've needed it for (shower rails, etc.
twybrow

posted on 16/8/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto mistergrumpy - I found it much easier than expected. I used a bit of masking tape to stop it skating, a standard masonary bit, and hammer off!
Peter Cowley

posted on 16/8/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
You guys are talking about normal ceramic tiles, porcelain are much much harder.

I have a plumber friend and it took him nearly 24 hrs to drill the holes out for a shower cubicle LOL !

Patience and a big box of bits is whats required !

piddy

posted on 16/8/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a drill bit for porcelain wall tiles today in Wilkinsons £15.
emsfactory

posted on 16/8/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
They are a nightmare. Stay away from plasplugs bits. Didn't get one hole from one of those.
bigfoot4616

posted on 16/8/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
you just have to take your time and drill slowly with some of these http://www.365drills.com/

some porcelain is harder than other porcelain

scootz

posted on 16/8/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
There are tiles, then there are THICK PORCELAIN ones. £10... 2 holes... 20 mins!

The tiler warned me, but I thought he was exaggerating!

eznfrank

posted on 16/8/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just stick whatever it is on with silicone. My old mans a tiler and even sticks hand basins on with the stuff!!
Liam

posted on 16/8/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just done my whole bathroom walls in thick hard as f**k porcelain tiles too - the ones also suitable for floors. The ones that will destroy a brand new good quality masonary drill bit in a single hole.

Went here for some bits on recommendation of some pro tilers. Will turn up in a few days.

Used a masonary bit just to start cos these will skip all over the place. I poured water on from a jug to keep them cool, and dont go to fast either. Lasted long enough to do my whole bathroom.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldtimer

posted on 16/8/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
The white, sanitary Sikaflex has astonishing grip, I used to use silicone till I tried Sikaflex, now I use it and it really is good - you have to ask youself which is stronger - 2 screw fittings or several square inches of glue.
lexus

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
The answer lies in Screwfix! It is a DWalt diamond encrusted bit. But it has a simple little plastic device with it that 'suckers' to the tile and drips water on the drill. Start drilling at 30degrees for a few revolutions without the drip device....this gives enough of a start to avoid slipping when you drill straight with the device attached. I did all the fittings in our wet room porcelain tiled walls 3 months ago with this. Best £20 I ever spent....and there is no obvious sign of wear.
scootz

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys!
DarrenW

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Easy,

Auto centre punch on masking tpe to break glaze. Masonry bit on non hammer drill to cut through porcelain. Bray drill bit with 4lb hammer to make hole. Chip away fiull tile. Replace tile with new hole in appropriate space. Plug, screw, new loo roll hung up. Grout new tile next day. Sit down and enjoy evacuation device while searching yellow pages for suitable trader to do it next time.

Or - sikaflex and enjpy pulling black PU resdue off tile for next few months whilst looking at obliterated tile from failed DIY attempt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.