Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow Strip down/rebuild
fuzzy!!

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow Strip down/rebuild

Am looking to clean up my 1600 xflow but wonder how far I really need to go. It's been standing for at least 15 years so was thinking about a full strip-down. It was a low mileage donor though (35k) so having seconds thoughts.

What's the general opinion?
thx

200mph

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth stripping and rebuilding?

My vote would be for either seeing how it runs as it is, or replacing it with a cheap running engine.

Cheers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

austin man

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
strip down, glaze bust new rings as a minimum

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Chippy

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Did you hear it running in the donar, and if so what did it sound like, I would say that if it's only done 30 odd K then it should be fine. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

omega0684

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
buy a zetec off ebay for under £100 (exhaust is on the same side as x-flow) and stick that in, will probably cost you less that a x-flow rebuild and you get a newer, more modern engine with more power.

sounds like a no brainer to me

just my 2p's worth

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
run it as is, see how it goes. if it sounds rough or smokey, rebuild, if not, keep running it.

you could spend the money rebuilding it now and never know if it needed it, or run it and find out if it actually does. if it doesn't need rebuilding, spend the money elsewhere

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 16/8/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
buy a zetec off ebay for under £100 (exhaust is on the same side as x-flow) and stick that in, will probably cost you less that a x-flow rebuild and you get a newer, more modern engine with more power.

sounds like a no brainer to me

It's never that simple though. The crossflow has a distributor and can run with points ignition or an electronic distributor from a Fiesta, the Zetec has a trigger wheel and that's it, so some kind of ignition ECU is required (MJL isn't too expensive, but still extra cost and time).

Then you need fuelling; the xflow probably comes with a manifold and twin choke downdraught carb. The Zetec will either come with nothing or a bunch of injectors, so either an after market injection capable ECU is used, the existing FORD ECU is cobbled in (assuming no immobiliser problems) or a manifold for a carb is bought, plus carb(s).

Then you have to contend with the engine depth. The xflow is quite a shallow engine with a tin sump that can easily be cut down if required. Not so with the Zetec which is taller (and longer) and has an alloy or combined steel/alloy sump.

You's need to source an exhaust manifold (xflow was fitted to RWD cars, so original tubular manifold can be modified to fit). Clutch and spigot bearing for Zetec needs sorting, xflow was already mated to a Ford RWD box so has suitable clutch and spigot already fitted.

Personally, for the price of a head gasket set (not much) I'd take the head of the xflow and check the bores are not rusty from standing and leave it at that if it's all ok.

mark chandler

posted on 17/8/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I,d just change the oil, put some oil in the plug holes, turn it over by hand a few times then spin on the starter for a minute.

Plugs in and start it up.

If its not in the car just strap on a pallet and start on the floor.

If it idles without missing and no rattles call that good and pop it in.

rusty nuts

posted on 17/8/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Can you still turn the engine over ? if so stick it in and try it, might be worth priming the oil pump.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.