Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to get zx9r to pass SVA emissions?
gr8ging

posted on 19/8/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
how to get zx9r to pass SVA emissions?

Evening all

I have my SVA retest in two weeks and am pretty confident except on the emissions test. How have those with ZX9's got it through the emissions test? I am on carbs by the way.(all comments welcome not just zx9 owners)
I have a VW Caddy cat fitted and a standard Bandit can (until they fall off after test). I am taking the car to a local garage on Friday to get emissions checked but am not hopeful it will pass.
What did you/can I do?
Thanks

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/8/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have it covered with the cat and stock can just make sure you get it proper hot to give the cat a chance to do its stuff.
Flamez

posted on 19/8/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think the factory also set my fuel air very lean to get through the test.

my build mac1motorsports

adithorp

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know a lot about the zx9 but it might help you get usefull suggestions if you posted the emission results from the initial SVA test.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gr8ging

posted on 19/8/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look and I don't have the results of the fist SVA. I think because at the time the exhaust was leaking he didn't do a full test. If I remember right he did have a quick sniff up the exhaust and the readings were quite high, I just can't remember how high!

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

mackei23b

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

Here is the set up I had:

ZX9R C1 Engine
TTS Foam Sausage Filter
MK 4-2-1 Manifold
CAT + R1 Exhaust Can

Dynojet Stage 1 kit (138 Main Jets fitted
Main Air Jet Blocked)
Dynojet Needles installed on fourth groove from the top
Fuel Mixture Screw 2.5 turns out

See the Dynojet Instructions at http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2185.pdf Dont drill the hole in the slide ,for bikes only, not required for a bec

Hope this helps!

Ian

[Edited on 19/8/09 by mackei23b]

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Same as mackei ^ Just make sure that you rev the nuts off it to get the cat up to temp. I had the headers glowing.
At the second test the testers let me tweek the adjustment screws to bring it inline. Screwing them in leans the mixture (I know because I did it wrong at first and they let me have yet another go)

gr8ging

posted on 19/8/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have had a quick drive up the road and found the cat to be very restrictive, seem to have lost power/revs since fitting it? It went like sh1t before I fitted the cat and bandit can.
I'll see what happens on Friday and hopefully be able to tweek the mixture screws at local garage.

james h

posted on 19/8/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
My cat got blocked up the first time I took it for an emissions test. I put some v-power and also fuel cleaner in the tank, and gave it some revs. It should clear the cat.

Also check that there are absolutely no joints blowing, and your carbs are balanced.

My Indy R1 passed with the mix at 1.5 turns out (haynes says factory setting is 3.5) so was quite lean.

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/8/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Good call on the blowing joints by the way.
johncarman

posted on 20/8/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I passed with the following setup on retest...

ZX9R E1
Universal CAT from ebay
standard ZX9R can
Airbox removed and filter socks in place
Idle mixture set to 1.5 turns out

At the first test the exhaust was leaking terrible and throwing the results out, you need to make sure you get a good seal on all the joints.
Before adding a CAT I couldn't get the numbers anywhere near, just as I got one under something else would go out, as soon as I put the CAT on all the numbers fell in no problem.
I think as long as you have a good hot CAT and all the joints sealed you should have no problems.

Good luck

John

gr8ging

posted on 20/8/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that johncarman. I also have an E1 so this info is great thanks. All the info has put my mind at easy because people I know were saying I had no hope in passing.
Cheers guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.