Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How about this for a blown fireblade engine
bowood14

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
How about this for a blown fireblade engine

This happened on my first trackday at woodbridge after 7 laps! MK Indy Fireblade. On stripping the engine I found a lot of instant gasket in the oil pick up and oil ways (BE WARNED!) The advert for the car also said Sump Baffle- very Important what the seller didnt tell me was that it wasnt fitted to the engine but in a box of bits he gave me! so not a very good start to owning a kit car : cost of car, cost of wasted trackday and cost of replacing engine. I have been carefully putting another engine in and should be up and running in next few days will let you know

[Edited on 25/8/09 by bowood14]

bowood14

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry picture didnt load

If picture hasnt loaded this time please let me know how to!!! Sorry still not loaded what am I doing wrong?

clairetoo

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Is this any help ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Crap luck! Was it an eBay purchase by any chance? I bet the advert made it sound great! Fireblade engines are pretty reliable beasts by all accounts. Seems you got one that hadn't had much love.

Is the top end junk too? Ancilleries? Might be able to flog the remaining bits to make back some funds- especially the gearbox. They are like hens teeth if it's in good nick.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 25/8/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger :-( Hopefully your replacement engine will do better. I did quite a few track and drag days with my old Indy Blade and the engine was fine, though the clutch wasn't happy with lots of full bore starts at 1/4 mile days. Was worth it to see the neds faces as i blew them away! Barnett plates and springs fixed the clutch slip

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/8/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
Bugger :-( Hopefully your replacement engine will do better. I did quite a few track and drag days with my old Indy Blade and the engine was fine, though the clutch wasn't happy with lots of full bore starts at 1/4 mile days. Was worth it to see the neds faces as i blew them away! Barnett plates and springs fixed the clutch slip

Scotlad
Your performance has become a legend in ned circles. We still get storys about the "red one of those that blitzed everything at Crail" pretty much everytime I park in Glenrothes

Ive had good luck with the Fazer engine and your MK used to get the life spanked out of it. Even trackdays at Knocky.

Seems you get a bad one it shows up big time. And thats not so good for the pocket

bowood14

posted on 25/8/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Parts

To be honest i wouldnt want to sell the gearbox because of the damage to the engine may have caused it some damage. I will however be selling the end covers and rocker cover and any other bits and pieces to try and recoup some money.
Gergely

posted on 26/8/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not get some of the costs back from the seller? Was he misleading you? Did he say he ever went on track with the car? Then you would have been fair to think that you can, too...
This is annoying.
We had our R1 engine suffer the same fate in April when we were not aware of the modifications we had to make to the particular model year of this engine to make it track-proof... (5VY).
Good luck with the rebuild. If you do it yourself at least you will know what you have done... and talk to some racers who will be able to advise you on the best setup, oil to use, filters, coolers, gauges etc. you might need... I found some racers' help invaluable...
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine the engine failure occurred due to the instant gasket blocking the oilways rather than the sump baffle not being fitted. I personally think it would be unfair to try and recoup some money from the seller in this instance. It's just an unfortunate and unforseeable incident IMHO.

Phil

bowood14

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire I presume you know who I bought it off hence the comment. Being the person I am if it had happened to a car I sold I would have made some attempt to reimburse some costs but this has not happened maybe I am too honest So a solicitors letter is on its way and then maybe small claims court.
Why say in the advert the sump baffle is very important but it wasnt fitted in the engine Also the person I bought it off was the person who used the instant gasket as I know he had replaced the sump

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have absolutely no idea who you bought your MK Indy from, why would I? My comments that "the engine failure occurred due to the instant gasket blocking the oilways rather than the sump baffle not being fitted" are based on my experience of Fireblade engines.

I hope you get what you want from whoever sold you the vehicle but if he/she decides they don't want to reimburse you anything, I think you'll struggle (assuming they sold you a road vehicle rather than a track vehicle)

Phil

mad-butcher

posted on 31/8/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
That could be an interesting can of worms, if the get out for bad workmanship is you used it on the track not the road, could you then use the excuse that the engine blew on the motorway at 75mph so sorry you were exceeding the speed limit

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gordon h

posted on 31/8/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
reimburse, so if someone sold a fireblade bike and went wrong would that person reimburse them, no names but what goes around comes around.

bec is best but going to try sabb 2.3 turbo mk

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/9/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say that (as with all private purchases) that I really wouldn't expect you to have any hope of any recovery. Caveat Emptor (probably spelt wrong) springs to mind.
Engines blow up, period. Here's a fresh one I did at the start of this season, the rod you see is Carillo, so you'll appreciate how much this engine cost to build.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5980/gsxr1000.jpg

Engines, cars and life are based entirely on fragile consumables.
Would I seek recovery if the old Mondeo I bought last saturday snapped it's elastics, even though the seller assured me that the cam belt had been swapped out recently, yadda, yadda... No. But then I'm suspicious and paranoid of everything and everybody.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.