Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap rev limiter?
David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap rev limiter?

(don't know whether this should be 'engine' or 'electrics', but what the hell!)

Does anyone know of a basic rev limiter that can be used with a Ford X-flow engine? I'm not looking for any gadgets such as change lights - I just want to stop it over-revving if I get carried away...

'Cheap' is also an important factor in my purchasing decision...

David

timf

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?category=579&product=1003701223&skinny=&scope=shop&affiliate=&country=826&sc_recal c.x=50&sc_recalc.y=12
nick205

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
David,

I'm sure I've seen 'mechanical' rev limiting rotor arms before. Have a look in the Burton Power catalogue or website.

HTH

Nick

David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Tim,

The aussie rev limiter looked good - until I saw the postage! A$34 for the box, then A$27 for postage! Eek!

Mind you - still cheap...

David

timf

posted on 25/3/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
exchange rate at present works out at about £24 all in
DNA Locost

posted on 25/3/04 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
put a small sized house brick behind your gas pedal, this should limit your reving for just a few pence.
Terrapin_racing

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest route is centrifugal rev limiting rotor arm (usually < £10)
Bosch do one - I've seen them fitted to CVH/OHC Pinto etc.
Not sure about x/flow.
Alternatively watch
www.racecar.com
sales site - I picked up a new OMEX rev limiter and launch control unit very cheaply.

[Edited on 25/3/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
PS: centrifugal rev limiting rotor arms cut the power like a b***ard - dead cut out
Not nice when your just on peak power.
I'd recommend a soft cut unit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not desperately worried about a sharp cut-out - I'm just looking for engine protection when I cock up and miss a gear change, or get over-excited!

I'm not going to be driving racing-style, up to the rev limit several times every lap.

Worth looking at, though... Burtons would be a good start, I guess.

Cheers,

David

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
The rotor arm cut off for Lucas distributer (as used on the original Lotus Twincam) aint cheap ---- was about 30 quid back in the 1980s as others have said its brutal when it hits the rev limit.
mranlet

posted on 25/3/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Most Go-karts use a simple bolt with a rubber bumper that hits the firewall at the target RPM.

If you're woried about weight, use a titanium bolt!

-MR

blueshift

posted on 26/3/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me how a soft-cut rev limiter works? I have been playing around with microcontrollers a bit recently and could possibly make a cheapo homebrew rev limiter as well as the keypad immobiliser I'm thinking of. Maybe a combined unit.
mranlet

posted on 26/3/04 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
Can anyone tell me how a soft-cut rev limiter works? I have been playing around with microcontrollers a bit recently and could possibly make a cheapo homebrew rev limiter as well as the keypad immobiliser I'm thinking of. Maybe a combined unit.

...totally over my head...

Simplicity man!

-MR

britishtrident

posted on 26/3/04 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Many retard the ignition

NS Dev

posted on 26/3/04 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
don't know for 4 cylinder ford engines, but the 2.8i v6's (capri 2.8i, granada 2.8i or earlier Sierra xr4x4) had a rev-limiting rotor-arm as standard, do they fit?
David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Can anyone tell me how a soft-cut rev limiter works?

I believe that they arrange things so that it only allows the engine to fire 'every other bang', or similar - divide by two - enough power to keep the revs up, but not enough to rev faster.

David

blueshift

posted on 27/3/04 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Can anyone tell me how a soft-cut rev limiter works?

I believe that they arrange things so that it only allows the engine to fire 'every other bang', or similar - divide by two - enough power to keep the revs up, but not enough to rev faster.

David

Hmm. Could maybe do that, have to feed the ignition coil from something solid-state, wouldn't want to try switching a relay that fast.

Something to mull over when I'm not near the garage anyway.

Northy

posted on 27/3/04 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use MJLJ?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Stu16v

posted on 27/3/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
David, unless you have done some serious tuning work to your engine, I wouldnt worry to much about the odd missed gearchange IMHO. A xflow in standard form has made all its useful power at around 5000rpm, and there would be no point in revving it higher, unless, of course, you are in top gear! Then the 'natural' rev limiter as supplied by Mother Nature herself comes into play-wind resistance.....

Missed gearchanges are a worry, but again, with an engine with lower states of tune, you usually realise you dont have drive before the enigne is revved hard enough (and long enough) to worry about damage. Your mileage may vary of course, as wilder cams and lightened internals will let the engine rev higher, and of course quicker.

If you are running points ignition, you have a natural rev limiter fitted anyway.

And of course, the best rev limiter in the world will not prevent damage if a wrong gear is selected on a rapid downchange. thats when things usually get messy....

Dont just build it.....make it!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/3/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Stu,

That's the way I'm starting to think - after seeing the cheapest rev limiter at over £60 I've lost interest!

My engine isn't tuned very much, so it'll peak out before I over-rev it, as you say.

I'll just watch the rev counter!

cheers,

david

Jimbo

posted on 2/4/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rotor arm rev limiter is Halfords part number HRA561 photo on this page

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.