Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weights
MonkeyHunter

posted on 25/3/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Weights

I guess Alan B & sgraber will be able to help me here, Im after some weights, how much does the MR2 engine weigh? also how much do your cars weigh as they are, and what is your front/rear weight distribution?
kb58

posted on 25/3/04 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW, a Honda Prelude VTEC engine, manual tranny, exhaust, intake, and alternator weigh 475lbs.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MonkeyHunter

posted on 25/3/04 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
kb58 - yea the old Prelude 2.2 lumps are pretty meaty, I am using a B16a1 engine, and it weighs all in at 140KG's (308lb's), im just curious about the toyota engine really. I want to know what sort of weight target to set my self. I am thinking of sub 600Kg, I want to build my car with a roof, as the weather is so unpredictable in blighty!

[Edited on 26/3/04 by MonkeyHunter]

Alan B

posted on 25/3/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Same list as KB for the 4A-GE is around 400 pounds......mine complete less body and seats weighed about 950 pounds.

HTH

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 25/3/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Engines are surprisingly heavy and I think the Toyota has an iron block which doesn't help. Just keep in mind the figures you're giving sometimes come from people who've never actually weighed them. Believe me, I was "sure" my Honda engine weighed 300-350lbs until I weighed it, and it was a big kick in the nuts when the scale went up to 475lbs. Also make sure any quoted weights are specific as to what parts they do or do not include.
MonkeyHunter

posted on 26/3/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The 140kg figure is from the honda workshop manual, and is the wet weight. I will slap it all on the scales when i put it back together, but i have to get the block honed first, and im probably going to close the deck so it can better handle the extra power that the turbo will give me.

I have now acquired a set of toyota uprights with discs and brakes, some upper ball joints with camber adjusting sleeves, and am waiting for my seat and 2.2 turn quick rack to arrive. I will be setting up a website soon, so i can bore people with stuff i think is interesting.

sgraber

posted on 26/3/04 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I am going out on a limb to say that the complete 4AGE including 5spd and all ancilliaries is at just over 400Lbs. My entire car without body (running laps around the neighborhood) is at 1122Lbs.

Right rear - #344
left rear - #326
right front - #236
left front - #216
Rear weight total - #670
Front weight total - #452
Complete car total - #1,122

I can believe that the rear, without engine, would weigh in at #270 leaving the engine at #400.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

MonkeyHunter

posted on 26/3/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Graber. I think I will just try and keep everything as light as possible, at least i have an idea as to how heavy the car will be. How are your Yamaha R6 shocks working out? I am thinking about using them, as they are cheap
sgraber

posted on 26/3/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyHunter
Thanks Graber. I think I will just try and keep everything as light as possible, at least i have an idea as to how heavy the car will be. How are your Yamaha R6 shocks working out? I am thinking about using them, as they are cheap

I simply cannot tell you how well my R6 damped suspension design performs. I have not even been close to the limit of performance. The Graber Test Track just isn't big enough...

At least they hold the car up...

G.

Steve Graber

Winston

posted on 27/3/04 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
This was discussed earlier this week on the MR2 Owner's Club Message Board (link is my www). This from an extremely knowledgeable individual that races the MR2 in ITA (Improved Touring Class A).

quote:

As a complete assembly - with manifolds and tranny, dry - [the 4-AGE is] in the range of 325#.

sgraber

posted on 27/3/04 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston
This was discussed earlier this week on the MR2 Owner's Club Message Board (link is my www). This from an extremely knowledgeable individual that races the MR2 in ITA (Improved Touring Class A).

quote:

As a complete assembly - with manifolds and tranny, dry - [the 4-AGE is] in the range of 325#.

I am completely willing to accept that answer!

You know, the problem of these guestimates we are making is that, once the object becomes heavier than we can lift by hand, there is no way to use our own strength to guage its weight. We are left unable to hoist the thing and then we say 'Oh shoit, that thing must weigh 400Lbs!' when it actually weighs less.

Recently my 4AGE drivetrain fell off of the rolling cradle I have bodged up for it. My neighbors (who are Honda experts) were here in the garage and helped me lift it back up. The comment before we lifted was, 'that's an iron block, it's gonna weigh a ton. That's got to weigh a lot MORE than a Honda engine!' ... Well after we lifted it, the comment was, 'that's a pretty light engine.' Just goes to show, you just don't KNOW if you are guessing!

Although the 4AGE block is Iron, Toyota used a very advanced casting technique (for it's day) that made the block quite strong without a great weight penalty over aluminium. Source The Ali block doesn't have the weight advantage one immediately thinks it would.

Graber

Steve Graber

Sven

posted on 28/3/04 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have read 155kg for the 4AGE and T50 transmission, not exactly what you asked, but useful as a reference. 155kg equates to ~340lbs which is consistant with the numbers Mr Graber mentioned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.