Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I split an RS232 Cable?
flak monkey

posted on 1/9/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can I split an RS232 Cable?

Odd question, maybe....

I would like to have my ECU connected ot my Aim dash as it has the capabilities to communicate with megasquirt using the serial (RS232) port just by connecting the TX and RX cables.

By question is, can I have both my dash and my laptop connected at the same time so I can keep an eye on boost pressure and all the other variables real time from the ECU?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RichardK

posted on 1/9/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have thought so, what about one of the usb to serial converters so you have 2 com ports? Would that work?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 1/9/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
not unless your AIM dash has pass-through capability
flak monkey

posted on 1/9/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
So connecting 2 cables each to the TX and RX at the megasquirt end and then one set to the laptop and one to the dash isnt going to work then?

I also have to figure if you connect TX-TX and RX-RX or TX-RX, RX-TX as the aim manual is rather vague.

Sera

MikeRJ

posted on 1/9/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
So connecting 2 cables each to the TX and RX at the megasquirt end and then one set to the laptop and one to the dash isnt going to work then?

No, since you will have two transmitters (dash and laptop) connected together, so they will conflict.

mark chandler

posted on 1/9/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I just did what was suggested above, really cheap USB to serial dongle and native serial port, just displayed two dashes on my laptop
flak monkey

posted on 1/9/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I just did what was suggested above, really cheap USB to serial dongle and native serial port, just displayed two dashes on my laptop

Hows that work then?

There is a serial port on the megasquirt which i normally plug a USB to serial adaptor into anyway, where the other bits connect?

Sera

blakep82

posted on 1/9/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

hmm, i see what you mean, but the megasquirt (which only has one serial port on it?) presumably has to be plugged into the digidash and laptop at the same time, so i don't think it can work

the only way forward i can think of is if you can get any digi dash type software that can go on the laptop to show the info you need? contact the digi dash manufacturer perhaps?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GregSL75

posted on 1/9/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Might work if the digidash doesn't need to use the transmit line. Split the cable and don't connect the Tx.

IIRC megasquirt is permanently putting out the data on the serial port, so depending on how the digidash works it may not need the Tx.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

Doofus

posted on 1/9/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
It could be done,
Wire the transmit from MS to the RX on the dash and PC
Since it's easier to re-write the Megatune software wire the TX from the Dash to the RX on the MS and get the dash to send the request char.
You'd need at alter Megatune to receive the reply data without sending the request, but I think it's open source isn't it?

[Edited on 1/9/09 by Doofus]

flak monkey

posted on 1/9/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doofus
It could be done,
Wire the transmit from MS to the RX on the dash and PC
Since it's easier to re-write the Megatune software wire the TX from the Dash to the RX on the MS and get the dash to send the request char.
You'd need at alter Megatune to receive the reply data without sending the request, but I think it's open source isn't it?

I like your thinking, but coding is well over my head I am afraid

Sera

Dale

posted on 1/9/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
You may be able to do it.
It would be easy to do if you only wanted to monitor on one or the other but if you want both to have transmit capability you may be able to get by by putting a signal diode on both of the transmit lines - one on the dash transmit and one othe laptops. This way the signal will not corrupt the others signal.
Also depends on weather they are using control signals or just xon/xoff if they are both using just rx tx and ground you might just get away with it.
Dale

rs232 is suposed to use + and - signals but most get by with 0 and +

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

MikeRJ

posted on 2/9/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
You may be able to do it.
It would be easy to do if you only wanted to monitor on one or the other but if you want both to have transmit capability you may be able to get by by putting a signal diode on both of the transmit lines - one on the dash transmit and one othe laptops. This way the signal will not corrupt the others signal.

Diode ORing the transmit lines will prevent the transmitter outputs being loaded by conflicting logic states, but if both transmit at the same time the data will still be corrupted.

ss1turbo

posted on 4/10/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
You've got two masters (laptop/digiview), and one slave (MS) - and you can guarantee they'll want different info...so sadly no.

I've used 3 devices on an RS232 line before, but one was a "sniffer" just to see what was going on.

A possibility is a multiplexer, so it only allows one request to the slave (MS) at a time - but beware of timeout issues as if one is waiting its turn, the other might timeout. The other trick is going to know when the MUX needs to switch over..

Long live RWD...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.