Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting garage walls
pdm

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
painting garage walls

Afternoon all,

I'm getting my garage sorted at the moment ready for a build and have a question please.

The garage is integral to the house but sticks out a bit from the main house walls. Therefore 3/4 of the garage walls are thermalite blocks but the half of the exterior side is brick which is single skin. The floor has damp proof course to level of concrete floor and its engineering bricks outside so shouldn't be any damp rising from floor.

I've just finished a 2 pack epoxy coating on the floor which has now cured.

I want to paint the walls white next and was thinking emulsion.

So to my question - by painting the single skin bricks, am I going to get into any moisture problems ? By which I mean when it rains on outside walls, will be I affecting how it drys by effectively sealing the interior side of the brick ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit numpty but I've seen on the internet people who've had problems with salt etc coming out of bricks after painting and didn't want to make the same mistake. Or am I worrying far too much ?

(If just getting the garage ready is this time consuming, costly and complicated I am beginning to wonder whether I'm right for this kind of car building lark !!!)

thanks
Paul

MikeR

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
buy masonry paint - its designed for the job and does it well.

Painted my garage (brick) and its made a huge different to how light it is.

Also before you start add LOTS of lights - buy the cheap fluorescent strip lights and attach one per beam.

marcjagman

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Would agree with masonary paint, you can always go over it with emulsion afterwards
bbwales

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would also paint the walls with a watered down PVA solution, this seals the walls prior to painting and makes it alot easier.

Regards

Bob

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
pity you didn't paint the walls before the floor, now you'll need to mask it off

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aka Keith

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
I would also paint the walls with a watered down PVA solution, this seals the walls prior to painting and makes it alot easier.

Regards

Bob

Bob, wurely this would cuse the issues the OP was looking to ensure would not happen. (by sealing the brick you are affecting how it deals with moisture)

blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
my garage seems to be exactly the same as yours, part joined to the house, the rest isn't) and mine was painted many many years ago, and the paint has remained ok for 20 years or so

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
Would agree with masonary paint, you can always go over it with emulsion afterwards

Yup. Masonary paint (contains waterproofing silicon stuff). Works very nicely. I tried plain emulsion to begin with and the salts come through...

MakeEverything

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
spray it on with a sprayer. ITs messy, but it gets into the cracks etc.

Use masonry paint. It willsave you having to seal the wall first, and will stay brighter for longer. If you use emulsion, it will peel off, or go brown over a shorter period of time.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

dhutch

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just done painting garage walls. Its been what ive been doing for the last week, and im now on rewiring to increase the lighting from 'enough to see by' to 'enough work under'.

I used emulsion.
- I wouldnt worry about sealing it or otherwise too much, either too much, or not enough.

My uncal has a very old house with no damproffing where the wall are damp and he could get normal emusion to work for him and has ended up with special breathable paint.

However, modern day bricks are pretty good, our storeroom in the garage has been painted with emulsion for the last 10 years an come to no harm so ive just done the same for the remainder of the garage. Just normal delux white matt emiusion in 10liter drums. Dont buy rubbish because it doesnt cover.

I applied it with a 4inch brush, and to do a 20ft square garage (about 35m^2 of wall?) took me two days with 20liters of paint. You could spray it, but i dont have a sprayer or the inclination to mask the windows/doorframes/flooor etc.

Daniel

pdm

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wow - thanks for all the responses !!

Blakep82 - did you do yours with masonary paint ??

MrWhippy - I know !!! Only thought of that after I'd done it - was kicking myself !!

Masonary paint seems to be the consensus so I'll go with that.

Given it's got waterproofing in it I'm assuming all moisture will escape/dry to the outside of the brick then and not come through to the painted inside ?

Thanks again.

blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
good question, i can't remember what it was painted with

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 3/9/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
The idea of walls is to keep the moisture on the outside and putting stuff on the inside doesn't affect their ability to do this. You should have enough ventilation to prevent condensation and if you don't have a problem with it now you will not cause one by painting the walls. I painted mine with a woolly roller and white emulsion and it is fine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Danozeman

posted on 3/9/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Iv done half of mine with emulsion. I had a big bucket of bnq value kicking about which was craap on ceiling so i painted the wall with it. It went on and covered bare breeze block well. And it cheap as chips for a big bucket of the stuff. As said thou spray it. Much easier.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 3/9/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished the lights in ours.
- Gone from four 60w incandesents to 11 20watt compact florecents.
- Combined with the paint the diffrent is chalk and cheese using the same elec.

If i need more light i will throw a pair of 500w halogens onto some work stand i have seeing as there £4 a pop at aldi.

Daniel

pdm

posted on 3/9/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Great - thanks for your responses all.

Really helpful bunch on this forum - thanks again.

Andybarbet

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,
I may have enough dulux weathershield left as i got given loads of it from a job my brother in law did, if your near North Herts, your welcome to it.

I painted inside my garage with it 2 years ago and its stil like new, my garage is also half in the house and half (single skin) outside the house.

DavidW

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I did 2 coats of external masonry paint applied with large emulsion brush in not a lot of time and still looking good after 4 years.

Installed 3 double flouresent tubes and very light.

Hope that helps.

David

pdm

posted on 4/9/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
AndyBarbet - thanks very much for the offer but I'm a bit far away in Derby.

Thanks anyway...

MakeEverything

posted on 4/9/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
AndyBarbet - thanks very much for the offer but I'm a bit far away in Derby.

Thanks anyway...

Still clearing out Andy???

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Andybarbet

posted on 4/9/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
You know me Rich, i cant face throwing it away but will never need to paint the garage again - Cant stand waste

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.