Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First try at spray painting
smart51

posted on 12/9/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
First try at spray painting

I've tried my spray gun for the first time today. After a bit of playing round with the controls I got it to spray on some cellulost primer on quite nicely. That's after I worked out you have to hold the trigger all the way in if you want paint as well as air.

Anyway, what the paint has done is show just how bad my panels are. They are just full of little holes and craters, scrapes, scratches, gouges and "swage" lines that just aren't as straight as they seemed in the filler. I could get some more filler out and go over each imperfection, then re-sand it. Is there a better way? Is there a spray filler that can then be sanded back easily?

MakeEverything

posted on 12/9/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Use high build primer or primer filler.

You can get this from Halfords in a tin if youre desperate, and just use it on the areas that need it, ready for sanding down.

Other than that, skim the whole panel with filler, and sand back for a completely flat surface. To hide a crater using spots of filler is harder than it looks, and takes more skill than i have!!

I would use high build primer on the spots, and sand those back. This way, you can control how many layers you want to use in a particular area, without it going off in your hand and turning into plasticine making it impossible to apply.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Guinness

posted on 12/9/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think what you do is spray 1-2 coats of high build primer, then spray a thin coat of black over the top, and sand that back. Any imperfections will show up black, which will need filling again and sanding back.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/primer.htm

Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 12/9/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I think what you do is spray 1-2 coats of high build primer, then spray a thin coat of black over the top, and sand that back. Any imperfections will show up black, which will need filling again and sanding back.

Yes, it's called a guide coat.

twybrow

posted on 12/9/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively, carbon dust (coal, charcoal etc) brushed over the surface is brilliant at picking up defects in the panels....
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 12/9/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
there is some stuff that's a two pack spray filler, not two pack as in isocyanate stuff but as in filler & hardener, you'll need a gravity fed gun though and a decent compressor, i used this some years back to good effect on a car i had to strip all gel coat off, you'll have to get it from trade outlet though.
Fred W B

posted on 12/9/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The duratec surfacing primer/filler I'm using is the right stuff - Expensive, but it sands easily to a beautifull finish

This is sanded only with 240 grit so far, and wiped over with a damp cloth to see the surface

Cheers

Fred W B

surface
surface

[Edited on 12/9/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MakeEverything

posted on 12/9/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fred WB,

Is that your plug youre still working on? Looks like youve made some great progress.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Fred W B

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is that your plug youre still working on?

Yes, I am now just about finished sanding back a second cost of surfacer.

Also chasing pinholes with spot putty and still have to finalize marking the headlight covers witness lines.

I haven't posted in my thread as this length of time is getting embarassing.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 13/9/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

smart51

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
I haven't posted in my thread as this length of time is getting embarassing.

Which is a shame as your tread and project are an inspiration.

NS Dev

posted on 15/9/09 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
and in brum for paint (you prob use them already) use Jawel paints

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

smart51

posted on 16/9/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Second time lucky and Jowel were open. I picked up some cellulose spray putty and it has covered nicely. It showed up a couple of pin holes that I'd missed and a heavy hand with the gun has filled them. Lumpily, but I'm going to sand it back anyway.

They guy in the shop said it should be thinned 50:50 like paint but it is thinner from the tin than the primer I've had. Should it be thinned or is it ready to use?

It is this stuff only cheaper and without the postage.

I've just read the ebay description which says ready to use.

[Edited on 16-9-2009 by smart51]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.