Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hello and single seater plans
paul2k1uk

posted on 20/9/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
hello and single seater plans

Hello all,

Been registered on here for a little while, always popping back and reading and viewing peoples projects.

Been planning a self build project for a year now, and finally im pulling my finger out and getting cracking.

Im planning on building a single seater formula style car, with a Suzuki GSXR 750 engine Should be interesting and stressful build. But im hoping ill get all the help i need reading and asking questions on this forum

I plan on building my chassis my self, with the help of my dad and his mate who love building things out of steel and have good experience welding and getting round issues that might arise. The only thing is none of us have built any sort of chassis before so this will be the main task to overcome, and to get everything fitted. Where as iv been in the bodywork trade now for 6 years so shouldn't have issues for that at all

I am revamping my garage for the build, so will be start welding in a month or so. ATM im just trying to get some ideas down on paper that stay there

Iv searched and searched for single seater chassis plans for almost a year now, but failed. I also have concern on uprights to use, hugs, steering rack etc. I pick up my engine in a week.

Hope to have allot of interesting related feedback to my build, and will start a build website and thread soon.

Hope your all enjoying the nice weather this weekend

Paul

big_wasa

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
There is a build your own single seater book but it doesnt have plans.

But it does have plenty of ideas for designing in your own.

link

[Edited on 20/9/09 by big_wasa]

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The currently banned Mr Gibbs is releasing a single seater book, similar to the haynes roadster book he wrote that includes plans etc.

His is powered by a fireblade lump (or so I'm guessing from all his questions about the engine)

I bet that will have some great pointers on hubs and steering racks etc (chincechento is ringing a faint bell for some reason....)

Anyhow - all the best with your plans!

scootz

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I would go and buy an old Formula car and just convert it. You can pick them up cheap-enough, you know that they've been designed to work properly and they're ready built!

Biggest PITA will be getting ride height to a suitable level for everyday driving, but it's certainly not impossible... I had a Formula Vauxhall Lotus a couple of years back and just by putting on 18" centre locks alone got the ride height up to 10cm.

paul2k1uk

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input so far

I forgot to clear one thing up, the car will be trackday only. no speedbumps or pot holes wooo

im not up for buying a ready built car, it takes the fun out of the project i think

sorry for the confusion

[Edited on 20/9/09 by paul2k1uk]

scootz

posted on 20/9/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ah...

Would still suggest that you don't discount buying a race car and convert it to your specific taste. Will still be plenty of work to do!

designer

posted on 20/9/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why not a Terrapin? Single seat, cheap arts, and some were built with bike engines.

Search for Alan Staniforth, High Speed Low Cost book.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 20/9/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've been down this route - converting an existing race car is probably your best option but even that's not easy! I don't want to hijack your post but I do have a car for sale if you're interested.

Wyn

prawnabie

posted on 20/9/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful wyn, the police are lurking somewhere you can bet lol
lsdweb

posted on 20/9/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Be careful wyn, the police are lurking somewhere you can bet

The mood I'm in they'll get a pretty blunt response! :-)

prawnabie

posted on 20/9/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
hehehee
andkilde

posted on 20/9/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go hang out on the forums at www.fsae.com and maybe pop round the local uni to see a few of the single seaters the kids build. They often get a bit silly with the "cutting edge" weight shaving techniques (1/4" suspension bolts ?!?) but they generally build a new chassis every year and keep the old one's around for a few years. I'd also hang around in the paddock at the 750 motor club events -- their cars are usually full bodied but the chassis' are similar to what you'll want underneath.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PHULL

posted on 23/9/09 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
Some books you might consider reading

"High Speed Low Cost" is about a single seat car called a Terrapin designed by the late Allan Stainforth, it walks you through the suspension design and development phase. And there should be plans for it available for sale. Allan Stainforth also wrote a few other notable titles like "The Race and Rally Souce Book" and "Competition Car Suspension" should get you on the right track.

Also the book mentioned above is good
also do a few searches in the BEC of the forum for tips on building up a Chain drive rear end for the bike engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.