Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kids Kit Car!!
mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Kids Kit Car!!

Hi, I really want to build a Kids scale Kit car for me after being a member of the forum for a while I am Green with envy for anyone who has a Kit Car. I am 13 and because of that and uninthusiastic parents i am wnating to build on a super low budget. I was thinking of building around just over 1/2 scale. Anyone got any ideas or tips on building super super cheap.
rallyingden

posted on 25/9/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Start building a full size one .......... If its anything like a lot of us you will be old enough to drive it by the time you finish it......
mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car

I'm not planning on building alone and unlike you guys i don't have to comply with the SVA or the IVA so i have complete freedom with that really!
omega0684

posted on 25/9/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mudbugracer
I'm not planning on building alone and unlike you guys i don't have to comply with the SVA or the IVA so i have complete freedom with that really!

so where you going to drive it, have you got a massive privately owned piece of land for do you parents have stakes in a track!

you won't be able to drive it on the road, what are you going to use to power it? ok your only 13 and probably as egar as ever but do you not think it would be better to start planning a full scale build and practice techniques that you are going to need when you build one for real (welding etc) how are you funding your project? at 13 i was doing 4 paper rounds and that didn't earn me much, if your thinking that you can get one on the road for £250 like the ron chapman book says, i wouldn't be offended if a few people though that you are a bit naive.

not trying to dampen your spirit, im just making your aware of considerations that you may not of thought of,

GOOD LUCK with your build, you may even become the youngest locostbuilder yet!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rudy

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
What about build or rebuild a kart ? You could use it on the track and have great fun. I am looking to buy a used kart for my son too

[Edited on 25/9/09 by Rudy]

Sorry about my English

mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I can completly understand you concerns and i have considered everything you have mentioned but i thought the whole point was that anyone could build and own a locost because they are cheap. Also i can asure you i am in no way naive enough to think £250 is anywhere near achiveable. Thanks for the comments anyway!

[Edited on 25/9/09 by mudbugracer]

stevebubs

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.toylander.com/ and let your dad have a go...
02GF74

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
how you are gonna power it and where you plan to use it needs to be clearly defined.

1/2 scal at 13? in the next few years you will probalby grow up by 50% so the car will be too small.

if you want something to play with, then a plywood body, 12 V battery powered motor could be reasonably cheaply - but it will be a toy.

otherwise start on the real thing.

mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

that sounds like sound advice as i do just want something for a bit of fun not a racing machine! Cheers
scootz

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the start building a full-size Se7en camp! It's certainly not beyond you.

Building something that has an eventual 'purpose' will keep you focused and maintain your enthusiasm.

Trust me, the novelty of building a half-car will wear off PDQ! The word 'folly' springs to mind!

mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have considered that option but at the current point I do not have a garage to build in wheras i know where icould store, build(with help) and use a 1/2 scale seven.
Fozzie

posted on 25/9/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
........ you may even become the youngest locostbuilder yet!

No..he wont....Adam (phelpsa) was our youngest builder....signed up when he was 12 IIRC.......

I am with the 'build a full size' lot too .....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice Fozzie will keep thinking!
jacko

posted on 25/9/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Where do you live ?
Town
some one may live near you and help / take you for a ride then you will want the real thing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andkilde

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there are plenty of motorsports opportunities for youngsters in Britain these days.

Classes for grasstracking, stock car racing and karting. Thinking along this line as it will give you opportunities and venues to drive. There might even be a juniors class in the 750 motor club (you'd have to check, I don't actually know).

I just finished building a go-kart with my ten year old son over the summer -- we've both had a ton of fun with it (so far, I've enjoyed building primarily and he's keener on the driving experience). We haven't looked at anything competitive, just breaking the local traffic laws and annoying the neighbours in our subdivision.

I've always been intrigued by the small bike powered racing buggies as well.

http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R6_manual.htm

Is one example, Rorty used to be a frequent contributor here.

Good Luck, Ted

A1

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
how about a cart with a bike engine? would be awesomely fast and dead simple to make

ps or start saving up for a full scale one now so you can get it when you get your license...

[Edited on 25/9/09 by A1]

mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ted

THanks for the encouragment Ted!
mudbugracer

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
My Ride

I have had a passenger ride in the real thing with a busa engine and its awsome will take all advice into account but istill have the problem of a build area for a full size seven!
fuzzy!!

posted on 25/9/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
bit too old for this then LINKY
Ninehigh

posted on 26/9/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
What about that single seater that was talked about for a while on here? It already is half size!

maz6611

posted on 9/10/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
kids kit car

did any body have a look at Fuzzys link, i built that one for Ron Champion, see my other ones in pics of your car, the half size ones are better as grown ups can drive them about, as they are made with invalid running gear we had no trouble from the law, suspension ect same as the book keith

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.