Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto - rolling road result - any advice?
black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto - rolling road result - any advice?

Last Sat I was with my Tiger on rolling test before tuning and setting engine.

My specification:

Pinto block 205, injection head

Skimming head 1,75mm, change radius inside according book "How tunning Pinto engine", standard valve

Inlet manifold - GBS

Carbs Mikuni 36mm choke with TPS (from GBS) - probably from ZX6R Kawa - main jet 168

Exhoust manifold (GBS) outside diametr 39mm _4-1_ 50mm and CAN supply from Tiger

Air filter Pipercross

MJL Ignition (Chester Sportscars)

Camshaft FR33

Results with airfilter - power on engine 144 hp @ 5633 rev., torque192 Nm @ 4869 rev. (on wheels 128 hp)

After 6000 rev power going rapidly down - I expected peak of power around 6500-7000 rev - maybe its due diameter of exhaust manifold - only 39mm OD - its good for torque in middle revs but not good for camshaft FR33 with high revs.

Pls have anyone FR33 cam? Which exhoust outside diametr are using for Pinto - due book and my mind is best 45mm (and what diametr are used after collector?)- but I need some experience or advice ... becouse made manifold is little expensive and I want do only one...

Thank you for any advice :-)

Petr

Im building Tiger Cat E1 Duratec engine

02GF74

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
firtsly take a look at the bottom of the graphs and study the colours - you will find that the curve witohout filter gives higher readings, as you would if you think about it

what is surpring is how much the filter saps, and this occurs in the low had high range, but not much difference in the middle.

I wonder why it is like that at low rpm? I would have thought it be more restrictive at higher rpms when larger volumes of air are drawn in.

omega0684

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
has the head been ported at all?

are you running std inlet and exhaust valves?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
has the head been ported at all?

are you running std inlet and exhaust valves?

Inlet was ported slightly - cut guide for valves
Exhoust was ported little bit more due book
Valves are standard only change geometry

omega0684

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
you can take loads of the exhaust port when porting, for the inlets you want to make the the inner lip of the port virtually none existant! the bad thing about the pinto head is that the inlet ports are too big for the std valve sizes, ideally you want to have bigger inlets valves fitted,

-std valves are 42mm (inlet) and 36mm (exhaust) respectively,
a stage 1 head just has porting done to it,
-stage 2 head has bigger inlets of 44.5mm with std exhaust,
-stage 3 head has 44.5 mm inlets, 38.1 exhausts
-full race head has 45.5mm inlets and 38.1mm outlets

i would say that you see considerably more advantage on the stage 3 and race head but at this point you are starting to spend a lot of cash. The difficult thing about having a race head is that its very hard to cut the seats without them overlapping.

i run 45.5mm inlets and std 36.1mm exhausts on mine and then i've ported right down to the back of the valve seat on the exhaust side to help with breathability, if you look in dave vizzards book there isn't a considerable difference between fitting the std exhausts to the slightly larger 38.1mm exhaust, extra porting can help minimise the difference.

As for your exhaust manifold, if you want top end power the stick with the 4-1 setup, if you want more mid range torque consider changing to a 4-2-1.
HTH's

Alex

[Edited on 29/9/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
you can take loads of the exhaust port when porting, for the inlets you want to make the the inner lip of the port virtually none existant! the bad thing about the pinto head is that the inlet ports are too big for the std valve sizes, ideally you want to have bigger inlets valves fitted,

-std valves are 42mm (inlet) and 36mm (exhaust) respectively,
a stage 1 head just has porting done to it,
-stage 2 head has bigger inlets of 44.5mm with std exhaust,
-stage 3 head has 44.5 mm inlets, 38.1 exhausts
-full race head has 45.5mm inlets and 38.1mm outlets

i would say that you see considerably more advantage on the stage 3 and race head but at this point you are starting to spend a lot of cash. The difficult thing about having a race head is that its very hard to cut the seats without them overlapping.

i run 45.5mm inlets and std 36.1mm exhausts on mine and then i've ported right down to the back of the valve seat on the exhaust side to help with breathability, if you look in dave vizzards book there isn't a considerable difference between fitting the std exhausts to the slightly larger 38.1mm exhaust, extra porting can help minimise the difference.

As for your exhaust manifold, if you want top end power the stick with the 4-1 setup, if you want more mid range torque consider changing to a 4-2-1.
HTH's

Alex

[Edited on 29/9/09 by omega0684]

Thank you Alex... in close future I dont want change head work like bigger valves etc. - due money - but I still thinking about my exhaust manifold - becouse I think that its made for standard engine not for my cams... and I would like use potential FR33 cams (powerbend 3000-7500) and remove peak of power little bit higher revs... and due result from rolling I thing that most restrictiv are my ex manifold - O.D. 39... for higher rpm need more O.D....
What outside diameter are using on your Pinto and what type cams are you using if I could ask?

PS: about torque - 192Nm is very good result (its due used 39mm ex man) but I dont need it in mid range I want have it littel bit higer revs and for it is 4-1 good choice...

Schrodinger

posted on 29/9/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that the size of the chokes was restricting your engine a bit.

Keith
Aviemore

Andy D

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting just over 170bhp from a 2.1 pinto, using roughly the same size exhaust manifold. Four into one, primaries are 40mm o/d into 50mm collector.
flak monkey

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Your exhaust is fine. The exhaust ports on a pinto do need opening out to match the felpro large bore gaskets. There is a lot of material in them on the sides and top of the port, do not remove any from the bottom though.

I would say your carbs are the restrictive bit. I would say its running out of air above 6000rpm. 38mm chokes are as big as you need to go on a pinto. Your carbs dont have those silly sliding bits do they like a lot of bike carbs? They are massively restrictive. You may also be running out of fuel above 6000rpm I dont know how your jet sizes translate into mm sizes but I was running 1.65mm mains on my pinto when I had webers.

Its evident when the engine is coming on cam at 3500rpm looking at the graph as the power and torque curves rise rapidly.

Where is your inlet? Is it inside the bonnet or sticking out of the side? If its inside, cut a hole in the bonnet, or repeat the tests with the bonnet removed. A 2 litre engine moves about 230cfm of air at 6500rpm IIRC which is quite a bit especially if there is any restriction in front of the carb inlets.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
I'm getting just over 170bhp from a 2.1 pinto, using roughly the same size exhaust manifold. Four into one, primaries are 40mm o/d into 50mm collector.

Great! Thank you for saved money ...and I try find problem on other side.

Regards,
Petr

black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Your exhaust is fine. The exhaust ports on a pinto do need opening out to match the felpro large bore gaskets. There is a lot of material in them on the sides and top of the port, do not remove any from the bottom though.

I would say your carbs are the restrictive bit. I would say its running out of air above 6000rpm. 38mm chokes are as big as you need to go on a pinto. Your carbs dont have those silly sliding bits do they like a lot of bike carbs? They are massively restrictive. You may also be running out of fuel above 6000rpm I dont know how your jet sizes translate into mm sizes but I was running 1.65mm mains on my pinto when I had webers.

Its evident when the engine is coming on cam at 3500rpm looking at the graph as the power and torque curves rise rapidly.

Where is your inlet? Is it inside the bonnet or sticking out of the side? If its inside, cut a hole in the bonnet, or repeat the tests with the bonnet removed. A 2 litre engine moves about 230cfm of air at 6500rpm IIRC which is quite a bit especially if there is any restriction in front of the carb inlets.

David

Thank you David, your information are very useful for me!

Add main jet - its probably 1,68mm and wideband lambda - display that exhoust gas is too rich (I must set up correctly carbs) - I think that engine have enough fuel...

Add test _ on the rolling I made test without bonnet... see pictures under

Add airfilter - I though that this Pipercross isn´t restrictiv but... which type of airfilter would be better?

black.viper

posted on 29/9/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Here I have video from testing without airfilter _ please, see what happend when tester set fullthrottle around 2000rpm _ fuel foam from carbs _ is it normal?
Carbs are set up from GBS without any resetuping and doing this from 2000 to 2500 rpm ... when is there air filter - is still wet from fuel :-(

Sorry for lenght of video (72MB) Im not on my computer... http://tiger.nasealbum.cz/Storages/Rolling_road_without_airfilter.MPG

flak monkey

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Too much fuel then.

You need an AFR of 12.7 at wide open throttle for max power all the way through the rev range.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeRJ

posted on 30/9/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
The filter should not be restrictive at those power levels, a friend of mine is getting 275 bhp from a 2L Mi16 engine running the same sized filter.
black.viper

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Too much fuel then.

You need an AFR of 12.7 at wide open throttle for max power all the way through the rev range.

David

Thanks... I tested smaller main jet - 1,45 but power going rapidly down (max speed which I use for test going down from 185 to 171kmph) and carbs do same thing when you set full throttle from small and middle rpm... (and after this were sparks absolutly white - poor fuel)

Need I change position of needle? Or is enough re-setup mixture screws placed from bottom of carbs?

Thx Petr... sorry for stupid question, I dont have any experiences with settings bike carbs.

black.viper

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The filter should not be restrictive at those power levels, a friend of mine is getting 275 bhp from a 2L Mi16 engine running the same sized filter.

Yes I agree with you... but if I look on the rolling road graph I see 16hp difference between with or without filters at 7krpm ...this is big difference... but I absolutly dont know what with it

black.viper

posted on 30/9/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D

Could I ask you for your engine specification? And if you have your graph from rolling road... could I see it?

I would be very glad.

Thx Petr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.