Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlight covers Fury
Jos Fury

posted on 4/10/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Headlight covers Fury

Hi all,
Has anybody ever made / bought headlamp covers for the Fury classic bonnet ?

McLannahan

posted on 4/10/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - This came up on Sylva chat a while ago and I registered an interest in it too.

It would appear that no-one has made any but many would like to have some! I've a LeMans bonnet now which obviously the covers exist for so I'm not in need now of them.

I did ask a supplier of some Fury parts if he would consider making them and he seemed keen enough but would need commitment before he did them.

Other places I asked just weren't interested - too much tooling costs for a reasonably low return. Having said that - The LeMans covers are not cheap - easy money made there!

I can drop you the guy's contact details if that helps?

All the best

hobbsy

posted on 4/10/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Jos - I've replied to your post on the sylva chat list but thought I'd reply here as well.

I'm interested in a set and will try and look into it but I don't know anywhere that does this kind of thing...

bram boekestein

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Jos and me where discussing it for his car and making it shouldn't be such a big problem, but mounting it is.

You don't have an edge or something you can screw into.
You could make an edge with polyesther or something, but you're always going to see that through the plexi.

Anyone any suggestions or off-the-shelf solutions?

hobbsy

posted on 4/10/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too bothered about having small L-shaped brackets to hold them on...
Jos Fury

posted on 5/10/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Making them may not be as easy as it looks. As with everything kitcar related it takes a lot more time as expexted.
I have asked "someone" if he wants to make some. Will let you know the outcome.

Jos Fury

posted on 5/10/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like early next year it would be possible to have them made.
Shaping them will not be so easy and also changing the headlight for something smaller ,like 5,75inch, is necesary.
Whats the best mould material to use ?

[Edited on 5/10/09 by Jos Fury]

Schrodinger

posted on 6/10/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how different the Fury is to the Stylus but somebody on the Clubstylus forum has had some made up
http://www.clubstylus.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=813
they cost £49 / pair

Keith
Aviemore

Jos Fury

posted on 6/10/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Keith, I already contacted that person.
But thank you for the reply though.
The Stylus covers are quite different from the Fury ones.

hobbsy

posted on 6/10/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ah - I was just about to give him a call.

Did he say that he definitely can't make different ones for the Fury for us then?

Jos Fury

posted on 6/10/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hobbsy : I f I remember correctly I only asked if the ones for his stylus would fit the Fury.
hobbsy

posted on 7/10/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Andy Westgate about half an hour ago.

He currently sells Stylus units but is willing to design and make some units for the Fury if they can actually be made to fit properly.

The main issue so far we think is the chrome headlight bezel.

There are a few ways this could be tackled:

1) remove it and have something else that covers the screwheads etc on the headlight

2) have a curved bulge to clear it.

There are probably other options.

What he does need in any case is a classic Fury bonnet (or complete car!) to work from.

I will probably send him some photos tonight so he can get a better idea of whats involved but I'm not really in a position to let him have my car at the moment.

He lives in Lambourn (near Hungerford) and is currently working in/near Stroud (Gloucestershire) so anywhere near there or along the route (e.g. Swindon).

Does anyone know of someone with a Fury near there who'd be willing to assist?

Or have someone got a scrap bonnet they could cut the relevant bits out of and send to him?

I will put a post on the sylva chat list saying to come here for further info as its easier to manage on here.

Also if anyone wants to speak to Andy direct about this his mobile number is 07733282947

He reckons ~£49 a pair in ABS as that is what he is selling the Stylus units for.

Its possible to make them in perspex but the tooling and unit cost will be a lot higher.

If anyone wants to show a firm interest at that price level it would be useful (please post your interest here!).

A list of prospective purchasers will no doubt help to expedite the development of them!

I've just emailed him a link to this thread so can he see whats going on and who's interested / might be able to let them use their car to help develop them (may receive a discounted set as an incentive?)

[Edited on 7/10/09 by hobbsy]

Jos Fury

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you for your effort ! What are the advantages-disadvantages of ABS for this purpose ?

I am in for 2 sets.

Brommers

posted on 7/10/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'd certainly be interested - in fact, I'd have 3 pairs at that price - one for each car, and one spare. Seems sensible to me, if the headlamps are behind a cover, just to leave the chrome surround off. Anyone who's fussy about looks can always paint the black plastic shell of the headlamp nest.

Cheers
Dan

hobbsy

posted on 7/10/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cool.

Well I want at least one pair so thats 6 already.

Just need to try and get a car or bonnet to him so he's got something to work from!

tiffshaw

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

thanks to the guys for putting the work in for this.

Put me down for a set too if it goes ahead.

hobbsy

posted on 7/10/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Having a proper look at mine its going to be tight to get them to clear the headlight and the indicators. But not impossible... may need to relocate my indicators back a bit.
dickie b

posted on 8/10/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Hobbsy, Jos and all

I can help with donating an old bonnet ! - Its bit of a long story, but a good one of why I have it spare and what state it in, but here goes.

The bonnet is a yellow big bulge Classic. It originally belonged to Peter Rosenthal until it had a major disagreement with the Cadwell armco.

After that Steve Jones obtained it and used it to take a bonnet bulge moulding from to help his 'original' bonnet gain the required hump to fit over his fresh Zetec install. I then had it off Steve with a view to restoring it to use on my ongoing Fury (k-series) build.

Shortly after, I bought a set of bodywork from Michael McLannahan when he recently switched over to new Spyder bodywork.

I then gave to Steve Michael's (ultra) big bulge bonnet, so Steve has earmarked me his old original modified flat bonnet.

(are you keeping up at the back?..)

So er.. I have one rather bruised and battered bonnet in my garage.

But - despite my best intentions (and all the materials to hand ready to start the work), the bonnet needs such a heck of lot of work to get it anywhere near presentable. It is covered in star-cracks and scrapes and whilst it could be restored to former glory (at the hands of a grp pro) the work and time involved for a muggle like me is considerable. Frankly I dont think I will ever get it to a standard I would be happy with either !

Hence, it makes sense to donate it to the cause as it is really just surplus to my requirements and it would be good to help out the Fury owners who have helped me out so kindly over the past few years.

All I would want to keep is to cut out the (untouched) bonnet bulge, but the sections around the lamps (which are intact) could be lopped out and sent out? (If anyone wants any other part / section just let me know)

The bonnet and I reside just near Wycombe (Bucks). Will stick some piccies in my archive over the weeked.

Hope this may help with the cause?

cheers

Richard

P.S- Put me down for a set of covers too...

hobbsy

posted on 9/10/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Richard - you have U2U.

So thats 7 pairs so far...

Creative Andy

posted on 11/10/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Fury Headlight covers

quote:
Originally posted by Jos Fury
Thank you for your effort ! What are the advantages-disadvantages of ABS for this purpose ?

I am in for 2 sets.

Perspex is a much more resiliant material, and although ABS needs a bit more care in terms of being careful not to polish it with a grit filled cloth..I am able to produce these for almost half the previous cost of £80 a set to the Stylus owners. At the present time I am a non profit making concern, helping Sylva owners with their light covers...when the great day arrives and I make a small profit I'll be more than happy to contribute to this wonderful site!!! In the meantime I welcome any help I can get to produce these covers for you Fury owners

Jos Fury

posted on 13/10/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you !!
Jos Fury

posted on 28/10/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
any news
hobbsy

posted on 28/10/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Richard has very kindly dropped off his old damaged bonnet with Andy.

Andy's working on it. I guess he'll either email me or post on here when there is more news but I'd imagine this isn't the only thing he's working on at the moment.

Jos Fury

posted on 28/10/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you Richard for dropping of the body. Was just being curious here.
Creative Andy

posted on 30/10/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Perspex covers!

Hi All..... I've started to prep the Fury bonnet, and will be working towards producing the (ABS) headlight covers. Last week however I found a guy who could produce them in tinted perspex....the down side is you'd be looking at about £70 a pair....still £10 cheaper than the Stylus guys were paying for theirs. Whilst we're on that subject....8 to 10 Stylus owners said they'd be up for my ABS covers, so I bit the bullet and produced the tooling and had ten sets made....todate I've only sold 4 leaving me out of pocket. I'd just like some sort of reassurance that I'm at least going to break even this time.......ie those that have said they want these covers, buy them. Also would the majority want the cheaper ABS versions or the more expensive perspex ones. If you'd like to have a chat amoungst yourselves, then somebody e-mail me that would be great. In the meantime I'll crack on with the basic mouldings. cheers for now Andyw
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.