Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to fit a used cam in an engine
MikeR

posted on 15/10/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
How to fit a used cam in an engine

I've got a couple of used cams, one is a kent 234 which i think looks ok.

how do i know if its ok or knackered?

How should I go about fitting it into my engine - do i use followers from the existing cam, new followers, special lube or ??? etc

[Edited on 15/10/09 by MikeR]

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/10/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Check the lobes for wear. Anything from kent will need very careful checking. Or indeed wera may be obvious. You can also use a vernier to check the lobes all give the same lift.
Pitting on the lobes is bad!
If the old followers are perfect, use those. If not numbered and you are locost, a little time resurfacing the faces using 1200 wet and dry with WD40 on a PERFECTLY flat surface should do the trick.
I don't think special cam lube is needed on a used cam, I have never bothered. The micro surface should be well sorted. But if worried it will do no harm.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
a worn out cams pretty obvious as the lobes are not usually worn right across and if worn will have a slot cut out the top. You could also simply measure lift and compare it against the details in the Kent cam specs, you'll find them on the web.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 16/10/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Measure the lobes with a vernier caliper, or micrometer and compare against the Kent Cams spec for that particular cam.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

ashg

posted on 16/10/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
if it was worn there would be ridges on the lobes. just fit it douce with oil and see how it goes

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

gazza285

posted on 16/10/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Followers are wider than the lobes so no slots or ridges. Not as simple as measuring the lobes and consulting the specs as the base radii on Crossflow cams vary depending on the grind, not forgetting the rocker ratio as well.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Memphis Twin

posted on 16/10/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cam wear is caused by a lack of lubrication to the lobes, something that doesn't affect crossflow cams because they are buried deep in the block and are literally soaked in oil. I've never seen a worn aftermarket crossflow cam shaft.
I'd use new followers though...

rusty nuts

posted on 16/10/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis Twin
Cam wear is caused by a lack of lubrication to the lobes, something that doesn't affect crossflow cams because they are buried deep in the block and are literally soaked in oil

I've changed a few crossflow cams over the years due to lack of lubrication

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.