Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC battery issues
bassett

posted on 18/10/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
BEC battery issues

Hi, Today I had my first break down in the kit car where i pulled into a pertrol station, accidently left the fan running and when i came to start it there was almost nothing there. This led to pushing it home as i had nothing with me. luckily it was mostly down a steep hill where i jumped in but the first 100m of sloping up road wasnt fun at all. I have been having starting issues recently and have measured voltage drop from 13.4v after a run to 12.2v before i went to start it the next day. After a quick trickle charge it is usually ready to go though.

So does my problem sound like the battery? its only been in the car about 8 months and the car is used usually every week.

Is 13.4v too high a charge for a bec battery or does that sound ok as i thought possible it could be overcharging but i know this would be fine for a tintop?

Is there any better ways to measure battery health as i used to work with a bosch battery scanner measuring volts, amps and alternator charge but only have a cheap multimetre at home?

Thanks
Adam

[Edited on 18/10/09 by bassett]

BenB

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
13.4v sounds rather a low charge for a BEC battery....

I suspect your battery might be on the way out. BEC batteries tend to be a bit fragile and like intensive care style topping up with optimates and the like.

twybrow

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a wiring issue somewhere, that it is draining the battery? What voltage is the battery when running/charging?
bassett

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, It used to start fine from anything above 12.8v and I do have a trickle charger but i dont use it as were mostly out in it every week - whats the recommended amount of time to leave the charger on for?

Only problem being a wirirng issue is i wonder where from as i rewired the entire R1 loom (had bern completly butchered) and it had been fine up untill 3-4 weeks back where it didnt always like starting and usually i take the battery cut off key out when its left standing. Charging voltage is around 13-14v i think.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

bassett

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Does the ampage need to be checked at all like i did with tintop batteris?

nitram38

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Trickle chargers kill batteries!
You need an inteligent charger like the optimate or ctek

bassett

posted on 18/10/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
really? i only leave it on till the battery is at a fairly healthy level then switch it off its not left on for long periods

LBMEFM

posted on 18/10/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
You really should'nt really have to have it on a trickle charge if you use it every weekend. When you put the car away disconnect the battery then re-connect when you use it that way the battery should always be fully charged. There must be a slight drain on it somewhere. Mine charges up to 14 volts with the engine running fast, do you think the rectifyer may be faulty, a very common fault. You can pick up a second hand one for under £20 at most breakers. Barry
Kriss

posted on 18/10/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
i use my car ,ost weeks. ha been left 3-4 weeks once though. never had any charges used on it ata ll and onyl got a small BEc battery
bassett

posted on 18/10/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Kriss - it is a bike battery and it was just one odd weekend i started noticing it just didnt want to start straight away although i was unsure on the last time it had been used but since it got its plates in the summer its been out quite regularly.

Just checked it this afternoon and after an hour or two of charge it started on the button and its charging at 14.2v which i think my diy rewiring was ok so im really thinking it must be the battery as even the cut off switch cuts everything to the battery and its still loosing charge quickly. Maybe it was damaged with all the testing etc in the final stages of the build when we had big engine starting issues. Ive found a replacement for £43 which i dont think is too bad unless anyone knows cheaper suppliers?

Thanks
Adam

[Edited on 18/10/09 by bassett]

rob2005

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I had that happen not long ago, luckily i only had 100 yards to push it to my friends garage.

Checked the battery and it was dry, no water at all.

Ill get a new one now in the new year when its back on the road.

Fortune favours the brave!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.