Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Florida Car rental
Lurch88

posted on 25/10/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Florida Car rental

I'm off to Florida on holiday in Feb next year
Does anyone have any advice on Car rental?
Good/Bad Company's
Bad experiences etc

I dont want to end up standing at the desk being asked for $$$$$$ for extra whatever.
Thanks
Lurch

Humbug

posted on 25/10/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've used cardelmar.co.uk and skycars.com several times now, including once in Florida (can't remember which company). You choose all your options up front before you travel, you can pay a deposit and the balance a few weeks before travelling. No problems with either of those to date
JoelP

posted on 25/10/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
we booked a car to pick up at orlando airport, but when there i got the distinct impression it would've been a LOT cheaper to walk between a few desks and get competetive quotes.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Andi

posted on 25/10/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
make sure you dont get the cheapest insurance as youll have to upgrade at the airport in FLA and they`ll proper sting you.
Also if its Sandford Orlando, choose the smallest cheapest car and when they try to upgrade you keep saying no and they`ll upgrade for free as they dont have the super economy cars there. At least not in the 5 years ive been going.
Try looking round the car park at the front before you go in and youll see what i mean

[Edited on 25/10/09 by Andi]

Hammerhead

posted on 25/10/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
shelby 500 mustang I reckon

[Edited on 25/10/09 by Hammerhead]

GreigM

posted on 25/10/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The thing you've got to watch when renting in the USA is insurance - their standard rates don't include it as most americans have insurance through their own car policy or credit card, so its not included as standard - being from the UK you want to book from here for a price which includes all the insurance you need, as to buy it at the counter in the US will be very pricey.

I've used:
www.usrentacar.co.uk a few times - prices are fully inclusive so don't need to take anything else at the desk (they'll still try, but its unnecessary).

Also try the prepaid rates on hertz.co.uk - occasionally come up cheaper.

Also try www.holidayautos.co.uk but I never find them competitive...

As for service they're all much the same.

tony9876

posted on 25/10/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
www.uscarhire.co.uk

I have used them the last 6 years and always been the cheapest. They compare the main providers and give good discounts.

Usually pay around £400 for 2 weeks in a Grand Cherokee or similar including tank of petrol unlimited drivers and full insurance.

skydivepaul

posted on 25/10/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
u2u me and i will give you the number of a friend of mine who runs a travel agency. he gets the best deals I know, always the cheapest. he uses the rental companies who have main desks in the airport.
As said before watch the small print. they always get you to try to pay for some obscure insurance even if you have the best cover.

if you book online go for a real cheapy and book a two door. they never have any two doors so you will get a four door / better car by default as they never have these available.

or go for a hertz shelby mustang!!!
only problem is they dont have these at either Orlando or Sanford

cheers

Paul

[Edited on 25/10/09 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

andkilde

posted on 25/10/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you have extended rental car coverage on your personal policy, make sure you get a letter from your insurance provider and tuck it in with the rest of your travel documents. Canadians have it easy, our policies pretty much always provide US cover, but make sure yours does before you leave England.

Even if you have to add an endorsement to your personal policy it will likely be cheaper than the rip-off rates you get charged by the rental car outfits.

I got stung in Costa Rica last year, I had coverage through my carrier but no letter to prove it so my pre-booked $200/wk car turned into a $450/wk car.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miketheconn

posted on 26/10/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going in December and have booked with
www.usrentacar.com as Graigm has posted.

I used to always rent with Yescarhire as they were the cheapest but there website has been saying they are updating there website for the last few weeks and they aren't answering their phone. I'm assuming they have gone bump.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.