Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec black top supercharging
steveyb

posted on 5/11/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
zetec black top supercharging

has any one on here super charged their black top zetec?

what kind of price tag comes along with this and what all is needed?

i looked up on jackson racing ones and they do a kit for $3000

is there a cheaper way of doing it, even using a different supercharger?

what kind of extra power gain from a stock engine?

what all did the black top zetec come in? and is there different versions of it? i know there is ones in the likes of an 03 focus but do these still bolt up to a type 9 or mt75 gearbox?

[Edited on 5/11/09 by steveyb]

andkilde

posted on 5/11/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
The Jackson kit has no provisions for an intercooler so it's a bit limited.

There's division of Mahle (powerworks) that do an intercooled blacktop setup -- but it's fairl expensive as well.

You could probably gather up all the bits and cobble together a locost setup if you're not afraid of fiddling with the tune yourself.

The Eaton M62 is the unit Mahle and I think Jackson use, but the smaller vortech style units (look a bit like a belt drive turbo) are probably easier to package in a seven.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 5/11/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
isn't flak monkey dave doing his at the minute too? he should be able to help i'd think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 5/11/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
hes doing a duratec. Different beast.

Craig

coozer

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Rotrex supercharger, fairly DIY, whatever suits.

http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk/

Blacktop zetecs all bolt up to type 9's and are essentially the same. Some small differences in the block casting but nothing you'd notice...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
hes doing a duratec. Different beast.

oh yeah, sorry i knew it was a ford. move along, nothing to see here

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

andkilde

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Roughly 2l, four cylinders, I'd suspect as far as superchargers plumbing and tuning go it'd be horses for courses.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 5/11/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at THIS vid for a few diy ideas.

The eaton is a big lump of alloy and the mini one is hard to get the hosses on but it can be done.

Its what I am aiming for.

will121

posted on 5/11/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
this is a novel way of fitting a supercharger in a tight spot

steveyb

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
i'm not fitting it to a locost. i would like to build on some time but when ive eveything else i'm building finished i'll prob start one.

i'm planning on building a drift/track/hillclimb car from an ae86 shell i have. it will be built as light as possible so space isnt that much of a problem. i should have more than enough room to get a supercharger squeezed in.

i have just fitted a 2.o silver top zetec to my sierra. just trying to get it wired up now with the help of Big_wasa.
i've been looking at exhaust manifolds for it but they're all very pricey apart from the ashley one but i've heard it doesnt fit very well and ive seen pics of it and the pipes dont line up with the flange plate very well. so i have drawn one up on a 3d model and i'm gonna start to make it at the week end.

steveyb

posted on 5/11/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Have a look at THIS vid for a few diy ideas.

The eaton is a big lump of alloy and the mini one is hard to get the hosses on but it can be done.

Its what I am aiming for.

what kind of power would the mini one produce on a standard blacktop zetec?
and a blacktop zetec with a set of cams and mild head work?

i have heard that the stock internals can take up to 400bhp dont know if thats true or not.
so could you just get a set of low comp pistons and keep the con rods and all standard an run a supercharger with a set of cams and bit of headwork?

also what kind of injection do you use with a supercharger? can you use the likes of r1 or gsxr throttlebodies?

BenB

posted on 5/11/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is, the question you're asking is a bit like "how much power does a 2L engine produce".

If you supercharge a Zetec you could actually reduce the power output or (if done correctly with a huge intercooler and major attempts to control detonation) you could make big BHP.

The cost is inversely proportional to the time involved. I'm blowing my ST1100. For the time involved I'd be better getting a paper round and buying a more powerful engine to begin with but where's the fun in that?

If you buy a ready-built system yes it will work, yes it will increase power but if you want more power get a duratec The fun's in the roll-your-own!!

steveyb

posted on 6/11/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
my 1st plan was to go with the honda s2000 running gear but i moved away from that idea and thought about going duratec. so i looked into it and was reading what flak monkey was doing. but i thought then why not go with a 2l blacktop zetec as the exhaust is on the correct side it bolts straight to a type 9 or mt75 gear box and there easy got at little money. but i still have the duratec in my mind as i can make an exhaust to suit if i had to and just buy a bell housing to suit t9, mt75 or even a t5.

the thing is i'd be happy with around 200bhp to stat off with and then maybe next winter bring it up some more. i had thought about super chargeing to give more torque with no lag down low or up at high revs.

[Edited on 6/11/09 by steveyb]

flak monkey

posted on 6/11/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Std duratec will give 180-200bhp in standard form on throttle bodies.

As others have said, you can make big power with a supercharger. The theory works the same on all engines. Every bar of boost effectively doubls your volumetric efficiency (though not quite as there are always losses and heating to overcome)

The zetecs smaller ports actually would work better in some respects with a supercharger as there will be less lag. If you look at what Kev is getting from his zetec turbo, similar power will be achievable with a supercharger but the driving experience will be very different with much better low down torque and smoother power delivery from the supercharger.

Just my 2p worth anyway.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

steveyb

posted on 6/11/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Std duratec will give 180-200bhp in standard form on throttle bodies.

this was the main reason i was thinking of going for the duratec. what would it be like for torque in its standard form with the likes of a set of gsxr 1000 throttlebodies and a good exhaust system. i would be considering supercharging it further down the line too.

steveyb

posted on 9/11/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/S-S-Decompression-Plates-Zetec-1-8-2-0-TURBO_W0QQitemZ140358074873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item 20adfe41f9

seen these plates on ebay has any one ever used them to do a supercharged black top zetec engine? will this plate fit the silvertop zetec too? are they avaliable for the duratec engine too?

flak monkey

posted on 9/11/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you are thinking of using a rotrex (centrifugal) you can run std compression ratios no problem.

If rootes/gm (positive displacement) then lowering it a point would help avoid detonation.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.