Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water Pump... Mechanical or Electrical?
scootz

posted on 6/11/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Water Pump... Mechanical or Electrical?

Can't use the OEM one on the RS4 engine, but there are spare drive pulley's I can use, or I can go electric... any one 'better' than the other?

It's Evolution Baby!

repper

posted on 6/11/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
ive looked in to that my self as a comon fault with the rover V8 that iam going to put in is that there run hot
iam thinking the electrical pump my be the way to go as rigged to some type off turbo timer it could be set to run on after the engine has been turned off alowing water to keep going round the engine un till it had cooled down preventing any heat sincking your damge

austin man

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
if you fit an electrical pump couldn't it alsa be wired through the thermostat like radiator fans on newer cars. You often hear these running on after stopping

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

scootz

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Good point(s)... well made!

Cheers!

It's Evolution Baby!

daKlone

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought an electric pump is less efficient than a mechanical one (mechanical -> electrical -> mechanical vs mechanical -> mechanical).

Also you'd need to think about failure modes - what happens if the pump fails? If the battery is low etc. Also think carefully about anything that runs on after the engine is switched off, as not only can it drain the battery there is also safety to take into account.

Sounds like a cool idea though!

dK

Winter is coming...

40inches

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of forum chat about leccy pumps HERE. The IMOC one is interesting, seems that mounting position and angle is critical
02GF74

posted on 7/11/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daKlone
I'd have thought an electric pump is less efficient than a mechanical one (mechanical -> electrical -> mechanical vs mechanical -> mechanical).

Also you'd need to think about failure modes - what happens if the pump fails? If the battery is low etc. Also think carefully about anything that runs on after the engine is switched off, as not only can it drain the battery there is also safety to take into account.

all good point but bear in mind an electrical pump with controller would run as needed as opposed to be running all the time so may use up less power.

regarding failure, you would need so means of monitoring the motor as well as temperature and have some indicator or engine cut off device.

ping Razman - he had one fitted and I think had good experiences with it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.