Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CV Boots - cable ties
EasyJimbo

posted on 8/11/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
CV Boots - cable ties

As per title, are cable ties legal for keeping CV boots in their place on the drive shafts?
thanks
James

be gentle I am new to all this :-)
blog: http://mkjimbo-mkindybuild.blogspot.com/

russbost

posted on 8/11/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
fesycresy

posted on 8/11/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would have said no ?

Edit to add: Or more to the point bad practice, I've had an MOT inspector pull me up on it.

[Edited on 8/11/09 by fesycresy]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

mackei23b

posted on 8/11/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
passed my SVA with them.
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 8/11/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
And both the cars i've built passed sva too with no comments from the testers

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

BenB

posted on 8/11/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. Passed plenty of MOTs with them. Never can get the little metal rings to work properly....
adithorp

posted on 8/11/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes... but there are better clips available. For MOT they just have to be secure.

Many replacement boots are supplied with just nylon zip-ties. They'll work ok on rubber boots, but not on the plastic ones that are now being used by some manufactuers (Renault, GM, etc). For those we've found jubilee clips are the only thing that will secure them once the original clip has broken.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

StevenB

posted on 8/11/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
in my experience cable ties are not up to
the job.

Me and the local garage had a falling out over
their use.

s

dhutch

posted on 8/11/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, they will got through an MOT, and garages do use them for the job. However while it doesnt no work, ive never liked it. Expensive mistake if it fails and goes unnoticed.

Daniel

whitestu

posted on 8/11/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
You really need the type with a metal insert [rather than plastic] to lock the cable tie as they are much stronger.

Stu

hillbillyracer

posted on 8/11/09 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a set of universal fit boots in a kit that I was pretty sceptical of but have tuned out to be excellent. They use a stainless steel strip that you tighten with a tool that pulls them tight with a winch effect & gets them properly tight. I'm sure you must be able to buy the strips somewhere on they're own.
Cable ties do work fine on some boots but are useless on others, as said the plastic type of boot which is now common-place.

britishtrident

posted on 9/11/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Cable ties are fine but the have to be fitted properly --- clean the areas where the where the rubber and metal contact and don't use cable ties that are too wide.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 9/11/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Good quality cable ties are incredibly reliable and shouldnt be fround at as an efficient fastner for any semi permant use. With CV boots alot relys on the boot and CV having a lip/rib to allow the fastner to 'lock' them together. I had a CV boot a while back that didnt have a rib so the only choice was a jubille clip. However these have a problem in themselves, the large metal screw causes an imbalance, which is not ideal. A possible solution is to use 2 clips and have each screw at 180 degrees of each other. My Dad even does that with cable ties to keep them balanced!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.