Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FREE FUEL TO COLLECTOR
MakeEverything

posted on 10/11/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
FREE FUEL TO COLLECTOR

Hi,
Ive got 25 gallons of oil and petrol (Mixed) that i need shot of. Anyone need it? If i cant get rid of it, ill have to take it to the tip in smaller cans!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

DRC INDY 7

posted on 10/11/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Pity you are too far away would have kept my lawn mower going for 50 years

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

speedyxjs

posted on 10/11/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
Pity you are too far away would have kept my lawn mower going for 50 years

Or my Jag for 50 metres

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Peteff

posted on 10/11/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ask at garages, our local uses their waste oil and any contaminated petrol or diesel in their oil burner, everything goes in it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/11/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Huge fine if you get caught with it , get rid ASAP. IIRC the maximum you can store in anything else other than underground tanks is 2 gallons
hillbillyracer

posted on 10/11/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Ask at garages, our local uses their waste oil and any contaminated petrol or diesel in their oil burner, everything goes in it.

Yes we'd take it for that, it's a bit far off though. Best to keep the percentage of fuel low comared to the waste oil though, you dont need to add all that much to make the barrel on the burner glow red!

We've probably got some just come in, diesel pickup sitting there to be looked at tomorrow, went fine on a long journey & then refueled to come home but it's run badly since shortly after leaving the filling station!

SeaBass

posted on 10/11/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oh crap - sometimes I drive round in my tintop with 18 gallons in a funny thin walled tank under the car.

JC

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Huge fine if you get caught with it , get rid ASAP. IIRC the maximum you can store in anything else other than underground tanks is 2 gallons

prawnabie

posted on 10/11/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Oh crap - sometimes I drive round in my tintop with 18 gallons in a funny thin walled tank under the car.

JC

Not many use there car for storing fuel for long periods though - apart from mikeR

owelly

posted on 10/11/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
And the 1928 Petroleum Regs states you must only store petrol in a metal, screw-topped vessel of no more than 2 gallons, red coloured and clearly marked 'Petroleum Product-Flammable'.
So that's all plastic cans out, and also gerry cans............

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 10/11/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I know the regs, but this is contaminated oil, not petrol.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

02GF74

posted on 10/11/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
what ratio is the oil/petrol?

you reckon a series land rover could drive on that?

I can post on LR forum for ya.

U2U me.

MikeR

posted on 11/11/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass

JC

Not many use there car for storing fuel for long periods though - apart from mikeR

Oi - i saw that comment

02GF74

posted on 11/11/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Do you want me to post this on Land Rover forum?

Those peeps are tighter than a superglue ducks bottom and will try to run their land rovers on chip fat, soap and ground lice and I am pretty sure I read the series 2 1/4 engine will run on low gade fuel, even paraffin.

55ant

posted on 11/11/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
hey mate, just an idea, what about the golf course in stevenage/aston , they use petrol 2 stroke golf buggies, they may take it of your hands, may even give you a $ or 2 for it?

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

MakeEverything

posted on 11/11/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nice idea, ill give them a buzz. Thanks.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

norfolkluego

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Soooo
Everyone with a petrol mower is illegal because they'll use a plastic can
Everyone on their way to a track day is illegal because they'll have three or four jerry cans.
Ditto most racer, sprinters and hillclimbers.
On your way to rescue a freind who's run out, straight to jail with your plastic can.
Most motor factors, jail, for 'dealing' jerry cans.
Phew, anybody left free(apart from the terrorists, rapists and murderers who don't drive)

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
And the 1928 Petroleum Regs states you must only store petrol in a metal, screw-topped vessel of no more than 2 gallons, red coloured and clearly marked 'Petroleum Product-Flammable'.

R1minimagic

posted on 12/11/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't put that in any internal combustion engine, it will be full of zinc and your injectors will be blocked up in next to no time, only fit for a boiler really and even then it will get crudded up.
wilkingj

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

This was revised about 20 years ago when plastic fuel cans came on the market.
We had the Local Petroleum Officer from Trading Stds come to our landrover club. it was interesting!.
His personal opinion was, he would rather see us using Jerry Cans (illegal as they hold more than 10 litres, and no non sparking, screw cap) than use a plastic can.
You are allowed 1 x 2 gallon Metal cans or 1 x 1 gallon plastic cans MAX, in the boot of your car (not the passenger compartment)
The cans MUSt be marked with the approved markings and be of the correct type ie designed and approved for fuel carriage.
As said above, anything else is illegal backed by BIG Fines. Whats more just downrigh dangerous to all the people in the vehicle.

On the Jerry Can front, the MoD released 2 MILLION jerry cans on the secondhand market about 10 years ago. You could buy 5 for a tenner. They got rid of them as they didnt have a split pin to stop the lid from being easily opened if it caught on something.
The MoD use jerry cans as they have "Crown Immunity" and are not subject to some civillian laws.
However they still got shot of 2Million cans on safety grounds, and replaced them with ones with locking pins on the lids.

Many years ago at a Land Rover event at Billing Aquadrome northants, a guy was burned to death when he opened a Jerry can. It had been a hot day, and the can was slightly pressurised. There was a light breeze. he opened the can, and the spurt of vapour travelled some 20 metres to a BBQ and then back flashed to him and the can. The Guy died as a result. So large quantities of petrol should always be handled with the utmost caution.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 13/11/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

On the Jerry Can front, the MoD released 2 MILLION jerry cans on the secondhand market about 10 years ago. You could buy 5 for a tenner. They got rid of them as they didnt have a split pin to stop the lid from being easily opened if it caught on something.

I have a few of these - pretty sure they they have a hole that I tought could be use for a padlock - it would have taken a rocket scientist to fit an R-clip to them.

interesting story of the billing burning, not heard of that one.

R1minimagic

posted on 13/11/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Why are people so concerned about how much of this you can store when it is just going to wreck your engine??!!

It is only really fit for industrial use e.g. in a furnace and in that case there are no limits on how many 200 litre drums you store as long as it is kept outside. Inside a building you can still store up to about 2000 litres...

MakeEverything

posted on 13/11/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1minimagic
Why are people so concerned about how much of this you can store when it is just going to wreck your engine??!!

It is only really fit for industrial use e.g. in a furnace and in that case there are no limits on how many 200 litre drums you store as long as it is kept outside. Inside a building you can still store up to about 2000 litres...

The only reason iom concerned about storing it is because i want to get rid of it and its taking up space!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

R1minimagic

posted on 13/11/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you just leave it outside somewhere safe with the lid off and it will evaporate!!

Then you will just be left with the oil (and maybe some rain water at the bottom)!

MakeEverything

posted on 13/11/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1minimagic
Why dont you just leave it outside somewhere safe with the lid off and it will evaporate!!

Then you will just be left with the oil (and maybe some rain water at the bottom)!

Im so pleased you contributed, and enlightened us with your genius words of advice......

Why dont you try it at home, and tell me whats left at the bottom after the rain. Ill let the environment agency know in advance, as im sure they will be keen to see the results for themselves!

[Edited on 13/11/09 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

R1minimagic

posted on 13/11/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to be of assistance

If we knew what it was we were doing it wouldn't be called research would it!

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/11/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
"I went down, down, down and the flames, they rose higher"

Now retiring to a safe distance.......

[Edited on 14/11/09 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.