Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TomTom for iPhone
mcBontempi

posted on 12/11/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom for iPhone

I currently am on a contract working for TomTom doing their iPhone port.
Has anyone bought it? I wouldnt mind some honest feedback from anyone who has.
Its been slated in some places and praised in others, it would be useful to know from the technically minded folk that you all are.

Cheers.

prawnabie

posted on 12/11/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think the limitaions of the iphone let it down - like it getting buggered when you answer a call.
mcBontempi

posted on 12/11/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
yeah thats true, did you know you can return to tomtom straight away though? by starting the app from the springboard. it is annoying how it whisks you away though.
Davey D

posted on 12/11/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
After seeing the price of it on Itunes, there is NO way i will be buying it

I use xGPS on my Jailbroke iphone which has been around since before apple lifted the crazy limitation of no navigation software for the iphone. i just download the maps on the fly while im in that area. It isnt the best satnav app by a long way, but it is free

Tim 45

posted on 12/11/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well, i've been using it for some time now and have several thoughts.

Firstly, as suggested the call/text buggering issue. But that is the iphone rather than tomtom itself

Secondly the postcode search i've found to be flaky, not at the standard of the standalones.

Thirdly, it'd be nice that when using the tomtom car holder, the call can be sent through the 3.5mm jack and through to the car speakers, rather than limited to the tiny speaker on the dock.

Fourthly, get some sort of live features on there, lets start with traffic and go from there. The iphone is a very internet capable device and should be used accordingly - I remember a while back the tomtom's used a connected phone to update on the activity of mobile speed cameras, alerting other users to an active/inactive mobile camera. It's not beyond the edge of reason to extend some of the features across.

Fifthly. Assisted Lane Guidance. I mean come on. It's embedded in the map data. It's featured on nearly every other tomtom. It's featured on other sat nav for iphone apps!

Sixthly, not sure how implementable, but ipod control within the app. Its a pain in the arse to change albums or whatever. They make a big thing of " a million songs..." well its a bit hard to change it when driving alone

Other than that, all good so far!!

EDIT - Scrap most of those, apparantly an update is coming imminently rectifying most of them!

[Edited on 12/11/09 by Tim 45]

prawnabie

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I like the tom tom standalone, but i have to say that copilot live has won it for me on the iphone - there are som many features that tom tom just doesn't have at the moment!
Agriv8

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
tom tom running fine on my last 2 HTC's the durrent one has built in GPS receiver.

Looking for HTC no 3 at the mo hopping a few owners are upgrading over Xmas freeing the last generation up.

Only prob with the HTC is the Microshaft OS but iot aint that bad.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

flak monkey

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
tom tom running fine on my last 2 HTC's the durrent one has built in GPS receiver.

Looking for HTC no 3 at the mo hopping a few owners are upgrading over Xmas freeing the last generation up.

Only prob with the HTC is the Microshaft OS but iot aint that bad.

regards

Agriv8

Kind of irrelevant as its for the iPhone but there we go.

I run it on my HTC too under windows. Pretty good other than the postcode search doesnt work for some reason, only recognises the first part of the code. Used to work, now its broken

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I personally run co-pilot, it was annoyingly rubbish, obviously rushed out to beat tomtom, but the updates have improved it 100%.

I think ipod controls in satnav would be great, as would the ability to get an address from google maps and drop it straight into the app without having to save it as a contact or copy the postcode. Lots of place I go dont have postcodes (large hotels/football grounds etc.) complete and its a bugger to have to write the whole address in.

Maybe the tomtom app does that, I dont know - but thats an iphone users experience of sat nav.

MikeFellows

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
all GPS stuff is pretty much buggered now google has announced they are going to be offering it free on google maps.

I agree with the previous comments, the limitations of the iphone make it a problem especially for £50 (was £70 i think), i tried them all and they all had the same issues.

my favourite was navigon

Agriv8

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I personally run co-pilot, it was annoyingly rubbish, obviously rushed out to beat tomtom, but the updates have improved it 100%.

I think ipod controls in satnav would be great, as would the ability to get an address from google maps and drop it straight into the app without having to save it as a contact or copy the postcode. Lots of place I go dont have postcodes (large hotels/football grounds etc.) complete and its a bugger to have to write the whole address in.

Maybe the tomtom app does that, I dont know - but thats an iphone users experience of sat nav.

true went a bit off topic there 'in my head It ment to say have a look at how it works on the competiotion' .

Re your postcodes sound like you have moved ( or deleted ) your zip dir it needs to be at the route of your memory next to where the maps are.

so if on your sd Card

Sd card
|---> Zip
| '---> Great_Britain ( 8.87mb )
|
| --->Westurn and Central .....
| '--- Maps .......

If that doesnt make sense let me know or if you have deleted them I can send you a copy. but basically because it cant find the full (8.87 mb one ) it defaults to the small ( first half ) ver it has stashed somwhere else IIRC

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 12/11/09 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 12/11/09 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mcBontempi

posted on 13/11/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
yeah we are just putting the finishing touches to 1.2, although ill pass the question about the headphone jack onto the hardware guys, and the postcode one too.
the lane guidence works really well i think you will like it.
we have had a few probs with the ipod controls but, it does work for the most part!
hd traffic should be here soon and google search too.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim 45
Well, i've been using it for some time now and have several thoughts.

Firstly, as suggested the call/text buggering issue. But that is the iphone rather than tomtom itself

Secondly the postcode search i've found to be flaky, not at the standard of the standalones.

Thirdly, it'd be nice that when using the tomtom car holder, the call can be sent through the 3.5mm jack and through to the car speakers, rather than limited to the tiny speaker on the dock.

Fourthly, get some sort of live features on there, lets start with traffic and go from there. The iphone is a very internet capable device and should be used accordingly - I remember a while back the tomtom's used a connected phone to update on the activity of mobile speed cameras, alerting other users to an active/inactive mobile camera. It's not beyond the edge of reason to extend some of the features across.

Fifthly. Assisted Lane Guidance. I mean come on. It's embedded in the map data. It's featured on nearly every other tomtom. It's featured on other sat nav for iphone apps!

Sixthly, not sure how implementable, but ipod control within the app. Its a pain in the arse to change albums or whatever. They make a big thing of " a million songs..." well its a bit hard to change it when driving alone

Other than that, all good so far!!

EDIT - Scrap most of those, apparantly an update is coming imminently rectifying most of them!

[Edited on 12/11/09 by Tim 45]

Findlay234

posted on 13/11/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I really like the way sygic works, have tried copilot and tomtom on mates phones and much prefer sygic to them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.