Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Use a scale on a drawing to make an accurate cad file
m8kwr

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Use a scale on a drawing to make an accurate cad file

I have got an image file, with a scale on it, but i am trying to use something to put into solidworks so i can make the points on the drawing i want to use.

Has anybody done this before, and know what application i could potentially use.

Lotus chassis blueprint
Lotus chassis blueprint

londonsean69

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not too sure how solidworks wroks, but I have to do this with images in AutoCAD quite a bit.

I just reference the raster image in, then you can do what you like with it.

The only thing is, you cannot snap to actual points on a raster image, so you have to eye it in.

I would zoom right in on the scale bar, and using SCALE>REFERENCE, select the end points of the scale bar (0ft and 6ft) the type in a new distance of 1830mm.

That is assuming you want it in metric.

Sean

[Edited on 15/11/09 by londonsean69]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible to do a raster to CAD conversion. I used to do it as a job about about 7/8 years ago.

It might have been the software we were using but to get workable results it was usually quicker to redraw.

I don't know if we still have the software at work I will check.

It would be easiest to import your raster file, scale it, trace it in a line drawing and start from there
unless the software side of things has skipped on in the last 8 years of course.

Also be aware that the scan may not be super accurate in terms of scale.

Hope that helps

[Edited on 15/11/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

londonsean69

posted on 15/11/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
It is possible to do a raster to CAD conversion. I used to do it as a job about about 7/8 years ago.

It might have been the software we were using but to get workable results it was usually quicker to redraw.

I don't know if we still have the software at work I will check.

It would be easiest to import your raster file, scale it, trace it in a line drawing and start from there
unless the software side of things has skipped on in the last 8 years of course.

Also be aware that the scan may not be super accurate in terms of scale.

Hope that helps

[Edited on 15/11/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

That's why I didn't mention R2V (Raster to Vector) conversion. I have never found them to be much help.

All I tend to so is import, scale/align as best as possible, then draw over the top.

It's all I have been doing at work this week come to think of it.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/11/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
^^^what he said

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

richmars

posted on 15/11/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
What you can do in Solidworks is import a jpg file onto a sketch plane. What you do then is scale it so it's 1:1 in Solidworks.
You then use the jpg as a template to create your solid model by, for example, putting spline points on the curves of the body.

m8kwr

posted on 15/11/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
my solidworks will not let me import a jpeg file..... only tiff, but then when i convert the jpeg to tiff, it still will not let me... arrhhhh
BenB

posted on 15/11/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
No idea how you can but I can understand why you'ld want to
designer

posted on 15/11/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can import and draw over the image.

Or, you can download image to cad software free (think it's called image to cad), which converts it to a DWG file and off you go.

The programme does seem to get confused with very detailed drawings, but it can be done. I have done a few, and even the most scrammbled drawing can be used as a start.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 15/11/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised that there is a better drawing than that somewhere. Will look.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m8kwr

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
just found a free app called wintopo, thats converts images into dxf files, very impressed.

done what i wanted, but i just now need to adjusts the size of the imported file to scale

designer

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here's one

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/cars/lotus/lotus-ford-49.gif

designer

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Here's another

http://www.automotive-art.com/product_pop_up.asp?id=TC0009

designer

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Found the best one

http://www.classicteamlotus.co.uk/_Attachments/Gallery/Shared/49-GAL.jpg

Chippy

posted on 15/11/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Last link doesn't work, well at least for me, :-( Cheers Ray

Now it does??

[Edited on 16-11-09 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

londonsean69

posted on 15/11/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
just found a free app called wintopo, thats converts images into dxf files, very impressed.

done what i wanted, but i just now need to adjusts the size of the imported file to scale

Now, having never used SW I might be on totally the wrong track with this.

But...

Surely if you can work out how to import a file, that started out in a non-native format, then you should be able to work out fairly easily how to scale something??

designer

posted on 16/11/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
It's a bit 'hit & miss', but you use the scale option untill the image matches the drawings chosen scale.
wescottishmatt

posted on 16/11/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how you're trying to import a picture in to solidworks but do it through 'Tools, sketch tools, sketch picture' That way you should be able to import a JPG. Just make sure you're in an active sketch first. I've just tried it and its imported straight in. U2U me if you want me to e-mail the file to you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.