Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Mini Progress
donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
My Mini Progress

Just in case anyone likes Mini's i thought i would pop some progress up here.

I have not done much due to work and family but i am currently without work as my office moved to Guildford and there's no work for me at present

So i went out into the garage today and undersealed the Mini with this brilliant rubbery underseal. Normal underseal can crack then hold water which leads to rust but this stuff is rubbery and won't crack!

Here's a pic of the car before it came home:
Rosie welded 01
Rosie welded 01

In my garage:
Rosie comes home 02
Rosie comes home 02

Underneath looking good. A wire brush and some paint and she will look spanking!
Rosie comes home 03
Rosie comes home 03

From the back.
Rosie comes home 04
Rosie comes home 04

Undersealed: The shell looks twisted but it's not.
Underseal02
Underseal02

Underseal03
Underseal03

Underseal01
Underseal01

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 19/11/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ooooh, nice job!

What underseal are you using?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

imp paul

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
looking good mate i also have a dead mini lol it has a nice engine which i built lots of years ago its a 1293 turbo challenge motor with a new sc box runs 193bhp at 24 psi boost 210 pound of torque but the shell has been in bits for years o well 1 day lol keep up the hard work
donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Ooooh, nice job!

What underseal are you using?

The stuff is called Tetra Schutz from Tetrosyl. £4.24 inc vat from Machine Mart. i was told this is the stuff to use unless i wanna spend £££'s on Wurth stuff!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
looking good mate i also have a dead mini lol it has a nice engine which i built lots of years ago its a 1293 turbo challenge motor with a new sc box runs 193bhp at 24 psi boost 210 pound of torque but the shell has been in bits for years o well 1 day lol keep up the hard work

Mine is going to be a spleen shattering......998 auto

Keeping it all orig except for a cream roof, 4.5 minilites with 165 yoko tyres, front 4 pot disc brakes and a loud exhaust!! The color will remain that bile orange color

Andy

imp paul

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
here is mine its not so well 1 day

[Edited on 19/11/09 by imp paul]

donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
oooh that doesn't look too well!!

Andy

imp paul

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
haha i have had it years imp first mini hmm some time lol

tomprescott

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
The tetraschultz stuff is pretty good, if you think that wurth is expensive take a look in a frosts guide - it'll make you cry!
02GF74

posted on 19/11/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
marvellous ... but why the auto?

oh, and you should sort out the wonky shelf. you know that once you have sprayed the mini and have it spankingly great, that shelf if gonna spill its contents onto it.

Jimbob

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Lookin good
Im on with a micra engine conversion for mine, 1275, 16v, 5speed, all ally, EFI and cheap

donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
marvellous ... but why the auto?

Thanks!

Why an auto... well that's what it was built with plus i love auto's and it will be rare. Not only will the car be rare (it's a Mk3) but being an auto Mk3 will be rarer still. It probably won't be worth as much as a manual equivalent but that's not why i'm building the car. Money has no bearing on this project. The orig engine g/box have done 35,000 miles so still new-ish!

Also Auto's are getting collectible now.

Andy

r1_manx

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Great to see some other mini fans on here, good luck with the project. I am going to definitely underseal my mini, rust is the devil's dandruff and mini's succumb to it at a rate of knots! I am 2 years into a fwd bike engined build...Yamaha R1 motor in a 1990 cooper shell, hope to have her singing by next summer all being well.

www.flickr.com/r1manx

Cheers

Ben

If im not in action, im in traction!

MikeRJ

posted on 19/11/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut

Why an auto... well that's what it was built with plus i love auto's and it will be rare.

You may love autos in cars with decenty sized engines, but have you driven an auto mini with a 998 engine? They go up and down the box like an...err..uppy/downy thing.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/11/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Why an auto... well that's what it was built with plus i love auto's and it will be rare.

You may love autos in cars with decenty sized engines, but have you driven an auto mini with a 998 engine? They go up and down the box like an...err..uppy/downy thing.

Ditto, I’ve had lots of automatics and ones with engines too small are rather tiresome from constant changes as few cars are smooth doing so. One of the best was a 2ltr cavalier auto, the bluebirds marginal if not underpowered and changes too much, it would have been better as a 2ltr

I’ve had a shot of a 1300 mini and it was quite fun, seemed an ideal engine for it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i have driven a few 998 auto's and yes they are pants performance wise but i'm not building it for performance. It's going back stock....ish. i will put a better carb on it and inlet/outlet manifolds and exhaust but that's it.

I'm a sad old git you know!!

Andy

donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_manx
Great to see some other mini fans on here, good luck with the project. I am going to definitely underseal my mini, rust is the devil's dandruff and mini's succumb to it at a rate of knots! I am 2 years into a fwd bike engined build...Yamaha R1 motor in a 1990 cooper shell, hope to have her singing by next summer all being well.

www.flickr.com/r1manx

Cheers

Ben
Brilliant pics on your Flickr! I take my hat off to you, that's some superb engineering you have done.

Andy

Jimbob

posted on 19/11/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes i have driven a few 998 auto's and yes they are pants performance wise but i'm not building it for performance. It's going back stock....ish. i will put a better carb on it and inlet/outlet manifolds and exhaust but that's it.

I'm a sad old git you know!!

Mines currently a 998 auto with a stage one kit fitted and the LCB manifold gets in the way of the kickdown link rod between the carb and box. Did as much tweaking as i could and it would not fit
Its really annoying loosing it TBH so it may save you a headache making one whilst the engines out

clanger

posted on 19/11/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Some nice Mini projects going on.

Here's mine looking a bit sorry for itself

donut

posted on 19/11/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mines currently a 998 auto with a stage one kit fitted and the LCB manifold gets in the way of the kickdown link rod between the carb and box. Did as much tweaking as i could and it would not fit Its really annoying loosing it TBH so it may save you a headache making one whilst the engines out

My mate has a work round for that problem!!

Andy

donut

posted on 20/11/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Bottom is now painted the original Bracken color and in Rustolium using a compressor and spray gun. I have never sprayed before and this was a good opportunity to have a go and it went quite well.

1st coat. Using flash on the camera. This is the proper color as seen by the naked eye.

Wheel well:

2nd coat with no flash on camera.

Another angle

Andy

NS Dev

posted on 20/11/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
looks good! NIce work!

Here's another mini project, ours this one!

lots more piccies on our website here: Mini Clubby Estate Project

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

donut

posted on 21/11/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
WOW! That is sweeeeet!

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.