Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Rivet Gun Advice
Tris

posted on 20/11/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Air Rivet Gun Advice

Morning all,

I am currently in 'the market' for an Air powered Rivet gun. Has anyone had experience of the cheap ebay items (about £28 all in) that are about, similar to this one ?

Ebay

OR, having been burnt by buying cheap tools before only to find them snapping in two on their first use,
am i better spending double that at machine mart and getting a clarke gun ?

Machine Mart

I suppose its not going to get an 'professional' amount of use, but i obviously want to get a tool that would last and to be reliable. Any advise or suggestions ?

Cheers
Tris

[Edited on 20/11/09 by Tris]

Flamez

posted on 20/11/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Why not hire one?

my build mac1motorsports

madrallysport

posted on 20/11/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Morning all,

I am currently in 'the market' for an Air powered Rivet gun. Has anyone had experience of the cheap ebay items (about £28 all in) that are about, similar to this one ?

Ebay

OR, having been burnt by buying cheap tools before only to find them snapping in two on their first use,
am i better spending double that at machine mart and getting a clarke gun ?

Machine Mart

I suppose its not going to get an 'professional' amount of use, but i obviously want to get a tool that would last and to be reliable. Any advise or suggestions ?

Cheers
Tris

[Edited on 20/11/09 by Tris]

I bought the cheapy one from ebay and it broke after about 30rivets, the trigger folded on it, re made a locost type trigger only for internals to give up, all it did was leak air it would grip the rivet to pull it up. At least with the machine mart one you should have a bit of come back if it breaks.

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

carlknight1982

posted on 20/11/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a clarke one that i used to use when i worked as a commercial body builder and have used on my car, very good, works well and doesnt cost the earth. works on a relitivly small air usage too so if you only have a small compressor it wont kick the guts out of it.

the only thing i have ever found it to struggle with is monobolts which in all fairness it wasnt designed for.

I'm in Thruleigh not far from bedford if you want to come and try it before you go and buy one. drop me a PM

[Edited on 20/11/09 by carlknight1982]

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

omega0684

posted on 20/11/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
i bought the ebay one, cost about £25 all in, hasn't let me down yet after 3 year!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 20/11/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience, the cheapy ebay ones are fine for pulling aluminium rivets. I used lots of stainless rivets on my Robin Hood and the cheapy ebay riveter handle casting fractured after just a few rivets emptying out all the hydrauilic oil :-(

In fairness i think it just said aluminium rivets only on the box.....

[Edited on 20/11/09 by scotlad]

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

iank

posted on 20/11/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I got lazy tong rivetter which was fine for the 4.8mm ones on the floor (3.2's can be pulled with an ordinary hand held one), only need an air one if you're doing loads IMO (either lots of cars, a procomp car or an aluminium monocoque)

If in the market for one I'd spend my money on something with a guarantee you could rely on. Clarke stuff varies in quality quite widely (and some stuff gets better/worse over the years depending where they source it from) so I'd want to go in and inspect it before buying.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Bluemoon

posted on 20/11/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
^^ My view to.. I have a hand one recommend by primary fasteners, works really well, you do end up with sore hands at the end, but it's not so bad, this was after sealing most the panels at once in a day, and 4.2mm multi-grip rivets at 30mm spacing..

Dan

[Edited on 20/11/09 by Bluemoon]

jacko

posted on 20/11/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The ebay one looks like a machine mart one without the badge
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.