Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which lotus elise?
daniel mason

posted on 21/11/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
which lotus elise?

i have been on the lookout for a new car for a while now and until the other day,an elise had never crossed my mind! that was until my mate bought a mint 111s, with hard top. i do very little miles,(around 4k per year)and i could live with the fact they are noisy and somewhat uncomfortale. any long journeys i can do in my parents car. my question is,that for between 9 and 10 grand which is the best model to go for? an older s1 with a higher spec or would an s2 with perhaps lower spec and power be a better option. what are the potential drawbacks of an elise and what are common problems and things to look out for? cheers
spelling edited. think the only lout is me.lol

[Edited on 21/11/09 by daniel mason]

scootz

posted on 21/11/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've owned an S2 Elise and Exige and I would say without any doubt that the best car at the sub-£10k point would be a VX220!

Not trying to be funny... I'e had a VX220 as well and it was every bit as good as the Elise, but without the price-tag. A rarer sight on the roads too.

If it has to be a Lotus badged Lotus and not a Vauxhall badged Lotus, then the S2 for me every time if you can get one at the right money.

It's Evolution Baby!

A1

posted on 21/11/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
whats this louts elise? lol!
i was looking at them before i got the mk, i think the s1 is meant to be better, ie more hardcore...

paul the 6th

posted on 21/11/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate,

I bought this: http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=48303&langId=-1 />
and having read it, a vx220 seems like a good buy if budget is an issue. After the s1, Lotus wanted to increase production but were unable to meet the funding required for mass production type approval/safety requirements, so GM agreed to invest so long as they could have input the design of, and access to the chassis (and many other components) in order to fit their own powertrain & bits to it.

The elise is regarded to be a real purists car. Where the vx220 is far from "an everyday car" it is said to be more civilised and a bit easier to get in/out of. hope some of this helps.

If not vx220, go for an s2 elise, they look nicer!

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 21/11/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
i do like the vx 220 also but its got the 2.2 motor which my current vectra sxi has. and altough its obviously a lot heavier than a vx,its far from rapid! a great motorway cruiser though but gear ratios seem a bit high. are they different on the vx?
also it seems lotus have focused the elise on driving and vauxhall have not! a prime example bieng the 17" rims on the front of the vx for "aesthetic" reasons when it sould have had 16" on the front like the elise. i would probably prefer the 2.0 turbo but fear its out of my price range.

chris taylor

posted on 21/11/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
V 220

Buy a VX mate, sold mine this summer but had it for 4 years, only money I spent on it was servicing, what a superb car, better engine/box/brakes etc than the Elise, personally I feel a better car all-round and far better value for your money,

Chris

scootz

posted on 21/11/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Difference in handling is negligible... Entry / egress is equally difficult in both... The n/a VX220 is more rapid than most of the K-Series Elise variants (which I suspect will be the only option in your budget range)... The only thing 'more civilized' about the VX220 is that it has an airbag (a good thing in my book).

For me, if you're not fussed about the styling, then it's a no brainer... virtually the same car but a hell of a difference in price, maintenance and insurance.

Buy one and you won't be dissapointed.

PS - The 'hardcore' legend of the S1 is really only something that S1 owners go on about. 'Hardcore' in old Lotus terms perhaps... iffy build quality! The S2 is a proper evolution of the breed and is better in every respect than the S1 (all IMHO of course! ).

It's Evolution Baby!

antonio

posted on 21/11/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
S1 sport 160
vx are not funny IMO

MikeRJ

posted on 21/11/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
S1 is the best looking car of them all IMO.
britishtrident

posted on 21/11/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Early S1 was drop dead gorgeous.

Buy on condition only ---- don't fence yourself into a particular model.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 21/11/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Early S1 was drop dead gorgeous.

Buy on condition only ---- don't fence yourself into a particular model.

An original bog standard 118bhp S1.

What a fantastic thing.

I had the pleasure once many years ago.
A truly great thing to drive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.