Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quickshifters -Push or Pull?
T66

posted on 22/11/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Quickshifters -Push or Pull?

When you read adverts for these things, ie linked to PC3 it generally states push or pull.

Am I correct in thinking with bikes this is pertinent, but not so a BEC where the solenoid can be positioned appropriately to operate the gearchange ?

Also if its "push" only does it only do for example upchanges ?

Ive been nightshift so go easy on me !

It doesnt make sense...

minitici

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of quickshiters are still manual shift but with electronic gizmos to allow clutchless full throttle upshifts.
Slightly more sophisticated ones include a throttle blipper for clutchless downshifts.

The 'push or pull' usually refers to the direction you need the gear change link rod to move to shift up.
There is a microswitch/ load cell built into the actuating rod to sense when to bring in the ignition cut - this can be for a push or a pull.
The systems with both up and down shifts sense in both directions.

Then there are actuated gear shift systems using stepper motors, solenoids or pneumatic shifter.....

[Edited on 22/11/09 by minitici]

hobbsy

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
If its one that does both then it doesn't matter which direction is an upshift or downshift - you can just switch the wires to suit.

If its one that only deals with upshifts then i guess it may be built to only sense compression or tension so you need the correct one to suit your setup.

T66

posted on 22/11/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ok , so like I said the type of shifter whether its push or pull is actually about which way its mounted relative to the gear shaft ?

So on a Blackbird gearbox I could use a quickshifter push or pull system, as long as I mounted it the correct way to work the gearbox both up & down.

Can the blipper be added at a later date ?

Im looking at used setups from other bikes to link into a PC3 to work on a Blackbird.

Whether this is locost or false economy I need to research further.

thanks

grazo

posted on 17/10/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Flatshifter do the system that enables clutchless up and down gearshifts also electric gearshift systems with paddles
graz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.