Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Signal Dynamics supplier
johncarman

posted on 23/11/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Signal Dynamics supplier

Hi,

I am looking at fitting one of the signal dynamics self canceling indicator modules (see here: http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/turn.asp ) as part of my winter upgrades. I know a couple of people on here have used them, I was just wondering where you got them from, direct from the US or another supplier ??

Thanks,

John

Mike S

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a brand new unused Westfield one available.

Complete with two position momentry rocker switch.

Cost me over £60 when I bought it, but yours for £35 if you want it.

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Haha! I've got myself one of those!

In my frustration of calling everyone listed on the signal dynamics website listed as a UK supplier, nothing could be done on short notice so I purchased one, as per Mike above, from Westfield.

Then, low and behold, one appeared on eBay and I snapped it up straight away. They do crop up once in a blue moon, but don't hold your breath.

There is a company in Wales, I believe, that can get hold of the signal dynamics modules though; I belive it's a motorcycle company, but can't remember their name.

*EDIT*
Could be the following;

The Trike Shop U.K.
Attention: Haydn Meredith
Appletree Cottage
The Avenue
Rumney
Cardiff UK CF3 3EG

Tel. 029 2036 9420
Tel. 029 2077 8955

e-mail: haydn@trikeshop.co.uk

Think it worked out about £85 all in, but orders go in on a monthly or quarterly basis. If you want it quicker, there's a postage surcharge. Have a look on the Westfield forum page, as they placed a bulk order sometime last year and got a group discount.

Else either use the Westfield switch, or maybe try a unit from a motorbike?

Hope this helps!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

johncarman

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies,

Mike, could you or somebody please tell me a bit more about how the westfield switch works ?? I am hoping to mount two buttons on the steering wheel, could it be adapted for this ?? Is it similar to the signal dynamics unit in that a press of the button starts the indicator and it self cancels after a set time, or can be stopped with a second press ?? Does it take care of hazards as well ??

Thanks,

John

Mike S

posted on 24/11/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Yes, no problem using your own buttons on the steering wheel with the Westfield unit. Momentary push starts which ever side you press.

I was going to do exactly the same as you until I decided to go for electric push button gear change on the steering wheel, so ended up using the bike indicator switch in the end. Hence why the unit is available.

The unit only needs a momentary contact closure so pretty much any momentary switches will do.

Of course, you will need one for each side (left / right) and the unit automatically self cancels after a period of time.

It does not do the hazards though, so you would just need a normal separate hazard relay as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/11/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
You may do something like this if you have the time and skills.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#monostable

Sorry,
Wrong link, but i have printed page at home, may scan later this week if you need it, it is basically the same, yo will need to build two timers, or four to have two different durations per side.

[Edited on 11/25/2009 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johncarman

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Self cancel indicators using 555 timer

Angel,

Thanks for posting that link, I have done some research and I think I understand how a 555 timer could be used, I found the circuit with the two timers, one being canceled when the other triggers.
I have a question, if you or anyone else could help, is it possible to vary the time depending on the length of the button press ?? Secondly, is there a way to incorporate a button for hazards which would flash both circuits until cancelled ??

Thanks,

John

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/11/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
John,
You`re welcome, by no means i´m an electronic whiz, but i´m quite sure what you nee has been done as the page I have at home had some more examples.
Somebody will come up with ideas shortly.
Regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.