Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your hobbies (outside of KC's) ???
Steve Hignett

posted on 28/11/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
What are your hobbies (outside of KC's) ???

Hi All,

I know we have a wide variety of people on here...

I just wondered what your hobbies are outside of kitcars!

In about 4 months time, I won't be building any KC's for a while, for me or anyone else, this is down to time, money, time and space. (as I've posted previously, my wife is due to give birth end of March) This will leave a bit of an empty hole in my life as I've built a variety of kit/single seaters etc in some form or other for the past 4 years.

Over the years I've enjoyed a variety of hobbies - I've had kites, and RC stuff (car and helicopter). I will have a good size shed and small-ish lean-to/shelter to myself (and hobby), but no real budget to speak of, and would rather more of a challenge than a thrill (I don't mean model railway detailing, but I also don't mean RC Helicopters) - Somewhere in the middle! Also happy for the suggestions to include physical stuff, however the first person to suggest going to the gym will be shot at dawn!

So, please give me as many suggestions as possible and if you can include some prices/budget that would be awesome!

Cheers,
Steve...

Miks15

posted on 28/11/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Get into a sport mabye? I play rugby 3 times a week and its great just to get away from everything else for 80 mins and just play. Plus a great way to keep fit. Im not necessarily suggeting rugby, but mabye some other sport?
locoboy

posted on 28/11/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im into photography Steve, Got my first DSLR for christmas lst year and the learning curve is very steep and there is a huge amount of information to be taken on board and you can practice inside in bad weather and in small bite sized chunks that will fit in with the arrival of the little one.

In addition to that what you will inevitably spend on the obligatory kids photo shoot and prints you can probably buy a decent second hand DSLR and do your own kid photos.

£600 tops will buy you a good secondhand DSLR set up, you can expand your kit as and when you have 'spare' money and it is a skill that will bring you great pleasure throughout the rest of your life.

[Edited on 28/11/09 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

welderman

posted on 28/11/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
i actually think you will still have some sort of motorsport hobby mate, so dont give up too soon, after being a dad twice now, things just go slower, but as they grow you find the time to keep the hobbies going. M will most probably want you out the way anyway so take the hint whaen she does and do as she says.

There is being a carbon fiber engineer for my toys though.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Simon

posted on 28/11/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to say sailing (but I've been out in my boat once in 14 months of ownership), swimming - was doing 7500 metres a week till I landed on a rock on my ribs on holiday in August and cycling - was doing 60 - 80 miles a week.

But due to injury, work commitments (very very busy!!) etc have done very little. Haven't even done any work on car since about May!

Still, hopefully that'll change wef tomorrow. Might try and go and do a lap or two of Bedgebury single track, then swim Tue. Need to do something.

ATB

Simon

NigeEss

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
My Land Rover 90 is the next money sapping hobby. Water skiing in the summer.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

trialsman

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 59 years young and I still ride competitive observed trials motorcycles. I hunt deer with a bow and arrow. I do fine woodworking (furniture, cabinets, jewelry boxes, etc) for a hobby and job. I kayak in the summer. Helping with Boy Scouts. And I enjoy annoying my 19 yr old daughter and 16 yr old son. Neither of them enjoy any of my interests. Russ
Benzine

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I like photography, guitars, cats, music \m/, comedy. Re: time & money after having a baby, I'll U2U some pro tips about being locost (don't want to hijack the thread!)

quote:
Originally posted by trialsman
I hunt deer with a bow and arrow

Nice. Illegal in this country though!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maartenromijn

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Motorcycling and:
Sailing! It proved to be an exceptional cool hobby. I own a 6m open sailing boat with 2 friends. Sometimes I use the boat with my family, and sometimes with my sailing mates (the real work!)

Last but not least: home improvement on a budget. We are saving up to build a new garage and a new house eventually.
How to keep your house from collapsing for 250 GBP

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

luke

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Scouting takes up my life! i run two units so im always busy with them and weekends away.

best thing ive ever done though, love it.

A1

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
i used to do downhilling but now its all about the car. when it gets too late at night to make noise i go to the pub...
also kinda learning guitar.

les g

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
mate please take time to enjoy the little one
the rest will come as you sort your new life out
give your missus loadsa help/luvin etc and then the car...will slide along nice and smooth
simples
cheers les g

will121

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
indoor climbing
skinned knuckles

posted on 28/11/09 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
i recommend fishing, sea fishing in particular, its something you can do for 1 hour at a time or a full day. the gear doesn't have to be expensive (ebay is full of it) and it is easy to learn. failing that, pick up a guitar and give it a strum.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Steve Hignett

posted on 29/11/09 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Miks - severe back injury/ongoing surgery/problems mean that Rugby would see me right off, although I still keep my shirts, shorts and gum sheild just in case one day I can start training again!

Col - I have a Nikon DLSR D50. It's not the best camera in the worl, but I have two lenses, a small tripod and a Manfroto Monopod, so it sees me right at Oulton and stuff!

Joe - not a bad idea, oh friend of mine... I may just try and do, small development stuff like exhausts/cages etc. I still need to finish that Carbon Fibre Airbox that I designed for BEC's!!!

Simon - Sailing does actually appeal to me quite a bit! My Dad did a bit when he was a mature student at Uni so he would probably love it too!

Nige - Last LR I worked on involved me cutting the BIGGEST hole out of the front bulkhead because the Janspeed exhaust for the V8 we'd just shoehorned in was a tight fit! (It was a 2A!!!)

Russ - Trials is something I've always admired immensely on TV and that kind of technical (low speed) past time could be suited to me (becoming a first time and new father!) ((I crashed at Oulton Park at about 120/130 on a track/race bike and it wasn't the best feeling in the world!!!))
Woodworking would be cool - I've made a couple of pieces that I was proud of (a Turned bowl in particular!)
I've just sold my Bow, so can't hunt deer, and as above, it's illegal

Benzine - awesome LocoBaby U2U!!!

Maarten - My home isn't really large enough for development, or rather, the plot isn't!!!

Luke - Scouting, and that sort of thing might take me away from new-born a tad too much!

A1 - the pub, or rather, DIY test-tasting of Russia's finest is already a healthy past-time!

Les - I should of said that I intend to squeeze this hobby around the little one. Milenah, my wife, is the most fantastic and patient peson on the planet (if a little schizo! Esp at the moment!!!) so I intend to make sure that she has nothing but 100% support from me, it's just that I like to be occupied in mind and body!!!

Will - Just made plans to go climbing again this morning! Haven't been for about a year, and hoping like hell my back will hold up to it!

Skinned - I live a bit of a hike away from the sea, and the thought of fishing in the local canals makes me feel absolutely dreary!

[Edited on 29/11/09 by Steve Hignett]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 29/11/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Weeeelll....
Firstly there's railways, and I don't necessarily mean modelling - heritage railways are always after help of any kind. But to be honest I tend to think to enjoy any of that field you have to have an interest in it to begin with. I'm currently scratch building some rolling stock for in 16mm scale atm, it provides a nice change of pace!
Computers are always good, and to be honest with you if you find a game you like it will absorb any and all time you have. Not so good for the social side of things unless you do what I do and go round a mates house with your comp for a weekend of gaming and booze.
Reenactment is a very fun hobby if you a can get into it, and leads into many different paths (in my case armouring and blacksmithing). I personally belong to a 14th century reenactment group and I have to say I have had a hell of a lot of fun with them over the last few years. Activities vary from group to group, but generally includes full contact combat.
I wouldn't give up on kit cars either, as people have said.
I've also done stuff such as warhammer, badminton, reading books (I count it as a hobby!) and story writing.
I would say as a final thing that if anything interests you, you can make a hobby out of it. Just give it a bash!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

phelpsa

posted on 29/11/09 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
I find playing music is a great way to escape for a few hours. I've played piano since I was really young and taught myself guitar and bass over the past few years. I get so into it i'll sit and play for 3 or 4 hours at a time, playing something until you get it perfect is so satisfying!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 29/11/09 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
i have read all of the posts and nobody mentions gaming! I have played 13 hours of cod mw2 since 10th of this month. Its a comfortable amount. I call it the time machine! Other than that running, rugby, rc cars and cycling. But more than any of them its pub with fiends or just friends! My friends are in to bike track days so i go and support them sometimes. Its amazing what people get up to. I love sailing and boating but never get time. I am fully qualified but have on facilities to hand.hand.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 29/11/09 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
ok I have re read. Nobody else has posted but me, its clearer on a lap top. The guy about three posts up from this mentions gaming. At 2:40 I am just gad to be typing, plenty of beer!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

StuC

posted on 29/11/09 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
I was into model warship combat for a number of years (I was active in it for a few years in New Zealand, then built quite a few ships in Australia). For me it was the perfect hobby then… modelling, engineering and design, then all the fun that comes when you actually do battle with your mates! The nice thing about it is that it’s not about going faster or making your ship stronger and you don’t keep throwing money at it – it’s about building in reliability and then having fun. See www.ausbg.org

I’ve moved on from that and am now in the planning phase of a locost build, but machining (miniature or full size) interests me as well, and that’s something I’d like to learn more about. I’m a mechanical engineer, but have no machining experience… yet

Cheers,
Stu

Richard Quinn

posted on 29/11/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with all these hobbies is that they tend to escalate. I have, in more recent times, been into mountain biking, racing RC powerboats and Autograss racing. All of these things are a bit like getting your arm caught in a mangle; they start off as being just a bit of fun but you just end up getting sucked in both financially and time-wise. The kit has proved to be a good compromise for me. The build got me away from things as and when I felt the urge and now I can take it out if and when I want. No set days, no appointments, it's just there if I want it.
How about just sticking to a bit of custom fabrication? That way you are still involved with cars, you can do it on your terms and you cover your costs.
Either that, or homebrew but that could be a slippery slope!

Staple balls

posted on 29/11/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Used to do a lot of mountain biking, until landing on my head broke me a bit too much.

Now mostly stick to online gaming with a load of mates, great way to kill time and relatively low-cost.

Oh, and cooking, that's a remarkably good time and moneysink.

[Edited on 29/11/09 by Staple balls]

speed8

posted on 29/11/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I snowboard. I try and get down to Cas-Vegas regularly during the year and manage a few trips a year in the winter. I'm not expert but have done some backcountry and a heli-drop and would like to do some more.
I used to paraglide fairly regular but haven't been out for a while. I got a bit disillusioned with the 50quid in petrol chasing a hill that the wind was on only for it to shift everytime you got there and not actually do any flying.

When I was younger I used to play rugby union/league and field hockey (wing/goalie) but my job means that team sports are pretty much not an option these days.

Don't expect to have too much free time once the little un arrives as you'll probably be exhausted from being woken up through the nights.

fesycresy

posted on 29/11/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well in a few years time your hobby will be taxi'ing (how do you spell it ?) for the money sucker(s).

How about Autograss ?

A few friends do it and it really can be budget based, one spends a fortune (powertec busa) but the other feck all, 205 with an Astra 1400 engine and box in the back.

I'll call you later want some info on camera shit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

speedyxjs

posted on 29/11/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
When im not working on the cars, im normally piano playing. That takes up the rest of my (small amopunt of) free time.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.