Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I.T Help again please
omega0684

posted on 1/12/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I.T Help again please

Morning chaps,

i have installed my new harddrive on my desktop now with windows 7 but i know need to transfer everything from my old harddrive but when i put it into the computer and boot it up it doesn't recognise the old harddrive in the 'my computer' window. (it did at first but now it doesn't)

second, i have reinstalled the drivers for my sound card and ran a speaker check, all working fine, but when i play a movie or play a music file there is no sound?

Any suggestions?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ko_racer

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
You need to make sure you have set the old hard drive jumper pins to be "Slave"

Then plug the hard drive into the spare connector on the cable attached to the new hard drive.

Make sure you then go into the system bios, usually F1 or F2 as the machine is turned on. Make sure the settings for the primary slave drive is set to auto.

This should then show up when you start windows.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
If your drives are SATA then the jumpers won't make any difference - but IDE drives will need to be configured as above.

Have you tried Windows Update for sorting out all of the extra drivers required? My system needed about 30 updates before it was fully functional.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

omega0684

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
ok harddrives are sorted, any ideas on the sound issue?

vinny1275

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about Win7, but in earlier versions there was a drop-down in the sounds control panel which said "Use this device for audio playback" - if it hadn't found the correct drivers at some point this was sometimes empty - drop it down and select your sound card and you should be OK.....

Other things to check are the advanced volume settings, check the main and Wave settings aren't very low....

HTH

Vince

spidersaurus

posted on 1/12/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
maybe sound codec file from music missing?
i thought windows 7 was suppose to update everything for you though.

omega0684

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
sound now working, cheers guys

vinny1275

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
what was it in the end?

omega0684

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
deselected the sound card and then reselected it and it started working, im not going to ask why, lol.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.