Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Conversion
Alan M

posted on 3/12/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE Conversion

I've decided to upgrade my 1300 Xflow locost using a 16v 4AGE. I want to mate it to my existing 4 speed ford box and use twin Dellortos. What modifications will I need to make? Where can I buy engine mounts, adaptor plates from, etc? All advice welcome. This is a definite project as I've bought the engine
Hammerhead

posted on 3/12/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
i think tiger sportscars do the parts you need. good place to start.
Alan M

posted on 3/12/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ta!
austin man

posted on 3/12/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
why not upgrade to the 5 speed box at the same time they can be had for £40.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Alan M

posted on 3/12/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I just like the weight and simplicity of the 4 speed + I won't need to source propshaft
nib1980

posted on 3/12/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
let me know if you find anyone that makes the engine mounts cos i couldn't and am thinking of making my own.
Pete Jordan

posted on 3/12/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I'm fitting a 16V 4AGE into my MK Indy. Raw engineering (RAW) fit these engines into the Striker, so can supply all that you need for the conversion, although they can be quite pricey. I seem to remember I paid about £270 for the type 9 gearbox bellhousing, clutch kit and nuts/bolts conversion kit (lloking at their site, that kit now seems to be £350!). You can get a suitable inlet manifold from them as well and Fensport (FENSPORT) also sell these manifolds (currently £125 each). Make sure you get the right manifold, as in case you don't know, there are small port heads and large port heads and you need to get a manifold to match the head.

Raw Engineering also does engine mounts, which cant the engine to the right angle (the engine needs to be canted over about 7 degrees towards the exhaust side).

I have also seen some parts ie manifolds, bellhousings on Ebay, so its worth a look there to get them cheaper.

Oh, and one other thing is that all the nuts/bolts tappings on the engine are metric fine threads rather than standard metric threads.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Pete

Alan M

posted on 3/12/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete. I'm buying the engine from
russbost and will collect it in the next couple of weeks. It feels like a good project to get stuck into over the Winter

bimbleuk

posted on 3/12/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the bell housing does bump up the price but I believe only one company is actually making them (not RAW or fensport themselves).

Don't forget to get a spigot bearing from RAW as its custom to take the type 9 gearbox nose. The clutch kit uses a standard Toyota cover plate but the fraction plate has a ford centre spline fitment again to match the type 9.

RAWs original sheet metal mounts are a bit weak and can bend on track. I think they use tubular mounts now which should be much better.

[Edited on 3-12-09 by bimbleuk]

ghuncha

posted on 3/12/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
i will like to add that some rwd transmission came from toyota also that are bolt on, t50, t40, k50, k40...

t50 with 22 spline output is the most sought after one.... and all are quiet rare

i myself am building a locost with 4age sillvertop and t50 tranny

rabbit

posted on 3/12/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
4age

shame you already got your engine i am taking out a complete eng/box /prop/exhaust and all running gear from my stuart taylor soon will be posting on locost but all parts were supplied by raw i think they still do most parts
Werner Van Loock

posted on 3/12/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest way is the T50 gearbox, strong enough for stock engine, even with dellorto's, only problem is that they're quite rare

T50 is also a lot lighter then a Type 9

I'm converting mine to throttle bodies and have a manifold with carbs up for sale soon, small port, but also fits big port

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
COREdevelopments

posted on 3/12/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i am running a 4age at the moment on twin 40 dellotos with megajolt and it goes very well! Am considering doing a turbo conversion so if you are interested i might have a set of dellortos for sale pretty soon.
U2U me
Mine is a late small port engine.
Thanks

Rob

Also Rabbit is the box a t50 which you are removing?

[Edited on 3/12/09 by COREdevelopments]

Alan M

posted on 3/12/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've already got the Dellortos. It sounds like a T50 or T40 box may be the way to go if I can source one
nib1980

posted on 4/12/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rabbit
shame you already got your engine i am taking out a complete eng/box /prop/exhaust and all running gear from my stuart taylor soon will be posting on locost but all parts were supplied by raw i think they still do most parts

let me know when you do I'd like a few things!

P.S. Rabbit you have a U2U

[Edited on 4/12/09 by nib1980]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.