Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Awd locost?
hotmalevb

posted on 5/12/09 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
Awd locost?

I know, that this has been talked about alot but has anyone done it. If you could possibly post pics, links, or even videos I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys can't wait to see what you have to show.
Miks15

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
i know this isnt much help as i can remember his nam but someone on here is doing one, im sure someone willbe along with a name if i dont remember it first
big_wasa

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
liam is your man and have a look at his pics.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=Liam

I think the transfer box on the on the 4wd T9 was the main problem ????

snapper

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Saw a Dax some time ago with the 4x4 stuff from a Sierra fitted, 4x4 front hubs, front diff moved forward with diff cradle made up, longer front prop.
Biggest problem was the transfer box on the side of the Type 9 or MT75 as this sticks out of the right hand side of the box and makes the drivers side tunnel much wider, your left leg rubs on the tunnel.
You could i suppose move the whole drive train over to the left a few inches

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

gottabedone

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
The Dax was the Quadra if it's any use

linky thing

Steve

ali f27

posted on 5/12/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
4x4

Hi i will get mark to get in touch his works a treat user name purdy
coozer

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I know a man with a 4x4 turbo Dax, its insane and looks a lot of fun... the speed, noise. etc is addictive

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TPG

posted on 5/12/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have the not so ideal donor for that idea,linky.Not exactly light but at least you'll be able to keep a non Q plate.........I'll get me coat

..Which was nice..

hotmalevb

posted on 6/12/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, this is going to give me the inspiration to continue with what I want to do. Something along the lines of vr6 and 4x4 still working on what tranny i'm going to use. But this just gives me something to think about. And the proof that it can be done.

Vince

hotmalevb

posted on 8/12/09 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
Any others? This has been some great info so far, I hope to see more.

Vince

nz_climber

posted on 8/12/09 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure the VR6 has the engine mounted east/west - so transplanting the whole system into a locost chassis wouldnt work. As the engine would be in front of the front wheels. And a east/west set up is far to wide to fit in the front of a locost chassis...

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

twinturbo

posted on 9/12/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to go 4x4 as well as I have all the parts on the shelf.

the VR6 VW is transverse so would not be any use in a front mounted narrow body. and the Syncro 4x4 is not the best.

If you want a 2.9 24V v6
then the Granada Cosworth with the sierra 4x4 transmissson is the way to go.

as for the tunnel.....

Well one option would be to go LHD...

TT

Liam

posted on 9/12/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
As above - have a look in my photo archive for some details. You'll struggle to use anything other than the ford transmission because you need the front and rear diffs to be independant of the gearbox/engine. Transfer box front prop output bulge falls under your raised knee and really isn't much of an issue. BMW is another option and puts the bulge/front prop on the other side, but the 4WD 3 and 5 series are very rare (almost unheard of?). Nissan skyline another possible but all much bigger and beefier (OK in a viento?) and you'd have to include a lot of electronics to get the centre clutch (not a mechanical diff) working properly.

Mine and Dax's solutions to making it all fit and work are slightly different. Any questions just ask away.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twinturbo

posted on 9/12/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cool...

That's good news.

I have a 2.9 24v and a 4x4 box, diff , hubs, etc on the shelf.

TT

aitch

posted on 9/12/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
mad idea but this could be done easily with a mid engined BEC and 3 sierra or MX5 diffs

chain drive to a converted diff to split front to rear then one more at either end.
only problem would be getting the ratios right.

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hotmalevb

posted on 10/12/09 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
Well what I am planning, as of now, is a Toyota transmission from a v6 truck from like 89-95 and convert the transfer case to be full time 4x4/awd. The lhd drive is no problem as i'm in the states and that is the plan anyway. Also I will be making an adapter for the tranny to engine. I am going to see if I can convert a supra flywheel to bolt to the vr6, then just use a supra clutch also as these trannys where in older supras also. So in my head things are falling into place sort of. Thats if I can get the transfer case to work and also the adapter plate.

Vince

twinturbo

posted on 10/12/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aitch
mad idea but this could be done easily with a mid engined BEC and 3 sierra or MX5 diffs

chain drive to a converted diff to split front to rear then one more at either end.
only problem would be getting the ratios right.

aitch

I am not sure that would work,

as soon as the fronts or rear break free all the power would go to the slipping wheels.

perhaps with an LSD it may work...

TT

alistairolsen

posted on 10/12/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
3 diffs means anywhere between 9:1 and 16:1 reduction

My Build Thread

NS Dev

posted on 10/12/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm interesting.....I'm looking at a project for a slightly unhinged customer of ours, and he suggested a frontera gearbox (he's using a vauxhall XE 16v turbo engine)

Its not a locost, but still of interest. initially I laughed it off but having looked further it would seem not such a daft idea.

It doesn't (I don't think anyway) have the centre viscous diff that the ford transmission has, but then for road use that shouldn't be too much of an issue, and his main use for the car is drag racing, where a locked centre diff could be useful.

only problem is usually these transfer boxes only allow center diff locking in low range, which would be no use at all..........

anybody know anything about frontera gearboxes???

It would certainly bolt straight onto the XE engine (in 2.2 frontera form) and the input shaft on the 2.4 ones has the right heavy duty spline for the paddle clutch he's using, so with a bit of jiggery pokery that would work.

I'm guessing that the internals would be the same as the carlton/omega box, and we're using one now with 400hp so that should be ok....

I guess the transfer box might be the weak link

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

alistairolsen

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I know nothing about them, but I'd be keen to hear any comments anyone else has! Id completely overlooked the frontera in my list of inline 4x4 boxes!

My Build Thread

twinturbo

posted on 10/12/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Zuki SJ413? What's that got for a box?

TT

twinturbo

posted on 10/12/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have just realised the big problem,

I had looked at liams pictures and not paid much attention to the cantaliver inboard suspension..

Now I realise the shox in their normal position would be far far too cosey with the drive shaft...

TT

Liam

posted on 10/12/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
NS Dev - without knowing the sort of vehicle, power etc, it's hard to comment, but generally imho it's hard to see 4WD adding more to the drag racing equation than it would take away with the extra weight. With reasonable power and sticky tyres, the front wheels aren't contributing much at launch if they're even on the ground at all. After that you're just lugging all that weight up the 1/4 mile and probably have enough traction with two wheels anyway. But as i said, all depends on the vehicle/power/tyres/etc.

Dont know much about frontera boxes other than they look like a bigger chunkier version of the ford one with an extra lever sticking out the top.

There are loads of options for inline 4WD trannies if you consider jeeps/off-roaders/etc, but the problem is, frontera included, they mostly dont have centre diffs making them useless for the road (though drag racing ought to be OK if you select 2WD after the run to get back to the pits!). When you select 4WD they simply lock the front and rear outputs together. This is gonna be the case in either 4hi or 4lo, so not sure what you're worried about in that regard, NS Dev.

Land rover is slightly different in that they are permanent 4WD with a centre diff, but do have selectable hi and lo ranges. Wouldn't want all that in a sports car, though. Ford is still the best bet imho and also gives you that 2/3 rear torque bias that few other 4WD systems have.

Twinturbo - Dax just mount the shock to the rear of the driveshaft so you don't have to go inboard. I did for various other reasons.

Liam

hotmalevb

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is there something wrong with not having a center diff? Is it bad to have the power split evenly to the front and rear?

Vince

[Edited on 12/12/09 by hotmalevb]

quadra

posted on 12/12/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I know a man with a 4x4 turbo Dax, its insane and looks a lot of fun... the speed, noise. etc is addictive

I do too , and I agree with the above. The main area that the car excels is coming out of slow corners, you can just put so much more power down without slidling around. The Ford MT75 gearbox is good for around 300bhp max, but is a little agricultural in action.

Cheers Mike

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.