Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2003 R1 throttle cable
r1_manx

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
2003 R1 throttle cable

I've been looking at what needs doing for the throttle cable on my 2003 R1 mini. So far, i've removed both of the main cables (pull and push) and then bought a standard push bike brake cable as recommended by some other users on here. Now the cylinder shaped nipple on my bike cable is too big to fit into the hole on the throttle body. Do I now need to cut the nipple off (sounds horrible :0) and then find another of suitable size that can be soldered on or screwed/clamped on? Would appreciate any advice on this guys, just want to find an ideal solution....

Cheers

If im not in action, im in traction!

progers

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you are careful you can simply file the existing nipple down so that it fits the hole in the throttle body. The alternative is, as you say to cut and solder a new nipple on. I did the former

- Paul

r1_manx

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that Paul....I've got a set of small files that would probably do the job so will have a go with that method first and see how I get on.

stuart_g

posted on 10/12/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
MNR supplied me a cable for my R1 powered Vortx when I built it which fitted without modification. Maybe a call to them to see where they get them from or could they supply you one.
I thought bicycle cables where the correct size. I need one aswell so interested in the outcome.

afj

posted on 10/12/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
3.99 push bike brake cable for mine from halfords nipple end fits TBs fine

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

r1_manx

posted on 14/12/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well, in the hunt for a throttle cable end that fits my 03 R1, I went down to my local push bike shop at lunch and showed them the R1 throttle cable, explaining that I need a push bike brake cable with the same size nipple on the end. I checked both types as apparentky Shimano have a slightly different nipple on them, and neither of them match the R1 nipple size? Does the nipple on the Halfords cable match the R1 exactly? The guy in the workshop at the bike place said there are only 2 standard sizes available. I can always get a custom one made up but hoped to find a cheap solution in the push bike cable. Any advice would be great.

afj

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
arrrggghhh now i remember i filled my nipple down ever so slightly

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lococost

posted on 15/12/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
arrrggghhh now i remember i filled my nipple down ever so slightly

that sounds painfull!

Peteff

posted on 15/12/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I got a universal scooter throttle cable from the bike shop. There's a nipple on one end which fits the carbs and the other end is blank so I fitted an electrical connector at the pedal end.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.