Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: it was going quite swimmingly ...
02GF74

posted on 11/12/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
it was going quite swimmingly ...

.... until I drop a head on to see if I can connect it to the radiator.

no, cannot use existing thermsotat so would need to make a custom one, along the lines of this. (the hose will be one ofthese bump hoses to allow some movement between engine and radiator.

unless someone can suggest an alternative. Rescued attachment DSC05614.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC05614.JPG

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
is there room to put a swirl pot in the top hose somewhere away to one side? You might be able to do that and pretend its strictly for de-aerating the coolant rather than sorting the routing??

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/12/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
stick the standard one on the wrong way round then get a horseshoe hose to connect it.

or make an adapter plate in ali to match the bottom profile and tap it to take the stock one at the new angle

[Edited on 11-12-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

02GF74

posted on 11/12/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
stick the standard one on the wrong way round then get a horseshoe hose to connect it.

I'd like to see you try; 2 more photos to give you an ideas of the problem.

top view: Rescued attachment DSC05615.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC05615.JPG

02GF74

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
and side view...

and cannot find hump hose in 32 mm size Rescued attachment DSC05616.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC05616.JPG

pewe

posted on 11/12/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Use the alternative mounting position for F27s i.e. mount the rad in front of the shocks then use long ali. or silicone tubing to the thermostat & pump.
Depending on how tall the rad is you may want to angle it back slightly to fit in the nosecone (meant to improve cooling anyway). You then have the rad nearer the front for better air-flow and a choice of push or pull electric thermo fan.
Cheers, Pewe

02GF74

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
not possible - radiator will only fit there and even then I need to do some mods to the steering.

Peteff

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
What's a hump hose ? If you mean the all purpose ones with the ridges avoid them like the plague they crack on the thin bit when you put a bend in them, mine only lasted months. I replaced them with metal bends and ordinary pipe and they never failed again.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lsdweb

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if this would be any good?
Photo

It's a Fiesta thermostat housing (Burton's sell it I think)

Wyn

Peteff

posted on 11/12/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
You need a loop to take it away from the stat housing and come back round under itself to the radiator. I reckon you could make it from three nineties and some pipe. There must be something on here that will do the job for you, how much is it worth to get it connected.

[Edited on 11/12/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Breaker

posted on 11/12/09 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
try to fit something like this ?

hicost blade

posted on 12/12/09 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
What about a 99 transit thermostat housing mounted the wrong way round??

http://strictlyeuropeanparts.com/images/Ford%20Transit%20Thermostat%20Housing.gif

with a 135 or 180 hose

omega0684

posted on 12/12/09 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
what about a 135 degree bend

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turbodisplay

posted on 12/12/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Use spiral hose, but use some industrial srength one, i got it from abbey hose.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/12/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
keep the suggestion coming.

it's a pi%%er for sure, you try to save some money by buying £ 70 alloy rad instead of forking out £ 300+ for custom one then get probs like this

hump hose:

purpose is to allow for road/engine vibrations which might otherwise damage your pipe network..... but smallest is 41 mm - I need 32 mm.

Don't forget that a rokcer cover sits there so that the thermostat cannot be pointed backwards.

I do have a special made 'stat whose outlet is parallel to the radiator but there is not quite enough room - I may need to look at shortening the outlest of both the radiaotr and thermostat.

steve m

posted on 12/12/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
What's a hump hose ? If you mean the all purpose ones with the ridges avoid them like the plague they crack on the thin bit when you put a bend in them, mine only lasted months. I replaced them with metal bends and ordinary pipe and they never failed again.

mine is still on the car and about 11 years old now so perhaps you got a bad one ?

looking at the original problem, as my car is a crossflow, i would put a loop in as suggested, or a swirl pot, is a good idea, perhaps the swirl pot could also be the filler ??

The orginal idea of a cranked cardboard tube WILL not work, as for one it is to short, and will not give any movement between the engine and rad, this would mean somthing willl break, and it would not be the short hose

or could the top hose on the rad be moverd to further away to at least give a decent bend ?

unless the rad is fixed to the engine ???

also your rad looks very big ? are you expecting cooling problems ?

02GF74

posted on 12/12/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
What's a hump hose ? see above

The orginal idea of a cranked cardboard tube WILL not work, as for one it is to short, and will not give any movement between the engine and rad, this would mean somthing willl break, and it would not be the short hose.
yep - that is my conclusion too, especially since I cannot find a hump hose of that size.

or could the top hose on the rad be moved to further away
that would work - it'll be more like the oringal mk2 rad.... but I cannot do that nor do I know if it can be done - the core on these aluminium rads is "soldered" in, I imagine that the header tanks are welded before the core is fitted hence the heat of welding may result n leaks..... but if the rad is filled with water up to the tank, then that should work.

also your rad looks very big ? are you expecting cooling problems ?
bloody hope not!! engine had cooked - I am going oever all the possible causes to eliminate this happening again, larger high performance rad being one option.

[Edited on 12/12/09 by 02GF74]

flibble

posted on 12/12/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Capri mk3 bottom hose might fit with a bit of manhandling, not sure if they're 32mm though I'd expect they are?

pewe

posted on 12/12/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Why can't you mount it in front of the front vertical chassis rail?
Both live axle and IRS F27 build manuals show the inboard mounting as an alternative position to the recommended one at the front of the chassis.
Have you altered the front layout?
Cheers, Pewe

02GF74

posted on 13/12/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
two alternatives are:
i. very front of nose cone - radiator too big.
ii. in front of the chassis rail - wish bones are welded to chunky angle iron that give lower to/fro adjustment (castor?) so bolt and anlgle iron edge (this can be removd) mean radiator sits higher so won't go under the nosecone, plus the top outlet is right against the nose cone so won't be possible to connect to that.

current thinking is to make thermostat with vertical outlet , take a 90 degree bend to it points back and then a Uey to connect to thermostat.

hosing is aloou plate with central hjole then a cut down hose joiner welded to it.

there just is enough room to get past the rocker cover.

[Edited on 13/12/09 by 02GF74] Rescued attachment hoses.JPG
Rescued attachment hoses.JPG

Willie

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
On my locost I made a header tank here, so I would suggest you make a custom take-off.

Just get a lump of 1/4" steel plate to make the base plate, then buy a nice tight madrel bend and weld it on to come out at 90deg to your radiator inlet (In plan), at the same height, then connect it with a 90deg hose.

Don't bodge it with hose, do it right and you'll be glad you did.

Willie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.