Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rust in coolant
joscorstjens

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
rust in coolant

I flushed my engine (pinto, Tiger standard rad) some months ago and now, refilled with coolant, and now I see rust again in my coolant. Did I miss something in the flushing procedure? Coolant is supposed to contain anti-rust additive I thought?
tia

Steve G

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
You are using the standard Tiger radiator?? If so it has steel tanks which can rust.
mookaloid

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
You are using the standard Tiger radiator?? If so it has steel tanks which can rust.

not to mention the engine block being cast iron - oh and the cylinder head too.

Seriously though I don't think you can stop rust altogether. Just give it a good flush and change the coolant every couple of years.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

joscorstjens

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Do I need to remove the thermostat to do a proper flushing? I don't want to connect-hose/heat/disconnect-hose/cool-down/refill 10 times.
Davegtst

posted on 13/12/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I would take the thermostat out and stick a hose pipe in the top hose and run it until the water goes clear. I would also flush out the rad and heater matrix with the hose aswell. Make sure you add enough antifreeze when you are done. you are always going to get some rust from an old type cast block and head though.
Danozeman

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
If it was rusty you would need to flush it a couple of times and use good quality coolant. Id run it with a bit stronger mix aswell.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Having spent many years with old engines I would def remove the thermostat, and rad hoses. Flush and reverse flush a few times, reconnect and chuck some radflush of your choice in. Follow the instructions, then drain, flush and refill with a 50% antifreeze solution. I like the modern pink stuff (plus I get it for a tenner a pack from Vauxhall) That should stop any rusting, works in my old Triumphs.
Leaving an engine drained gets them corroding in double quick time.

designer

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
When refilling, always use antifreeze or a rust inhibitor.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to give that modern long life antifreeze stuff a go in mine (ford stuff for me, cause I've got some left from the focus)

it seems to have worked well in the focus, 8 years on and its still nice and clean looking
(and thats a zetec so its got to coupe with iron, steel and alloy all mixed)

[Edited on 14/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

cosmick

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
This is where people get confused between coolant and inhibitor. Anti Freeze is exactly what it says and will only lower the freezing point of your coolant. You need to look at what you are buying and make sure that it has a rust inhibitor included in the mix otherwise you will get rust coming out next time you drain it. Most modern car have all alluminium engines and so have an allumium inhibitor to stop heads getting eaten away and causing eventual head gasket failure. Enquire about a coolant that will protect iron as well.
bigpig

posted on 14/12/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried all sorts and I still get some residue of brown rust. I thought at first it was combustion gasses, but then with a sniffer I found it was fine + then the deposits were thinned out it was a fine brown ratehr than soot.

I've just filled with mixed pink coolant (the acid based one) as its cheap with a trade card from Halfords. It still has some deposits, but unless I get the engine professionally cleaned I don't think its ever gonna get resolved.

ss1turbo

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect there's a dirty great clump of silt at the bottom of the block which is gradually breaking up - flushing will gradually get it out, but i think you need to try something more "aggressive" (I've used both cheap brand Cola - not diet/light - and also Sterident tablets as used for cleaning false teeth) - followed by multiple flushings of cold water. Worked for me...and much cheaper than RadFlush etc.

Long live RWD...

bigpig

posted on 18/12/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Now I didn't even think of cola or sterident. I bet that would be fun doing them both at the same time

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.