Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modern engine Sealants
FASTdan

posted on 14/12/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Modern engine Sealants

Ford specify loctite 5900 for sealing various bits of the duratec but at £25 a tube I dont much fancy it.

Are there any suitable and cheaper alternatives that people have used successfully?

I could just use any old sealer (bathroom, red hermatite etc) but I'd rather not take it in bits again if its not suitable

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
flak monkey

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Really needs to be the right stuff as it needs to be oil resistant.

Loctitie 5900 is specially designed for flange sealing in automotive applications, and specifically to be resistant to oil at high temps.

Do it with the right stuff, then you will only need to do it once, rather than spend £10 on a different sealer and still then have to pay £25 for a tube of 5900

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
still cheaper than the £70 stuff I had to use when I rebuilt a volvo 3ltr v6, stupid stuff was sold in tubes that could do 4 engines

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
The man has a point...

good advice i have not followed in the past. There is some truth behind the phrase.... "buy cheap, buy twice"

but that being said if you find an equally good sealant thats cheaper then go for it.

adithorp

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use basic silcone/bath sealer. It gives off gasses as it cures and these are harmfull to some of the sensors on the engine.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bigpig

posted on 14/12/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
The man has a point...

good advice i have not followed in the past. There is some truth behind the phrase.... "buy cheap, buy twice"

but that being said if you find an equally good sealant thats cheaper then go for it.

AOL to that, I've learnt enough times that paying the extra for the right thing is generally cheaper in the long run.

RAYLEE29

posted on 14/12/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
You could try this loctite 5910 havent used it my self but it is supposed to be just the job if you read the description
Ray

sebastiaan

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
For a duratec, the sealant used also plays an important role in the crankshaft bearing clearances (at least, when I'm correct in thinking the duratec has a girdle/ladder type lower brace that includes the main bearing caps, or was that only on the rover K-series?)

edit: hmm, just looked at the duratec, and it's a bit different to the K-series. If one needs to put a sealant between the girdle and the block then this still holds. If not, then I stand corrected....

[Edited on 14/12/09 by sebastiaan]

flak monkey

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
For a duratec, the sealant used also plays an important role in the crankshaft bearing clearances (at least, when I'm correct in thinking the duratec has a girdle/ladder type lower brace that includes the main bearing caps, or was that only on the rover K-series?)

edit: hmm, just looked at the duratec, and it's a bit different to the K-series. If one needs to put a sealant between the girdle and the block then this still holds. If not, then I stand corrected....

[Edited on 14/12/09 by sebastiaan]

Nope no sealant between cradle and block.

So if you can find an equivalent sealant you can use it. But do the job right the first time

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

FASTdan

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just an update on this...

In an attempt not to pay for the proper stuff I emailed loctite explaining that I was building a prototype bespoke gearbox for a machine that would become part of our standard range and would like to trial some of their loctite 5900 and could they please provide a sample.......

I should say that I do indeed work for a machine builder so this in some way could have been correct.......

THEN THE REP RANG ME AT WORK! haha. red handed!

After much blagging I came clean and he was remarkably amicable. He came back to me but explained the distribution center had shut down for the xmas period. But he then went on to explain that Loctite Instant Gasket is indeed almost identical. He did say if I was still stuck in the new year to give him a call and he'd get a sample out too......jolly nice chap considering I tried to pull a fast one.

Pricewise per L im sure its not any better, but at least your not forking out for a mahoosive tube (as seen on the net) for £25-30.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.