Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It weren't like this when I were a lad
zilspeed

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
It weren't like this when I were a lad

Or was it.

This snow, I've certainly seen winters before, but not consistently.
The Sarf East exepcially seems to be getting hammered to unprecedented levels. The last few winters seem a bit harsher than the preceeding nearly forty which I can remember. (44 now).

When you look at the likes of Canada, there is a huge amount of it which is much further south than we are here in the uk, yet they have much warmer summers and much colder winters.
all because of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

Or rather the dependency on the scenario in the link not taking place.

The question is, while you look out on the snow/ ice / fog.

Is the climate changing ?
What happens to the uk if the Gulf Stream and more specifically the North Atlantic Drift were to stop ?

Is that what's happening right now, or are we all being a bit dramatic ?

Lastly, what's the correct size of snow tyre to put on a pair of winter steelies to replace the 205/50x15"s on alloys on the Golf GTI ?
(Some motoring content there)

turbodisplay

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
South of france is freezing due to no gulf stream. Worse case senario we will be as cold as moscow.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HOL

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd better buy a job lot of fur hats now then!!

Ill make a killing down the market!

smart51

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Average temperatures over a whole year are higher now than any time in the last 350 years (look up central England temperature). The difference in the last few years are wilder weather than before. More frequent cold snaps in winter. Whole months of rain in the summer. There is no doubt that the weather in this country has gone mad in the last few years but I'm not sure the data is there to support your gulf stream theory.

HOL

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Lastly, what's the correct size of snow tyre to put on a pair of winter steelies to replace the 205/50x15"s on alloys on the Golf GTI ?
(Some motoring content there)

Would it not be cheaper to buy some of those plastic -banded snow chains.

Agriv8

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Is the climate changing YES - It has done consistently since the dawn of the planet !!!

but surly the following has got to have a bigger affect on global warming.

1, the ozone layer reduction over the north pole ( this is now no longer in decline 1? ) changing weather patterns

2, Deforestation every ware

3, increased world population

My other thoughts are

1 the Romans were growing wine in the UK in the roman times (documented)

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise

3 why happening now rather than victorian times

4 I suspect the UK's Impact is minimal whan looking a tht esize of China and Amerca's CO output

but its a good excuse for the government to TAX us more.

Regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
1, the ozone layer reduction over the north pole ( this is now no longer in decline 1? ) changing weather patterns

Yes, this was causes by CFCs in aerosols and fridges. As soon as we stopped it, the ozon holes started to close. Job done.

2, Deforestation every ware

Yes, a big problem. Forests extract CO2 from the air and turn it into wood. Fewer trees = more atmospheric CO2. This is what people refer to as man made climate change.

3, increased world population

My other thoughts are

1 the Romans were growing wine in the UK in the roman times (documented)

... and we do now. No change there then.

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise.

Central England Temperatures have been recorded the same way for 350 years. The results are lovely.

3 why happening now rather than victorian times

Global temperatures started to rise a year or two after the condensing steam engine was patented. At first only the UK was at it but it wasn't long before other countries followed us. Even China is now industrialising.

4 I suspect the UK's Impact is minimal whan looking a tht esize of China and Amerca's CO output

UK man made emissions since the invention of the steam engine are I believe the second highest in the world. The US is slightly more and China is catching up fast. We're still one of the worst in the world but about average for Western Europe. Ireland, Canada and Australia are particularly bad, per person. Of course the UK only makes up 1% of the worlds population but we consume 3 times as much natural resource as the planet can support per person

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Don’t panic, snowing at this time of year is quite normal and in summer it’s much warmer than now so your not all going to die of frost bite

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Don’t panic, snowing at this time of year is quite normal and in summer it’s much warmer than now so your not all going to die of frost bite

Oh, I know.
There's no sense of panic here. It's not like were actually in control of it happening or not.

However, it does appear to me that the seasons in recent years are become more distinct rather than "not particualrly hot or cold plus a bit damp."
Which we seemed to get for years, that's all.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
However, it does appear to me that the seasons in recent years are become more distinct rather than "not particualrly hot or cold plus a bit damp."

Except down here in the South West where we just don't seem to get any serious amount of snow. I can clearly remember large snow falls shutting schools on several occasions when I was a nipper, but we haven't had more than a sprinkling for many years.

Personally the lying, cheating scum at CRU have removed any doubts I had about anthropomorphic climate change; I always had a strong suspicion the whole "global warming" panic was simply another government plan to extract more money, and the Climategate scandal + the Copenhagen farce adds a lot of weight to this idea.

I'm far more inclined to believe our overdue ice age is going to start in the not too distant future; the current screwy climate does fit well with the predictions chaotic behaviour prior to the start of a new ice age...

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Oh, I know.
There's no sense of panic here. It's not like were actually in control of it happening or not.

Well I’m only 36 and I remember when a kid literally half the house covered in snow drifts then warm winters with virtually none then snow in June! Britain is not a good place to judge any climate change as its well known to everyone who lives here as having highly unpredictable weather

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Peteff

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
It's only snowed for a week, what you on about ? Some of the pictures in the news have made me laugh, there is still grass showing through the snow and the roads have an inch or two on them. I can remember walking to work for a fortnight because the roads were impassable many years ago. You're being brainwashed by the government global warming hype to get more taxes out of you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I remember when I were a lad, being told by my primary school teacher that it was dangerous to walk out onto the ice that was on the sea in Swansea bay! That would have been around 1963...

Interestingly, even though it was VERY cold for quite a few weeks, cars and buses were still moving around the town.

The problem in the UK is that we're just not used to snow - other countries that get it every winter have developed techniques for dealing with it. For example, in some parts of Scandinavia they don't grit the roads - they just go over with a snow plough to move the bulk of it. Cars are expected/obliged to have winter tyres, and know how to drive in those conditions. I believe that fitting snow chains forms part of the driving test in some regions...

Agriv8

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

... and we do now. No change there then.

2 surly we have only been monitoring temperatures accurately for 100 years or so how can the data be used to predict temperature rise.

Central England Temperatures have been recorded the same way for 350 years. The results are lovely.

Today data pulled electronically from stations and averaged ?

Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer 1714 so how can we have 350 years of accurate data ? how accurate was thermometer 1 vs thermometer 2

I belive the climate is changing but I belive we ony have 100 years of accurate data how long has the weather been happening on this planet ?

Maybe its just my mis-trust of statisic's

I am with David Bellamy on this one.

regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

neilj37

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Vegaterians are the main cause of global warming if you think about. The biggest contribution to greenhouse gases is the methane produced by cows. If more people ate cows then there would be less gas, hence its the vegaterians fault
scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I think you may have a point there Neil...

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Frankie Boyle's Classic Line on Vegetarianism in Mock-the-Week

NSFW!

It's Evolution Baby!

johnston

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing that was on some documentry I watcged.

There was more Co2 in the air when volcano's were active than there is now.

2nd the first living organisms (singled celled) breathed co2 not oxygen!!

Are we having an affect, most definitely. Is it as big as the Gov and greenies would have us think, prob not.

Are folk ill prepared and un-trained for snowy conditions most definitely . Practically everyone going past my house this morning has skidded, no speed involved just braked everytime the went on to the compacted snow!!

twybrow

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ - go and lookup the definition of climate, and the definition of weather. Two very different definitions....

So what evidence do you have to refute the goverment and scientific claims on climate change? Have you actually read and understood the contect of what was said by the CRU? Armchair politics is all very well, but it is people like you that results in no decision making at Copenhagen. The scientific evidence is compelling, and only a fool (or a Bush) would argue against it without some strong evidence to the contrary.... Not all things the goverment do are about squeezing you for tax money, occasionaly, they might just be onto something!

Are you really prepared to sit back and wait a couple of generations, and explain to your grandchildren your rationale for doing nothing....?

[Edited on 22/12/09 by twybrow]

Bluemoon

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's just winter, the UK sometimes get's a harsh one.. Our memory's seem to only be accurate for about 3 years; don't worry about it last harsh one was probably 13yrs ago, and we all forgot..

Like above climate and weather are different things, weather is sort term year to year stuff (like this winter) climate is a longer time scale thing... Climate change might be responsible for example for our winters getting shorter (if you do gardening you might have noticed this)...

Dan

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Bluemoon]

BenB

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
The climate is changing and some of the problem is man-made.

On the other hand, half the time people are complaining that winters are too warm, now they're complaining they're too cold.

I guess it's only the winters of childhood memories that were always perfectly snowy and just the right temperature for snowball fights....

wilkingj

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Arrghh.... We are all Doomed

The world has been both hotter AND colder in the last 200,000 years. And thats all before the industrial revolution introduced CO2 emissions.

OK Man isnt helping the climate. But the World and Nature is bigger than Man alone, and will ultimately do what it wants.

Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate. Try controlling the Ocean, or a Volcano or even coastal erosion. History has show us that we just cannot do it. Thus Nature will always win.

When Man has become extinct, maybe its time for the insects to take over!

When the top 1/3 of the lattitudes of the world are covered in 1 kilometer of Ice and snow, it will take a LOT of JCB's to clear it!

Its all just a BIG PLOY by Governments in a bid to squeeze more TAXES out of a stupid and gullible public.

We will never learn will we??

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Agriv8

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

The world has been both hotter AND colder in the last 200,000 years. And thats all before the industrial revolution introduced CO2 emissions.

OK Man isnt helping the climate. But the World and Nature is bigger than Man alone, and will ultimately do what it wants.

Man is so arrogant that they THINK we can control the climate. Try controlling the Ocean, or a Volcano or even coastal erosion. History has show us that we just cannot do it. Thus Nature will always win.

When the top 1/3 of the lattitudes of the world are covered in 1 kilometer of Ice and snow, it will take a LOT of JCB's to clear it!

Its all just a BIG PLOY by Governments in a bid to squeeze more TAXES out of a stupid and gullible public.

Well put now stand as a polititian and I will vote for you !!!

twybrow

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

No one is arguing that the temperature of the earth has fluctuated widly over the years - simply, this is the first time when we have evidence to show it is us making this change. A single volcano erupting can affect the earth's climate for 2 years or more, but that is not what is in question - it is our contribution that is the concern. We are accelerating and instigating the changes.

It is not arrogant to want to preserve what is around you, and what you know - no one is saying we will control the climate, far from it - we are trying to limit our impact on the climate, which surely is a good thing either way...

If the goverment just wanted more taxes, then they would do so - don't be such a cynic!

RK

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I just want to say that Canada only looks bad in the pollution arena because of our small population. And the places that do the most complaining about us are those that have bigger, much more polluting populations. Even here, the most populous, energy hungry provinces are jumping all over Alberta. Hey, if you don't want the oil, don't drive a car, don't buy a product where the thing was sent by truck etc. etc. Just walk everywhere like in the old days. Except you CAN'T in this country, because there is no sidewalk half the time, the road is too narrow because of the snow, you'd freeze before getting there, and things are way to far apart.

You are lucky to have a half decent public transit system. Anything can be improved, yes, but here there is eff all most places outside Toronto and Montreal - hardly even buses.

Don't despair, your snow will soon be gone; ours won't be gone for 6 more months.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.