Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear...
scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Top Gear...

Been a regular source of debate over the last two seasons... is TG as good as it used to be?

The show's Producer even seems to think it's reaching it's sell-by-date...

LINKY

It's Evolution Baby!

gottabedone

posted on 22/12/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
As this format has been going for some years, it's hard to make one series as good if not better than the previous.

I think that it still has it's moments though

Steve

StevieB

posted on 22/12/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think the format works and I like the challenges.

The only thing that needs to change is the hamming up of the characters and the scripted 'accidents' that get staged all to often in the later series.

I think the pinnacle was the vietnam special, but even that was full of staged stunts that ruined it.

coozer

posted on 22/12/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think they need to re-hash the format, get out of that crap factory unit into a new more stylish look.

Just needs arefresh and maybe get back ot more normal, or maybe more kit cars? instead of the 100+K super car rut they are in.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scootz

posted on 22/12/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I thought TG probably peaked during the first couple of seasons after James May came on board...

Everything just 'clicked'.

It seems they've almost been trying 'too hard' in recent seasons and somewhere they'd forgotten about the core-attraction of the show... CARS! It's all become a bit of a sit-com of late.

It's Evolution Baby!

Toltec

posted on 22/12/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I watched a film called Incendiary the other day, close to the start the female lead had a narrative monologue where she mused on the definition of a council estate dweller like herself.

Not quite verbatim, butt pretty much as follows-

Often referred to as chav or pikey
Favourite food, Chicken Kiev
Favourite TV programme, Top Gear

Dangle_kt

posted on 22/12/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
3 blokes having a laugh is fine, 3 blokes being told to say each word and act like planks is not.

I liked the presenters pre-scripting, no radical changes needed, except to make it a bit more "normal".

The challenges are good, but when I see James clonk into his piano I very much doubt it is actually his - so I dont laugh. Its that sort of crap they need to take out.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by Dangle_kt]

smart51

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I think the format works and I like the challenges.

I think the pinnacle was the vietnam special, but even that was full of staged stunts that ruined it.

Yes, 100%. It was a brilliant show and is let down by 2 things. Un-funny, over-scripted, contrived "jokes" and an inevitable running out of new ideas. If they cut out most of the dicking about it would be twice as good. Get some new writing talent too and it will be back to the great show we all loved.

The Vietnam show would have been perfect except for the galleon and the painting. They were stupid ideas. The funny suits and the driving test were the right amount of silly in an otherwise perfect episode.

It was the same across the mackaddickaddi in Africa. A brilliant episode spoied by putting meat in James' car to attract game animals. Thankfully, they didn't make much of that.

At least the producer understands what is wrong with the show so there's a chance of putting it right. I'm thinking its time to regenerate again and have a 3rd generation Top Gear.

Wragie

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it has peaked but I would say that this 'season' has been rather lame compared to previous offerings. The challenges when good are the best part of the show. Well next to the Christmas 'news' (also rather lame this year).

They need to go back to the 100 pound super car challanges and such and cut down on the supercar road tests. Have been far too many and its hard to tell one review from the other.

Dave

David Jenkins

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't watched the last 2 or 3 series, but the re-runs of the old programmes on Dave have been amusing (mostly).

Maybe they need to throw the scripts away - just choose a list of topics and let the 3 presenters ramble freely (a bit like "Have I got news for you" - film 3 hours then edit all the REALLY rude/non-transmittable bits out to make a 30 minute programme)

Fifth Gear is not the greatest programme in the world - but they have come up with some stunning stuff occasionally, especially the crashes they've set up with MIRAS, e.g. the one that demonstrated what happens when a Volvo Estate piles into the back of a queue of stationary vehicles at 70mph - now that DID give me the creeps, especially the Fiat Punto that ended up 2' x 2' x 5' tall!

The other thing 5th Gear did was to tow a car into a collision with a tree at 30 - 40mph... not a good thing to happen, believe me.

morcus

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
They need more consumer type stuff, they don't need to get rid of the supercars, but they don't need the roadtest they do in them as none of us will ever buy one.

If anything 5th gear is close to going the same way as they're trying to be TG.

I'd like to see Mike Brewer join the topgear team.

designer

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
It's become an entertainment show using cars as props.

AND a very poor one!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 22/12/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon what they really need is to introduce a female into the mix - Vicky BH or maybe Sabine Schmitt (but keep the 3 current presenters too).

I reckon they could also do to get shot of the reasonably priced car, or maybe let one of the other guys have a go at doing the interviews as Clarkson clearly isn't very good at it.

ianclark1275

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
if they did the gumball 3000 or something?

the prearranged "accidents" are a bit lame sometimes, but i always watch it!

ask yourself this, what would you rather watch?

i suggest:

Top Locostgear

featuring a "reasonably priced star in a kit car"

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

sonic

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I like Topgear,however they could do with testing the sorts of cars that you and i could buy.keep the supercar bit as it is nice to see what a Lotto win could get you.

I always used to get Clarksons videos for Christmas every year but i have got fed up of seeing him destroying cars and blowing things up,its abit like last weeks show when he seamingly put that 635 BMW in a ditch and damaged the front wing and things WHY!!!! that was a nice car.

bassett

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think they just need to go back to the cars simple as that. As cars will always be part of peoples lives and will constantly evolve. This weeks just gone show had the noble on for what 10mins and then the rest was about holding a ..... sorry almost fell asleep again thinking about it.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

carpmart

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Look back at my old posts on the subject!

Its lost its direction!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

pajsh

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
"the show is now a global brand watched by an audience of 350 million across 90 different countries"

It's the same old story with the BBC. They always do a good show to death because the repeats make such good money overseas. (think Dad's Army, Vicar of Dibley, Last of the Summer Wine...etc etc.)

Unfortunately by the time the overseas market falls off and they realise it's no longer what people want, we have normally had to endure a couple of years of "the same old" tripe.

It's so staged now it's no longer funny and an insult to the inteligence. C,M & H are just milking it for what it's worth and I don't blame them. Time for a radical overhaul.

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the Vietnam and Africa specials were goiid, but I particularly liked the 24 hr race one because it was mostly not open to them screwing it up...

I wouldn't replace them as the presenters, but I think they are passed their prime. Like I said on an earlier post, it has turned a little lame, adn the above suggestions all semm like good ones, but it's still the better car program on tv at the moment...

hoots_min

posted on 22/12/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I watch religiously every week, but this serious have been so disapointed with it. I think Hammond is due for retirement - of the three he has the same expressions, the same punchlines and is the butt of the same jokes since the early days. The other two at least still have their moments but the old reruns on Dave show how much of May's wit has been dumbed down to the same level as the other two. It is a crying shame.

I think it needs a rehash of the format - new location, new sensible challenges (who actually thought the museum stint last week was a good idea and entertaining???), make it spontaneous and sack the guy who stages the 'accidents' - why did Clarkson leave the motorway to travel on a single carriageway, crash just to return to a motorway???

In summary: Get rid of Hammond, replace with Sabine, new studio, better challenges, spontaneity, no staging.

BBC - if you are looking for an ideas man...

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

Nash

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
The challengesare the real stars and make superb TV partly because of the great camerawork and editing and partly because of the roadtrip element:

The Polar Expedition
USA
Vietinam
24hr Race
Africa

South America next week is important for me because if it is as unremarkable as the rest of this series then I agree its time for a refresh.

BUT not the camera work and editing please for me that makes the programme significantly different to the "others" because of its cinematic feel.

Make it more intelligent as all ofthe presenters are nobodies fool so stop making them act like it!

IMHO............ Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

JoelP

posted on 23/12/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
If TG was a sitcom then everyone would say it was boring tripe, but since its car related people give it more credit than its due. The characters have been ruined. Hammond is an annoying fool, Clarkson a childish buffoon, and May the only one with a chance of redeeming himself, as he hasnt been so thoroughly ruined by the writers.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/12/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hoots_min
I watch religiously every week, but this serious have been so disapointed with it. I think Hammond is due for retirement - of the three he has the same expressions, the same punchlines and is the butt of the same jokes since the early days. The other two at least still have their moments but the old reruns on Dave show how much of May's wit has been dumbed down to the same level as the other two. It is a crying shame.

I think that sums it up very well. It has gone downhill this season and whilst I really enjoy most of the challenges they do (no matter how rigged) the stupid ones where they just smash up cars for no reason do nothing for me at all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.